Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > General Spyder Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Its the evil YouTube guy

Default remove anno

i want to remove the anno from my gun, i searched for some info in the forum, i found something about oven cleaner and lye. not sure what they are (well yeah, oven cleaner obviously cleans ovens) or where to pick them up. could i get them at menards or walmart?

lye sounds like some pretty dangeorous stuff. i tried paint thinner, im not getting to far with that...

any suggestions, oh, i would rather not send it away for someone else to do it either.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Has Been

Default Re: remove anno

you could get some sandpaper, and elbow grease......
that is a sketchy way to do it though, but it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Its the evil YouTube guy

yeah, but that would take a looooooooooooong time.

i have a rodeo, the contours on that gun would make sandpaper really hard to work with.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

dremel and wire brush attachment.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 PM
New Guy

Well if you do use that lye mix definetaly use gloves a face mask and well you pretty much dont want it to get anywhere on you cause its highly corrosive. also i wouldnt recomend it since most markers are made from aluminum and aluminum and lye dont mix.. check out the danger list on wikipedia.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:37 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Use Easy Off. I used the regular strength kind - in the yellow can. I used it to take the anno off my VA for my Spyder Pump. You have to take it slowly, though. Spray it on, wait several minutes (about 10) then wash it off, then repeat. It took about 5 times for me to get it pretty close to where I wanted it. No pitting or anything.

That being said, you WILL have to polish it a lot. It will tarnish pretty quickly.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 AM
juggalo

i would use the lye (drano- liquid or crystals), but you must observe certain precautions.
dont use a metal bucket. youd think that would be obvious, but...
dont do it inside.
add lye to water, not the other way around. make it relatively dilute.
lye is sodium hydroxide, a very powerful oxidizer and extremely caustic. therefore, it likes to eat things, in your case the soft fleshy fingers. wear thick rubber gloves, eye protection, and other PPE as necessary.
remove all parts from the body- or the lye will.
the marker will only be in there about 30 seconds at a time.
keep a bucket of fresh water nearby for rinsing.
this will of course, strip the anno off the inside as well, leading to galling, premature wear, rapid oxidation (in aluminums case, the white scale stuff), and the loss of material (a couple of 10 thousandths). just so you know.

on the upside, when youre done stripping the parts, the remainder makes a lovely flea dip for cats or politicians.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:41 AM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

Arrow Re: remove anno

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramernator View Post
.........lye sounds like some pretty dangeorous stuff. i tried paint thinner, im not getting to far with that...
You're correct, I would not suggest using any dangerous chemicals. Lye is some wicked stuff. it's really not worth the possible hazards. I don't even suggest oven cleaner because if it gets inside the marker body, it can widen the already variable tolerences Spyder's have -

I have a bit of experience with anodizers and they can strip the ano for little cash if you just call around and ask. Depending on the anodizer, they may not charge you at all since they can just throw it in with another larger batch already being done. Better to send it out than deal with burnt skin, clothes and anything else the dangerous chemicals come in contact with. Using a local professional will also nil the possibilities of wrecking your subject matter here -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 05-26-2008, 03:14 PM

whats anno?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

the outer coat of paint on your gun.

i thought of this a few days ago at work: would oven cleaner work? i mean its basically sulfuric acid (it burns your skin too, trust me, i have the scars...) so if you soak the anno (don't submerge it) for a few seconds, wipe it down, and then use sand paper, shouldnt that do the trick?
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes