Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Shop Talk > Air Systems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2008, 07:18 AM

Default using a regulator with HPA; whats the point ?

Here is the deal :

I have a MR2 running (attempting) on HPA. Its Pure Energy 68/4500 tank. Running a remote line from that to my marker. Marker has nothing fancy inside except a two-ring deltin bolt from Alamo City.

I thought having HPA would make my shots consistent but I was wrong. I still notice spikes 271- 312 !!!!

I posted on the MR2 threads and I was told the only thing I could do was add a regulator and High-Flow valve. I know from reading that there is a lot more to that than just addding those two components.

I then notice that some people are using regulators to stablize the problems.

Palmer stabilizers seem to do the trick.

BUT here is my question; these HPa tanks are set to output around 800psi right ? so why is there still spikes and How is adding a regulator that is also going to be set to 800psi going to help ?

What are the mechanics on work there ?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:15 AM
SlalomSki stuk to my feet

Default Re: using a regulator with HPA; whats the point ?

Yes there is regulator on all HPA tanks to regulate the output. Although when you are shooting through your gun the consistancy is lost through multiple different parts in your gun. The regulator on your gun, you mentioned the palmers, will regulate the flow of air directly into the valve portion of your gun with will give you much greater consistancy. If you go with a higher flowing valve than your stock one you will be able to lower the air pressure on your regulator that is on the gun and you will get better consistancy still and you should see a slight increase of shots per tank.

Now I am not sure what valve are availiable for the MR2's but since you mentioned the Palmers reg, here are a few other ones that may be alittle nicer on your wallet and still do a great job. Bob Long Torpedo is a good reg, CP Regulators are also quite good and much easier on the wallet than a Palmers. MacDev makes great regulators too, but those are alittle more exspensive but they are my favorite and I think they are worth the cost.

Hope this helps.

Also, running a remote line is probably also messing with your consistancy right now. Try just putting the tank in the asa Im not sure if it will help, but it may.
bamfhacker: next time wear butt pads
Old 03-12-2008, 08:21 AM

Well I am a woodsballer and so carrying the tank on my back (I want to for the "cool" look) is a must for me.

And I dont want to mess with the valve because it brings with it a whole mess of other adjustments and purchases I dont want to do.

I wanted to add the regulator to the remote line. Palmer has this set up on their site
http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/cart/i...d ucts_id=174

I like this setup because then I can use this with my other markers as well.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 AM
SlalomSki stuk to my feet

Ok, I was thinking that is what you may have wanted to do, but I wasn't sure. And it should make a world of difference if you use that.

Getting a new valve isn't too much work, really just adjusting your reg accordingly which isn't hard at all. If you do decide to go that route and are having trouble there are multiple people here who have the knowledge to help you and would be more than willing to do it.

I think if you do go that route you may get sucked into the never ending pit of wanting to upgrade your gun, and then wanting a new gun just to upgrade it.
bamfhacker: next time wear butt pads
Old 03-12-2008, 08:37 AM

ok. cool.

BUT would be able to answer my techincal question :
what is it the second Plamer regulator is doing that the one in the bottle cant ?I mean both are being set for 800 psi right ?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Resident *******

Damnit, I just typed a long post and just lost it. Basically, that regulator is going to be the secondary regulator (HPR, Reg, take yer pick), and will take the 800-850psi output from the tank and convert it down to the 400-600psi your gun actually needs.

A new valve would NOT help consistency as much as a regulator and an extremely good lube job will do. Heck, I'd do the tank too when it's ENTIRELY (and COMPLETELY!!! Make sure with your remote line before you fiddle with it!) empty. Here's the manual for your tank reg: http://www.paintballsolutions.com/05..._regulator.pdf

Remote line kit from Palmers:
http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/cart/i...d ucts_id=181

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 AM

hi bigred....I hav read that MR2 run on 800psi. The second regulator reducing it down to 600psi would be counter productive would'nt it ?
the main problem I am having is velocity spikes
Old 03-12-2008, 09:30 AM

and keep in mind I am NOt trying to go LPA . I want to stay at HPA
Old 03-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

no, because by using less air going into the gun, you wont have to worry about your tank's recharge rate as much, so it'll cut down on velocity fluctuations.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 03-12-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper View Post
no, because by using less air going into the gun, you wont have to worry about your tank's recharge rate as much, so it'll cut down on velocity fluctuations.
true, but doesnt less air going there mean lower velocity unless I put in a higher flow valve etc.

I am not trying to cross question here guys so please dont take offence to my questions. I am just trying to understand and sort out all the information I have been reading.