Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2008, 09:02 AM
don't let your meat loaf

Default PC video capture

I'm going to buy a capture device for my computer. Should I get a capture pci card or will one of these usb 2.0 deals work? I have only done a little video editing stuff on my pc but the video was from a digital stills camera that has a video setting. I was able to import the video via the camera's memory stick. The actual video camera that I have is older and uses those small cassets (high 8?). Any way I have a dell with 3.0ghz processor, 2 gigs of ram, about 150 gigs on the hd. What do you guys reccomend? I wanted to get into this cheap and then later maybe upgrade to a good High Def capture card later... Maybe something on the cheap like this

PBNTrust
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 AM
THE GAME

Default Re: PC video capture

I would really think PCI would be much better. It might be considerably more complicated to setup though.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:32 AM

Respected, period.

What type of video camera is it? I have a Sony video camera that uses the 8mm tapes that I can plug right into my computer via firewire cable. Windows Movie Maker, which came stock with my computer, not sure if its a stock program with XP, but it has a video capture program that will automatically take the video off the camera and save it to my computer. You also have a couple options as to what format it saves it in. I also have Sony Vegas Studios that will do video capture as well. I'm not sure what type of outputs your camera has on it, or what inputs your computer has, but you may be able to do it already.

Doesn't really help you choose PCI or USB, just a couple things you should check before you start spending money.

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 02-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

yes XP comes with Movie Maker. i used Vegas last year (along with Sony and Canon camcorders), and i'll take that over MM any day! the way it was explained to me, firewire is best for high-traffic stuff that doesnt stay plugged into your computer all the time, while USB is for lower level data-transfer.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 02-20-2008, 10:11 AM
don't let your meat loaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunut View Post
What type of video camera is it? I have a Sony video camera that uses the 8mm tapes that I can plug right into my computer via firewire cable. Windows Movie Maker, which came stock with my computer, not sure if its a stock program with XP, but it has a video capture program that will automatically take the video off the camera and save it to my computer. You also have a couple options as to what format it saves it in. I also have Sony Vegas Studios that will do video capture as well. I'm not sure what type of outputs your camera has on it, or what inputs your computer has, but you may be able to do it already.

Doesn't really help you choose PCI or USB, just a couple things you should check before you start spending money.
I'll check the camera when I get home today. As far as I know it doesn't have a digital output on it. It is probably 5-7 years old. I don't belive my computer has any digital inputs on it. I will also check it when I get home. I have seen that with the dazzle product, if you are running vista, then it is not for you. I haven't upgraded to vista so I should be ok. It's not like I need this thing today, so anyone that has some imput, please speak up!

PBNTrust
Old 02-20-2008, 01:07 PM

Respected, period.

My camera is pretty old too. I think we got it back when I lived in IL, which was 13 years ago. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure thats when we got it.

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 02-20-2008, 02:38 PM
don't let your meat loaf

here is a shot of the side of the video recorder. I guess it records in mono (only one audio out) and that is a video out and a s-video out, yes?

PBNTrust
Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 PM
THE GAME

http://www.svideo.com/videousb.html
http://www.svideo.com/av2usb.html

check those out.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

my mom's computer came with A/V jacks in the front, and a A/V PCI card in the back. i used my neighbor's camera on it, and it works fine. plus, you can hook your console up to it and play xbox/playstation on your pc! this is the closest i could find:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...650&CatId=1425

and for the one with the TV tuner included:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116620
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 02-20-2008, 04:38 PM
The King Of All VS2's

i Would go with the pci card. even though it might be harder to setup and more in cost it will be a better thing to get. plus its connected directly to the motherboard so thats a plus.

[FS/T]Core2Quad Rig

*!VS2 Owners Group!*

From PbNation
"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in 32 seconds."