Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Shop Talk > Air Systems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Default 5lb CO2 tank questions

I've been looking around for a scenario CO2 tank for my Mags that's bigger than a 20oz and came accross 2.5 and 5 lb tanks for beermeisters/aquariums HERE. My Mags run better on CO2 than HPA but when I'm doing a scenario I run out too quickly to make the event enjoyable. Anyone having been to Skirmish knows exactly what I mean. Walking 1/2 a mile to refuel half-a-dozen times a day is such a ball-buster...and using a remote-fed 5 pounder will keep me in the game longer. I don't care about the weight...I'm a strapping lad.

My questions are:
1. Does anyone know the internal ci equivelant to the 5lbs of CO2? I know it's basicly an 80oz tank and being 4x's the size (volume) of a 20oz, this should get about 1800~ish shots per fill...but I'm just curious if anyone knew.
2. Are the CGA-320 valve tank threads on the big tank compatible with the paintball cylinder pin valve threads? In other words, can I unscrew the CGA valve and simply replace it with a pin-valve or will i have to create some kind of funky adapter to work between the thermo valve and the remote...and then how would I meter the output psi to the ~850 a pin valve operates at (without adding an in-line HP reg)?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

Default Re: 5lb CO2 tank questions

wait, you said an 80oz would get about 1800 shots? my 20 oz gets about 1000 shots. is your mag that big of a gas hog??

i've been thinking about picking up a 24 oz for woodsball because my 20 oz is out of hydro and its only $2 more.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 04-22-2008, 11:27 AM
don't let your meat loaf

Did you try to shoot them an e-mail? They would probably be able to tell you if they could put a lower 800ish reg on it from the factory that would be PB thread acceptable. They also may even be able to put a anti-siphon tube in it. I thought that co2 was at 800ish psi when a gas? On the regular tanks that we all have the pin valves are just basically and on/off, right? Maybe the 1800 psi tank is just they rating? I also saw this on another of their pages... 2.5 tank:
Quote:
Originally Posted by co2-canisters.com
Aluminum Cylinders are new and certified with recent date stamp for CO2 use in aquarums, beverage dispensing and painball.
But the 5lb tank said this
Quote:
Originally Posted by co2-canisters.com
Remember with any tank you will need some type of regulator to regulate the flow of the co2 gas out 5 lb tank even though it does have an off on valve as pictured.

PBNTrust
Old 04-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper View Post
1. wait, you said an 80oz would get about 1800 shots? my 20 oz gets about 1000 shots. is your mag that big of a gas hog??
Yes it is...lol. with a full 20 oz tank, I get roughly 450-550 shots per fill with my Mag. In the tank's defense though, it's not antisiphoned because I use it on remote. As a comparison, I've got a 3.5 oz that with my 68 Magnum, gets about 100-150 good shots. it would take 6 of these tanks to get 21 oz of CO2 and 6x100=600 shots and that's having the extra oz of CO2 so...that's about par for the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano 177 View Post
Did you try to shoot them an e-mail? They would probably be able to tell you if they could put a lower 800ish reg on it from the factory that would be PB thread acceptable. They also may even be able to put a anti-siphon tube in it. I thought that co2 was at 800ish psi when a gas? On the regular tanks that we all have the pin valves are just basically and on/off, right? Maybe the 1800 psi tank is just they rating? I also saw this on another of their pages... 2.5 tank: But the 5lb tank said this
I was just wondering if the threads were compatible...and yes, the 1800 number is the psi rating for burst. The thermo valve that it comes with needs to be regulated and that's why they add their commentary about it - because the thermal valve will vent that 5 lb tank in like 30 seconds...lol.

Our pin valves used on our tanks are rated at ~800-900 psi flow and if I'm not mistaken, the valves themselves are rated to 3000 psi. The burst disc on the other hand is rated to 1.5K or 3k (depending on what is installed) so as long as I install a 1.5k disc I'd be fine.