FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: ds or psp
psp 22 91.67%
ds 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2008, 10:05 PM
one ball at a time

Default portable game systems

ok I've not had any form of video game system for about two years now and I'm sick of it.
I have considered a 360 or a wii but I want something I can carry with me
so it's between a PSP or a DS
I don't really know the pros or cons of either since I've ignored my gamer side for a lot longer
so can you guys give me your opinions regarding the performance, applications, game library, battery life, etc.
thank in advance

Last edited by 118917 : 01-05-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

Default Re: portable game systems

i have a DS. if you turn the backlight on the lowest setting, it will last you a long time. i have FFIII, Pokemon Diamond, and Worms Open Warfare. my friend's dad has a PSP, and we kinda compared systems.

the DS is more interactive (duh) and a lot of the time (depending on the game), the bottom screen functions as a touch-pad, adding extra buttons to the game.

the DS has a lot longer battery life

the DS is more multiplayer friendly (had Download-play, where you share 1 game cartridge. we used to play Mario Kart and Goldeneye: Rogue Agent on the bus ride home from school).

PSP has better graphics and "joystick" (which i personally don't like. i also dont like how stiff their L & R buttons feel)

since the PSP has better graphics, they try to fit as much as possible on the screen, and sometimes you're overwhelmed with how small they made everything (in my experience. i hated playing Need For Speed and Battlefront on PSP)

i say DS if you're just going to be a casual gamer. oh, another thing: if you close the DS screen, it pauses your game and uses almost NO battery!
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 01-06-2008, 05:50 AM
Has Been

I have a PSP, and I like it. I dont use it very much, but when I did use it alot i would listen to music on it, as well as I would only play games such as Madden and Poker on it. For my simple usage, it was very convienant.

Ive never used a DS, so i cant vouch for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:16 AM
THE GAME

iPod Touch with jailbreak software. You can play any gameboy rom you want, send IM's, access the internet and do a ton of other stuff.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:20 PM
one ball at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler
iPod Touch with jailbreak software. You can play any gameboy rom you want, send IM's, access the internet and do a ton of other stuff.
I utterly loath everything apple
Old 01-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Spyder Addict

I'd go with the psp. I have my ds and I hardly play it any more. The graphics are not that good, the games seem like they were all made for little kids, and you will get bored of it pretty fast.

I Play my psp more often, it has the same games that a normal video game system has, it can play music, videos, and has web browser.

both the psp and ds have a power save when you don't want to turn it off. The psp has pretty good battery life but the ds has better
Old 01-06-2008, 09:52 PM
one ball at a time

well alright I'll take your advice and go for the psp
I'm getting the psp final fantasy bundle from gamestop on friday
how about some game recomendations

Last edited by 118917 : 01-07-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:25 AM
The Gumpster

Socom II, my brother has that and its sweet. I also like GTA: Liberty City Stories
"You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there. Your world is right for the next couple hours. This is your heaven on earth. Live it. Love it. Paintball for life."
Red Proto jersey, USED ONCE!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Gun Whore Extraodinair......113 And Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler

100% agree, I got 650 original Nintendo games and close to 100 DS games on my touch. Also have 4GB of music, 5 full length movies, seasons 1-4 of family guy and about 25 other apps.

Back to gun whoring.....

armedfuture (8:12:32 PM): I'm a big angel
paintball6684 (8:16:09 PM): more like out of control, raging ginger
armedfuture (8:16:40 PM): noooooooo...........
Old 01-07-2008, 04:40 PM
My money is going into my car. What's paintball?

PSP is a portable media device... as where the DS is targeted more twards heavier gamers. Personally, I LOVE my DS. I love the games for it, I love the Internet Browser for it, and I love how it interacts with the Wii (eventually).

If you're getting a Wii, get the DS. If you're getting a 360 and aren't looking for a system that does just games, get the PSP.

If you have friends that have the DS, multi player on it is INCREDIBLE. I love playing Mario Cart with a bunch of friends, duking it out in Metriod Prime: Hunters (which is also online), and more.

PSP has a nice online game selection, especially SOCOM: Fire Team Bravo series. PSP and DS both have headsets that can be used for online play, but the DS has a built in microphone so the head set is not needed.

I love the PSP also... so it's hard for me to give you a one sided opinion on the handhelds. PSP also has an internet browser... but it's not as good as the one on the DS for a few reasons. Touch screen internet > Button internet.

Battery life on the DS is outstanding. The PSP doesn't have as good battery life due to the disk reader. The load time on the PSP is also very slow. The DS has virtually no load time.

It also depends on what kind of games you're into. Shooters/racing games get a PSP. RPG/Adventure/Puzzle games go with a DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Lud08
I'd go with the psp. I have my ds and I hardly play it any more. The graphics are not that good, the games seem like they were all made for little kids, and you will get bored of it pretty fast.

I Play my psp more often, it has the same games that a normal video game system has, it can play music, videos, and has web browser.

both the psp and ds have a power save when you don't want to turn it off. The psp has pretty good battery life but the ds has better
The graphics on the DS are much cleaner, if not better then the PSP. I guess you've never played Final Fantasy 12, Final Fantasy III or pretty much any other quality game on the DS for that matter. The PSP makes everything look like a clay figurine.

The DS has the same games as a normal video game system too. FFXII is also on the PS2. The games are not all targeted towards little kids... most of them aren't. How do you know he'll get bored of it? Most of what you've stated is all opinionated. Not fact.

Quote:
armedfuture (3:14:56 AM): they get upset easy when you use big words like "rental" and "air"

Last edited by Ace24 : 01-07-2008 at 04:54 PM.