FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Witch Won?
Option 1: 13 76.47%
Option B: 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2008, 01:05 PM
THE GAME

Default Re: College - going: Q - what w/ paintball

You have to be incredibly good to win any respectable semi tournament with a pump. I am planning on making a pump league, and the way I look at it, my protege may NEVER get used after this summer. I'm looking for a way to stay fit in college, and nothing else really appeals to me, at least with a pump I can play often. With a spare I'd be able to loan it and get people interested in playing my league.

And what hoppy said. Stop arguing about pump vs. semi. Chris is right too, Semi is far more advantageous in a tournament, and it's proven itself by the ratio of semi to pump players (like 30k+ to 1 I'd guess). With pump you have very little brute forcing ability, and it's difficult to overcome another player's dominance of a lane, since most of the time you need at least a 10 ball string to make him nervous enough to pop back in.

I'm still leaning towards B/2. I'm getting the vibe that you guys only voted A/1 because you don't like pumps. I'd much rather have a pump in use than a semi sitting around, loosing value. I honestly think I should sell NOW and get my max value for this thing. Not to mention, phantoms hold value much better than semis do, so sitting on it for 4 years might only result in a drop of like 50 bucks in resale whereas a protege would be nearly worthless then.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

I voted for 1, but not because I hate pump - quite the opposite! I love playing with my Phantom. My reason was that if you get rid of your semi, you are going to want another sooner than you think, which of course will result in you spending money you don't have (in college, that is.)

Keeping it, since it's already paid for, is good so that when you actually get a chance to use it, it'll be there. If it were that important to me to save money, I'd go for a modified version of B2 - only having ONE pump, a mask and the other gear needed to play pump. Not two pumps - let the other guy rent if they need a gun!
Old 04-17-2008, 02:03 PM
THE GAME

No. You don't get it. I will have ZERO money to play with a semi. We're talking bimonthly at best. It will not get used unless somebody pays me to use it. I have to sell my loader and use a ghetto taped one my friend has just to consider playing over the summer. Like .1% of my income is going towards paintball right now. I will be too poor to ever afford paint and I do not want to just limit how much I play. I REFUSE to get fat in college, and there is nearly no chance you'll see me wasting my time in a gym. I need to play paintball.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:07 PM
THE GAME

Nobody I know right now will rent. They are just as poor as I am, saving up for college like me, and the ONLY way I can get people to even try out playing is if I loan them gear. I know at least 5 people who would play if I had a backup, it really does matter.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Resident *******

I have to agree with you on the Protege. It will not get you anything just sitting around. Sell it while it's value's still so high, and if you want one later on... keep most of the money in savings just for that purpose (most, not all... they're still really extremely good on resale... just wait until Cup hits, that'll be the test!).

I think that if you work at it, you can do really well with a pump. Look at Ted (Ace24). His pump team's been top 5 of the circuit they're in against semi's. That might be because they are very experienced vs the semi's who are nubes, but still, they are proving that you can win. If you're determined enough, it should be fine enough that you shouldn't feel the urge for speed. I know when I'm pumping, I get in the groove, the "zone," whatever the hell you want to call it, and I'm just all around playing better. You, I think, can do the same if you put your mind to it. You're a perfectionist, and normally don't snap as easily as you're purporting. Gain some confidence in yourself, dude!

That's just me, and I'm going with option B because I think that you should cash out the Protege while it's still worth $500. And like Vike said... ya only need one pump.

EDIT: read your post after I put mine up. If they can't afford one, but an extremely cheap one, then. The step above Blades, like a Hammer or something. $75 at most.

As far as exercise, don't be unreasonable. You can run around your dorm building until you pass out for FREE. You don't NEED to play paintball to keep slim.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 04-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Spyder Addict

option A u're keeping a pump regardless. I have nothing against pump, If u cant afford to paintball, u wont be playing as much as u said as u said u were in option B.

which is why I chose A. U'll have ur semi for whenever u get the urge to play that style, and ur pump for the times u play pump

Feedback

The cocker

my babies
Old 04-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Banned

If you keep saying you wont use your semi, then just get pumps. Its like youre trying to presuade us to pick an option you've apparently already figured out.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:32 PM
THE GAME

If I sell a 500 dollar gun and a 120 dollar tank a 50 dollar harness and buy a 240 dollar gun and no tank I'm not just going to wipe my ass with the difference, I'll use it to play.

500- protege
120 - Tank
90- hopper
50 - harness
80 - misc softgear
60 - stiffi barrel
= 900

240 - phantom
100 - season pass
200 - spare phantom
30 - Stock harness
150 - Misc Gear
= 750

900 - 750 = 150
5 - enough paint for a day
3 - lowered field fee
2 - enough air for a day
= 10 to play a day
120/10 = 15 times

By the time I play 15 times I should start having money set aside. It's a lot easier to accumulate 10 bucks than it is 60. So by my estimates I can play as much as 3 times a week, adding a dollar a day to my pot of money and play 5 weeks before having to slow down and let my money catch up. It's likely that I wouldn't have much time for 3 times meaning I could extend it to nearly 12 weeks. I'll be honest, I really overestimated the amount of times I'd play in my first post, but the difference between the two is a correct ratio IMO. I'd probably only peak at 4 times a week or do that over the summer off of lawn money (which I don't put towards college, but I don't have access to in school).

EDIT: and pumper I'm not trying to persuade people to vote B, it just seems like I didn't explain why B is even an option well enough and people are just assuming it's a dumb idea. It's just a devils advocate thing.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:45 AM

If you are serious enough about bringing people into pump then another gun would be more helpful. Also it never hurts to have your own back up gun when you are not out with your friends. On another note if you don't want to get fat in college just be smart. Drink in moderation (or not), at least exercise and don't just pig out. Where I am at I get to paintball once every 2 months, we tried in the winter but it was bad. (We just get guys together who have gear and play on a friends 5 acres, saves on field fee). Welcome to a new life.

Last edited by alam3503 : 04-22-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-22-2008, 06:14 PM
My money is going into my car. What's paintball?

I say the second one just because I am more into pump now than anything else.

Like to the point where I don't care about all the new semi's.

Yeah, you get rolled over by guys with PSP, but you get better... I've taken out some of the top contenders at my field and you gain A LOT of respect.

My .02 cents.

Quote:
armedfuture (3:14:56 AM): they get upset easy when you use big words like "rental" and "air"