Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Shop Talk > Air Systems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 PM
don't let your meat loaf

Default Old Co2 Tanks

My friend busted out the old tippmann prolite and was gonna try to play with us. Busted out is the correct terminoigly, because that thing was a wreck. The guy at the pb shop wanted $45 bucks for a rebuild kit. WTF? That much for a few o-rings and a linkage arm? Off to lowes I went. Made the linkage arm from a welding rod and got some wacky size rings for the striker. Fixed the safty, put an new ring on the front bolt and cleaned the barrel(I didn't know aluminum could rust ). I just about got this thing working right but he has some really old tanks. From, like, '93. They both still had air in them but I used it up when I was messing with his marker. What do you guys do with your old tanks? Sell them for scrap? It isn't worth getting them hydro tested-- you can buy new tanks for cheaper, even at walmart. So what do you do with them?

PBNTrust
Old 02-24-2008, 06:44 AM
WILL WORK FOR PAINT!

Default Re: Old Co2 Tanks

What size are they? Some of the smaller tanks and ome of the steel tanks never need rehydro.

Spyder Victor with a modded CORE derlin bolt, polished striker and polished valve assembly

BEING POOR SUCKS
Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 AM
don't let your meat loaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_McCormic View Post
What size are they? Some of the smaller tanks and ome of the steel tanks never need rehydro.
I think They both need hydro. One is a 20oz and the other is a 9oz.

PBNTrust
Old 02-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

deano...find the hydro link ("Hydrotesters by state") I posted and open it. Within that link you should find the "Rules" governing tanks. Certain tanks have finite lifespans and I believe 7oz and 9oz fall into the "2 inch rule". The 20oz would definitely need hydro...and that costs as much as a new tank.

If they are the really old "Thermo-valve" types, they hold some historical value (but not much), especially if they still work. Most were steel and 2" diameter and the Thermo-valve on/off looks like a garden hose spout on the side of your house. Most still work because of that valve but those tanks are more curios anymore...

I think for safety's sake and peace of mind, you'd be better off just getting new tanks.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:33 PM
don't let your meat loaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
deano...find the hydro link ("Hydrotesters by state") I posted and open it. Within that link you should find the "Rules" governing tanks. Certain tanks have finite lifespans and I believe 7oz and 9oz fall into the "2 inch rule". The 20oz would definitely need hydro...and that costs as much as a new tank.
The guy at the pb shop looked at them. I won't pretend to know anything about them. I just know my hpa tanks are hydro test current and I know when they expire. If he doesn't want to fill them, who am I to tell him otherwise?

Quote:
If they are the really old "Thermo-valve" types, they hold some historical value (but not much), especially if they still work. Most were steel and 2" diameter and the Thermo-valve on/off looks like a garden hose spout on the side of your house. Most still work because of that valve but those tanks are more curios anymore...
Here is a pic. They don't look like anything special to me. You can see the 20oz has a 7 @ 93 and I'm not sure about the 9oz.

Quote:
I think for safety's sake and peace of mind, you'd be better off just getting new tanks.
I hear ya. Not my stuff though. I got 2 brand new tanks... I told him he could use mine. That would save him some money and that is what he is all about trying to get this thing playable...

PBNTrust
Old 02-24-2008, 07:08 PM
What is The Dew, and How Do I Do it

bring them to walmart and trade in. A 12oz for 12oz. all youd have to pay i think is $8
Proudly Surrendering people at 25 yrds
Old 02-25-2008, 08:34 AM
don't let your meat loaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSiv Force View Post
bring them to walmart and trade in. A 12oz for 12oz. all youd have to pay i think is $8
That is a good Idea. I'll have to check on that.

PBNTrust