Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > General Spyder Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2008, 04:12 PM
don't let your meat loaf

Default Explain some terminology

I am from the old school paintball and just got back into it so I'm not up on all the lingo. Maybe some of you guys can help out. I'll add more as I think of them. Some may be abbreviations. I might add some things as time goes by but if they are wrong definately let me know so I can change them. Mods, feel free to change or add as you see fit.

ASA: Air Source Adapter

ASSHAT: The term given to an individual with the profound ability to (either by attitude, actions and/or lack of moral fiber) leave a our beloved sport with a black eye.

Bottomline: The ASA where the tank screws into on the bottom of the frame and connects to the air line.

Bounce: Bounce is when the trigger is pushed back against the microswitch due to the gun's kick. You fire the gun, the trigger is so loose that the kick from the gun throws the trigger back against the microswitch and activates it again without your help. This is dangerous because you aren't in control of your gun.

FTW: For the win.

Integrity: Ability to do the right thing even when no one is looking.

LP, Running LP: The act of configuring a marker so that it uses low pressure (Less than 400psi) to shoot as opposed to using high pressure (More than 400psi) to shoot.

Operating Pressure: The pressure at which a marker is set and configured to work.

Ramping: Ramping is an assist mode that "adds" shots to your trigger pull up to a predetermined rate of fire. There are multiple forms of ramping: straight (or hard) ramping, soft ramping, PSP ramping, Millenium ramping, NXL and various "specialized" forms of ramping.

Sportsmanship: The ability to win and show respect to your opponent, or to loose with dignity and show the same respect to the victor.

Timmy Dents: The ball dents from an intimidator. Superrior to stock dents.

VA: Verticle Adapter. The ASA where the reg (or tank) screws into the body of the gun.

Thanks for any answers you can provide.

PBNTrust

Last edited by deano 177 : 02-19-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added more junk:)
Old 01-20-2008, 04:36 PM
WILL WORK FOR PAINT!

Default Re: Explain some terminology

Ramping is when you pull a certain speed (usually 4bps) for more than a set amount of time (usually 4-5 balls) the gun goes into a full auto mode (usually 10-20bps) as long as you keep pulling that set speed.

Spyder Victor with a modded CORE derlin bolt, polished striker and polished valve assembly

BEING POOR SUCKS
Old 01-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Ramping is an assist mode that "adds" shots to your trigger pull up to a predetermined rate of fire. There are multiple forms of ramping: straight (or hard) ramping, soft ramping, PSP ramping, Millenium ramping, NXL and various "specialized" forms of ramping.

Straight (hard) ramping: Gun is set to start ramping at a particular finger speed - say 10 bps. When you hit that bps, the gun takes over and "ramps" the bps up to another predetermined rate, say 15 bps. So long as you maintain the original 10 bps, the gun will continue to ramp to 15 bps.

Soft ramping: Used as a cheat most times. The gun will slowly ramp up to a predetermined rate of fire, but not all at once. Once the user stops shooting, it resets itself only to come into play again when you start shooting. Hard to catch because of the gradual increase. This can also be set in ALL ramping modes.

PSP: 3 pulls in semi, then the gun shoots 3 times per trigger pull up to a predetermined ROF (say 15 bps.) Resets itself when the trigger is released for 1 second. This is a legal mode in many tournaments, up to 13.33 bps this year.

Millenium: See hard ramping. Legal in the Millenium series at 12 bps this year.

NXL: Basically the same as PSP, but after the 3rd pull it goes into full auto to a certain bps.

Specialized: Each aftermarket board as their own form of special ramping. OMFG, Reactive, Uncapped, etc...
Old 01-20-2008, 05:14 PM
don't let your meat loaf

Ok. thanks for that, viking. It is interesting that they would allow ramping in tourney play but not full auto without ramping. It seems like there is no difference when you watch them on tv. the first one or two shots are slow but then it's a rope. How did the powers that be decide that they would allow ramping but not full auto?

PBNTrust
Old 01-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Mind you, this is all opinion and speculation. I have no proof of what I'm about to say, but this is the way I think they figured it out. As such, your guess is as good as mine!

I think it's a throw back to when all tourney's were semi, but people were cheating left and right. They decided to allow ramping, but only specialized forms of it such as the PSP ramping, to curb cheaters. Since ramping at that time was considered "lazy", and even is considered that today, there was no way they were going to allow "full auto." Where's the skill in that?

It's quite humerous, actually, since I don't count ramping as being lazy, it's just evens the shot count between teams, and makes the paint companies a LOT of money. Some people just don't have the finger speed of others, and that's perfectly ok. While it penalizes the person with a lot of trigger speed, it does even things out a bit. Rather, the thing that I see that happened with the advent of ramping was that people got lazy on the field. No more strategic movement to find angles, at least not that much, in my opinion. Instead, it was just flooding the lanes with paint and holding people in their bunkers. Eventually, someone would stick something out and get hit. Not so much the semi and pro level, but at other levels this is what I saw happening.

Now that the PSP and Millenium series have lowered (slightly) their BPS, I think the game will slowly slide back to the way it was right after ramping was introduced as legal - there will be a lot of movement, most of it reckless, but all in all more fun to watch overall.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 PM
don't let your meat loaf

Well, I think that it should be semi and if you can move you fingers at 20bps then that is what you should be allowed to shoot. No electric or mechanical assist. But, being as my opinion doesn't really matter, I guess it is what it is...

PBNTrust

Last edited by deano 177 : 01-21-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:53 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

There's the problem, though. No one can physically move their fingers that fast, or even half that fast, yet you have people walking the trigger in "semi" at 20+ bps? Just 5 years ago, people were bragging about how they could hit 14 bps, and each year, the number just gets higher. No, it's all "assisted" in some manner, so it's not techanically semi mode. This is where there's a ton of gray area...and where the cheating began. I believe this is the reason for ramping - people are cheating, so they figured they may as well try to control the ramping somehow...

But, like you said, no one listens to me either, and my opinion is just that and unheard for the most part...so we do what the powers that be tell us to do!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Finally!!!

Sportsmanship-The ability to win and show respect to your opponent, or to loose with dignity and show the same respect to the victor.

Integrity-Ability to do the right thing even when no one is looking.

Both very important terms in any sport but especially in paintball.

**This was mentioned previously on another thread by somebody else but I think it would help resolve alot of the issues w/people finding ways around the ROF cap's or ramping....Limit the amount of paint each player carries onto the field to a max of 4 pods w/a pod capacity max of 160 balls. That way intelligent players would be more conservative in their ROF and work more on good positioning and taking well placed shots, or just simply outlasting their opponent. It would also increase the amount of aggressive moves by players that were getting low on paint, it's better to take someone with ya then walk off the field empty.
Family Photo
My Feedback
Old 01-26-2008, 05:08 AM
don't let your meat loaf

What about "Bounce and/or bounce settings" as in with a tadao board?

PBNTrust
Old 01-26-2008, 05:29 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Bounce is when the trigger is pushed back against the microswitch due to the gun's kick. You fire the gun, the trigger is so loose that the kick from the gun throws the trigger back against the microswitch and activates it again without your help. This is dangerous because you aren't in control of your gun. I've seen guns go absolutely out of control when the wind blows a bit! When I first got an ultralight trigger for my stock PMR frame, it was so light that it would start bouncing and I literally had to push on the trigger to stop it from shooting.

Bounce settings are there to help you eliminate that from happening. You can raise it and lower it to either eliminate or get more. However, like everything else, some people have them set to slightly bounce to help them get those extra shots in there.