Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Discontinued Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2008, 12:08 AM

Default n00b Questions

Howdy gents!

I am new to the whole paintball thing, and have a few questions. (Imagine that! )

First off, I should say, I am not using my MR2 for the usual paintball stuff, I am using for force-on-force self-defense training scenarios, so my supreme criteria is dependability. I am used to an AR-15 or Arsenal AK-47 or CETME, so I am a bit spoiled by going thousands upon thousands of rounds without a hiccup. Needless to say, using a marker has been a bit of an eye-opening experience.

I have had the ususal raft of issues with the MR2. Lotsa chops, not recocking etc. So, I logged on here and have read about 25 pages in this board. I've even learned some of the vernacular! I have a set of Timmy detents on order. I have had the ACS compressed with zipties for about 4 days now. Tomorrow when I get to work, I'm gonna dump an entire 48 ci tank of HPA through the thing with a rag in the chamber as well (costs one whole dollar to refill, so what the heck right?). I am runing an 18 volt Fasta hopper on it. I have run Spyder orange balls through the thing, as well as "All Stars", got lotsa breaks with both. Seems to chop both in the chamber and up the feedneck. I am using a rather inexpensive (cheap?) replacement neck, as the one that came with the marker split up the side when I first put the hopper on.

If between the Timmy detents and the bolt work, its still chopping, these are my thoughts:
  1. Alamo Delrin (not "Low Blow") bolt with 2 O-Rings.
  2. Viewloader XSV VLocity Select Force or Qloader

WHat are your thoughts on these "Fixes"? Am I on the right track, or am I just dumping money that won't solve the problem.

Also, what are your thoughts on this feedneck? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SPYDER-TRINI...QQcmdZViewItem
Are these things any good, or just a gimmick?

Thanks for your help, and patience with a n00b!

...And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten...
Old 03-21-2008, 03:29 AM
Spyder... The AK47 of the paintball world.

Default Re: n00b Questions

Sounds like you are on track. The detents and breaking in the acs bolt seem the most likely fixes. Your 18 v fasta should keep up, so I don't think it is a feed issue. Check to make sure the acs bolt works smoothly. I really feel it is the detent. The MR2 shoots around 15bps in full auto so your hopper should easily keep up, the acs shouldn't be a factor.

*could also be a paint issue. Might try a thick shelled paint. Nelson hotspot is very thick shelled and cheep. Try dropping your paint from waist high. It shouldn't break.

Last edited by Lonus : 03-21-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Not too new guy

You are on the perfect track. If your first upgrades don't solve some of your problems the Vlocity and the Alamo City bolt should. The Fasta isn't force fed so the blowback of the gun might be causing it to have some feeding problems. The Vlocity would solve that because it is a force fed and the Alamo City bolt will eliminate some of that blowback as well. Good luck!

<<XX PILOT OWNERS CLUB # 36 XX>>

The Official Manual Thread

Spyder Feedback
PBN Feedback
Old 03-21-2008, 04:08 PM

Okay, back with more questions...

I seem to not find any clear thoughs on the "Direct Feed Adapter" for the QLoader here.

Anyone have any issues with it on their MR2?

Old 03-21-2008, 11:14 PM

*Applause* ditto what the others said - its not everyday you find folks who actually care to trawl thru the treasure trove of information that's already here before posting their questions.

Can't comment on Qloader coz I don't have one. The only single complaint I heard about the trinity feedneck is from jbtoronto, he took a major spill and the feedneck broke. He's moved on to a tippy since then.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Resident *******

I wouldn't go the Q-loader route, personally. I had one once (jeez, how long ago was that? 2 years now, or was it 3?) and it was the most finicky POS I'd ever dealt with as far as hoppers go. The Fasta should be feeding fast enough, as it is the 18V model. The VLocity's a great hopper, I love mine, but a VLocity JR with a speedfeed and Gangstar chip should run ya about $100, and deliver the same performance.

I'd bet it's the ****ty paint that you're running through it... Allstars used to be good paint, but their quality has stooped over the years. The Spyder paint... not even going there. Try out some Draxxus Bronze, Marbalizers, or some other medium grade paint; that should work better than that crap.

Trinity has good quality, so all of their products should be good. I don't know what kind of person it would take to make a metal feedneck break, but to refrain from insulting the aforementioned person too much, Darth said it... the kind of person that needs a Tippmann.

Thanks for reading the posts here, as also said before, that's really becoming rare! I also have a resource thread link in my signature you might want to look over. It's just general information, but if you have some spare time and want to look up something, it's a good thing to skim over.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 03-22-2008, 10:15 AM
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeRain View Post
Okay, back with more questions...

I seem to not find any clear thoughs on the "Direct Feed Adapter" for the QLoader here.

Anyone have any issues with it on their MR2?
I've got it on mine, no problems, exept for the fact that either the product is a piece of crap, or rap4 keeps sending me crappy ones.

The problem im having with it is when i clamp it to my feedneck and tighten it, it strips the screw! It's so annoying, but its not that bad this time, doesnt really move unless you're doing a speedball dive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed76 View Post
it was the most finicky POS I'd ever dealt with as far as hoppers go.
I have to agree, but I still like the idea of a pod as a hopper. The thing that annoys me is if you have it running with the hoses and crap, towards the end of the pod the paint doesnt go up the hose, it just sits in the pod or at the bottom of the hose.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:51 AM

Allright guys, thanks so much for the help.

I'm off to my local shop to pick up some Draxxus and some Marbelizer, as I know they have those. Might also try some Evil, as one of the guys there keeps telling me its "The Stuff", we'll see.

The Q-Loader sure seems to be a "Love it or Hate it" proposition. I find the concept very interesting, and the principle seems to be sound, but :
  1. I've already got way more into this project than I ever expected to so I need whatever I get next to solve the problem, if the bolt, detents and ball changes don't do it and
  2. I've got approximately 3 weeks to get this solved or I don't get the "Survive" option at the next training session, I get the "Lay down and Die" option, and I'm not real fond of that.

As to actually reading the forum, well, lets just say that I'm prolly one of the oldest folks here, (I remember watching Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble trying to get their markers working) so I've been on your end of things a time or two answering the unending stream of n00b Q's from people who haven't RTFM or hit the search button. I feel ya!

Thanks again, I'll let ya know how it goes...

Last edited by PipeRain : 03-23-2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: 'Cos I goofed up the formatting...
Old 03-23-2008, 02:39 PM

Okay, got back from the paintball shop, and picked up the following with the following results. All these were done with the stock MR2 barrel, the Spyder paint was a leftover bag I had :
  • Draxxus Blaze. Dropped it in the barrel, freefalls all the way to the "Muzzle Brake". Once there, it easily blows through with a puff of air.
  • Marbellizer. Exactly the same as the Draxxus Blaze.
  • Spyder. Freefalls all the way down the barrel and out the end.
  • White-Box. Drops about 1.5 inches in to the bore, blows easily out the barrel.

So, unless I am missing my guess, any of these should work okay, except the Spyder. Since the Spyder is so loose in the bore, its gonna just bust left and right I am guessing. Oddly enough, won't the white-box work the best, since its fitting the bore the best?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Not so New Guy

i had a q-loader on my mr-2 when I still had it and it worked like a dream. If you do get a q-loader buy it strait from the q-loader webise ( www.qloader.com ) because you'll get the latest edition of it, isn't as finicky and not much maintenance, not to mention the lifetime warrenty