Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Life is peachy

Default Re: Car Problemo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlandsrox View Post
Hokay, so i got a Jeep YJ, i think around early 90's late 80's model, and when i go to start it, sometimes it doesnt get power to the igntion, but if let go of the key and let it return to running position, it works, any idea on what may be wrong with it?

Also, after a long drive, it starts to lose power, and wont maintian highway speeds, any idea whats wrong here?
I would sugest changing your ignition and changing your fuel filters that is probably why you start to experiance trouble after driving for a wial change the fuel filter and im sure that wont happen anymore. If your having delay problems with your ignition just change it.

Armored Units

-Deep insertion APC
-Killer "B" Battle Tank
-Troop Transport APC (almost done)
-Gun Truck heavy support unit (In the works)

-Order of Lenin (1st)
-Skyline Sergeant
-YGP Rep!
-Sector 4 team feild honor recipiant (UCSF)
Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSiv Force View Post
Actually yes it does have injectors...if you do not believe me then you may look it up.....Even My 1968 Chevelle has injectors

From my resources.....
"Fuel injection debuted in 1957, landing the Corvette's enlarged 283 cubic inch small-block into the newly created "one-horsepower-per-cubic-inch" club."
Yeah I actually found a list of service bullitens for the older 'vettes. Definitely interesting to know. I always figured FI started in the late 70s. Definitely cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X
Old 04-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Life is peachy

A Quick way to tell if it is the ballist resistor is to take the wires off and touch them together if it acts fine then that is what your problem is I did this with my Landcruiser. However dont leave it that way long it could burn yopur coil out. The resistor is like 3$ the coil is like 60$ for the 3$ it is deffinatly worth checking the resistor before replacing the ignition. I didnt see that post sorry Jimmy. Probably what the problem is. But i would still think the the problem with lose of power when driving ect is fuel filters there fine till you use it then the fuel thins a little and everything goes to hell. Happens lots to me in the heavy equiptment I run.

Armored Units

-Deep insertion APC
-Killer "B" Battle Tank

-Order of Lenin (1st)
-Skyline Sergeant
-YGP Rep!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Spyder Addict

Well first thing im going to say is thanks for all the help people, i never would have expected such a response to my plea for help. First off, what i meant by before fuel injectors, i meant as in FI's becoming pretty much standard equiptment, as they are now adays. And yes, it is carbeurated, jeeps didnt come standard FI'd until like 89 or 90, and its an 87. I pretty much tore the engine apart today, degreasing it as i go along, some connections are loose, others are dissconnected and capped with screws, replaced these back onto original spots, mostly because i had nothing better to do, and because well they werent helping much how they were. Took the filter off... thats pretty much shot, gas was coming out orange, with a bunch of sediment as well, so i got a new filter, going to get a new PCV valve just to make sure its not that, sure its not, but its only a 10$ part so w/e. replaced the battery terminal connection, theres random hoses, and weird looking things that look like they should be connected to stuff, but i cant find what, so im just going to leave those for now. i replaced most of the fluids, found out the wiper blade motors dont work (or at least the switch doesnt work), i am in the process of replacing the various lights everywhere (daytime running, headlights, fog lights, brake lights etc). and a basic tuneup just as sort of a diagnostic.

Ok heres my next round of questions:
-Whats this ballast resistor, and what effect would it have on not supplying ignition power intermittently?
-About the wiper blades, whats a good way to diagnose the issues with that?
-Anybody know of somewhere that i can buy either OEM, or custom guages (tach, spedometer, charge guage (its currently not working, so definite replace either guage or sensor)

Thanks again for all your guyses help so far, and thanks in advance for further help!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Life is peachy

ok Question one
Im not positive on what the ballist resistor does I would think it cuts back some of the power. I however am more then aware of the problems it can cause. sometimes it wont let the vehical start, sometimes it will let it start. Sometimes it will start but run real rough. But for me most of the time was it wouldnt let it start. YOu can tell if that is the problem buy: When the vehical wont start, there are 2 wires that go to the resistor top and bottom. take them both off and touch them together if it fires right up thats what the problem is. This is usefull if it goes out on you and you need to get your vehical home just wrap the wires together. However if you leave it that way to long it will burn your coil out. The resistor is only like 3$ so its an easy iteam to replace.
Question two- With my landcruiser gain i had the same problem all I had to do is make sure you have power through your switch if you have power through the switch two the wiper blade motor and it still wont turn give it a little love tap you would be suprised how sitting for a wial will cause just enough crosion to keep parts from moving. If that dont work just pull the motor off and take it apart and clean it. I can pretty well quarentee there is just a buildup in there.

Im sorry I dont know about your last question.

Armored Units

-Deep insertion APC
-Killer "B" Battle Tank

-Order of Lenin (1st)
-Skyline Sergeant
-YGP Rep!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:52 PM
What is The Dew, and How Do I Do it

Summit Racing
Jegs motor sports
Proudly Surrendering people at 25 yrds
Old 04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

xsiv beat me to it, but still:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...4294925008+115
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 04-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Spyder Addict

Sorry to sound so clueless about cars (Im really not! this thing is just that much of a doozie to fix! lol) but i've been looking the net all over to get an idea of the price and where to buy one of them ballast resistors or whatever, and cant find anything, any other names of them?

edit: Also, i did some searching around, and the crankshaft position sensor is n/a, because it has no fuel injection.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
What is The Dew, and How Do I Do it

I........I won.......I WON!!!!!!!!!
Ok im through....Jegs is really good ive got a sponorship from them on my racing team
Proudly Surrendering people at 25 yrds
Old 04-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Spyder Addict

Well we replaced a bunch of stuff in it, so hopefully that will have fixed it, only time will tell though, so hopefully the problems dont show their faces again. I replaced the fuel and air filters, just cause they were easy and should be replaced anyways, replaced the PCV valve, changed the oil and coolant, fixed loose wires, replaced battery terminal connections, replaced frayed wires, random little repairs, lubed everything up, and a bunch of other things that escape my mind at the moment, but they werent too important anyways. I looked for the ballast resistor that vwjimmy suggested may be suspect, but apparently it does not have one, and i also did other little jobs like a super clean of inside the dash, and all that, just to keep it looking nice. One thing forsure though, is that it does definatly sound better with all the work put into it now!