Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Spyder Addict

Default Re: Car Problemo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlechaser View Post
So it will crank EVERY time? That will rule out both fuses and the ignition switch.

When it starts (if it does) how does it run? If it runs like a bag of ****, it could be something to do with either the distributor, coil, plugs or wires. To find the problem I'd replace things in this order, wires, plugs, coil, dizzy.

If it's been sitting for a while (few years) have you put any new fuel in it? (The octane rating will go down if it sits for a while, drop some premium and maybe an octane booster in it to neutralize it a bit).
its not quite that its been sitting and it worked before, the reason we put it away were those problems, but i have some time on my hands, so i figured why not get it running, possibly just for some trail riding, but most likely i will use it as a summer car. Also, when we started it up now, it was running, not spectacularly, aside from the stale gas and everything though, it was running good. Yeah, wires will prob be the first thing to go, plugs cant be to bad, i will check them out though, make sure theres no fouled plugs, or uneven burn or anythign like that going on in there, the coil is new since right before we stored it, and what exactly is the dizzy? It does run fine when it runs, aside from the losing power after 45 minutes(ish). It will crank every time, again, its eerily similar to a problem with power to the ignition system, perhaps a short maybe, which would case the odd stall that happens.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:44 PM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

My guess(s): ignition, ignition module, coil or distributor -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 04-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Spyder Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
lol... having an alternator die mid drive and the battery dieing isn't fun... <- experienced.

Buy some fuel injector cleaner for one...
this predates injectors by about a year lol, so unfortunatly (in that it would be an easy fix) its not that.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:00 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlandsrox View Post
Hokay, so i got a Jeep YJ, i think around early 90's late 80's model, and when i go to start it, sometimes it doesnt get power to the igntion, but if let go of the key and let it return to running position, it works, any idea on what may be wrong with it?
I talked to a mechanic a few years ago and he said that they were notorious for electrical problems. If I had to guess, based on your description of this problem, I would say it's probably what these guys have already said. Wiring or just a bad ignition switch, coil or distributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlandsrox
Also, after a long drive, it starts to lose power, and wont maintian highway speeds, any idea whats wrong here?
Strange problem. I can think of two possible reasons for this.

1. You're fuel isn't keeping up with the demand your motor is asking for. Could be a carb problem here, or maybe your fuel pump. What happens is that at the start when you aren't taxing the engine that much, you have plenty of fuel to keep going and it's easier for the pump to keep up, or the reserve to keep getting full. As you speed up, you empty the fuel reserve faster, which doesn't get replaced as fast and the more you stomp on the accelerator to gain back the speed you're losing, the more you keep that reserve empty.

2. I don't think it's your alternator/generator - a symptom of that is when you drive the car for awhile, your battery doesn't have enough juice left in it to even crank the starter motor. But, just in case, take it AutoZone (or whatever you have in Canada) to find out.

Of course, you could just take it to a mechanic and for about 30 bucks, they can hook it up to their diagnostic machine and tell you EVERYTHING that's wrong with it.

Wow, I haven't had to talk about these kinds of problems in several years! The good ol' days of carbs and generators....

Edit: Come to think of it, may be a clogged catylitic converter also, or the sensors. Does it have O2 sensors? I can't remember when those came out...

Edit #2: Upon more thinking, I'm still going to go with fuel pump or fuel delivery problems, right up to the carb.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:11 AM
What is The Dew, and How Do I Do it

What do you mean that it predates Fuel injectors? My 1962 Corvette has the original injectors on it
Proudly Surrendering people at 25 yrds
Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 AM
SlalomSki stuk to my feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSiv Force View Post
What do you mean that it predates Fuel injectors? My 1962 Corvette has the original injectors on it
He means that he has an in line 6 (I'm guessing) and it is carborated. Therefore no fuel injectors. Speaking of that.. how does your carb look?

Edit: Or it may be throttle bodied.. I can't remember exactly.
bamfhacker: next time wear butt pads
Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 AM
wat

I can't see an early 90's/late 80's Jeep YJ having a carburetor. My guess is like vike said : maybe a fuel pump issue, or at least some issue with the motor getting fuel. Also, like Drago said..could be a distributor or ignition issue. I can't remember what year OBDII became standard, I'm sure Jim could tell you. But if you have a diagnostic port, you can take it to Auto Zone and they may be able to scan it and see if it is throwing any codes. The Check Engine light doesn't always have to be on for a problem to be present.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Here, there, everywhere!

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.....
Go get a 'Ballast Resistor' and replace the one you have. It is mounted on the firewall on the drivers side.
Fixed
Member #12

"Your marker cannot harm me...I'm the Juggernaut!!"
KUSA Feedback +56/-0
New PBN Feedback +20/-0
Old PBN Feedback +92/-0
Old 04-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSiv Force View Post
Your '62 Vette (if it has the original engine) doesn't have injectors, it has a funky little gadget the older guys around here will recognise as a carburetor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy11 View Post
Or it may be throttle bodied.. I can't remember exactly.
I really doubt there was TBI back then, seemed to be more of a 70s/80s thing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrell View Post
I can't see an early 90's/late 80's Jeep YJ having a carburetor. My guess is like vike said : maybe a fuel pump issue, or at least some issue with the motor getting fuel. Also, like Drago said..could be a distributor or ignition issue. I can't remember what year OBDII became standard, I'm sure Jim could tell you. But if you have a diagnostic port, you can take it to Auto Zone and they may be able to scan it and see if it is throwing any codes. The Check Engine light doesn't always have to be on for a problem to be present.
OBDII was mid 90s. OBDI was late-80s early 90s, and the ever wonderful OBD0 would be everything before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X
Old 04-14-2008, 02:55 PM
What is The Dew, and How Do I Do it

Actually yes it does have injectors...if you do not believe me then you may look it up.....Even My 1968 Chevelle has injectors

From my resources.....
"Fuel injection debuted in 1957, landing the Corvette's enlarged 283 cubic inch small-block into the newly created "one-horsepower-per-cubic-inch" club."
Proudly Surrendering people at 25 yrds