Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Shop Talk > Air Systems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2007, 09:20 AM
WILL WORK FOR PAINT!

Default Why NOT to loctite pinvalves/regs

Out of boredom I pulled the pinvalve of my 9oz tank today.

Spyder Victor with a modded CORE derlin bolt, polished striker and polished valve assembly

BEING POOR SUCKS
Old 11-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Spyder Addict

Default Re: Why NOT to loctite pinvalves/regs

WOW. Did you locktight it? or did it come that way.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:31 PM
WILL WORK FOR PAINT!

It came that way its a PSI plus 9oz steelie. Now of course its all cleaned up and reassembled witout any loc tite. I am going to inspect the valve on my 20oz the next time it is empty.

Spyder Victor with a modded CORE derlin bolt, polished striker and polished valve assembly

BEING POOR SUCKS
Old 11-17-2007, 05:16 PM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

Thumbs down Re: Why NOT to loctite pinvalves/regs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_McCormic
.............Now of course its all cleaned up and reassembled witout any loc tite. I am going to inspect the valve on my 20oz the next time it is empty.
Smart move! Now when you try to unscrew the tank, the bottle will easily unscrew from the valve and possibly shoot off like a rocket and kill someone. At least the holes will be cleared now and give you a lil warning ahead of time. From the frying pan into the fire. This is exactly why it's suggested for a certified tech to perform such a task -

The holes were only filled because they used too much Loctite, not because they used it in general. You're playing with fire and most assuredly get burned as a result! -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 11-17-2007, 07:39 PM
one ball at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON
Smart move! Now when you try to unscrew the tank, the bottle will easily unscrew from the valve and possibly shoot off like a rocket and kill someone. At least the holes will be cleared now and give you a lil warning ahead of time. From the frying pan into the fire. This is exactly why it's suggested for a certified tech to perform such a task -

The holes were only filled because they used too much Loctite, not because they used it in general. You're playing with fire and most assuredly get burned as a result! -
trust in dragon and you will prosper
turn your back on dragon and a ban slap you will recieve
Old 11-17-2007, 07:42 PM
The Gumpster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 118917
trust in dragon and you will prosper
turn your back on dragon and a ban slap you will recieve
I lol'd that
"You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there. Your world is right for the next couple hours. This is your heaven on earth. Live it. Love it. Paintball for life."
Red Proto jersey, USED ONCE!
Old 11-17-2007, 08:17 PM
WILL WORK FOR PAINT!

Didnt some kid die a few year ago from a co2 valve with a clogged port? Im REALLY not seing some of the logic used by you guys the valve has several more threads than the tank, enough that when you screw it off to a point where the relief port is exposed there is still maximum threading going on. Should i apply loc tite to HPA tanks while im at it because Carleton sure doesnt think I should http://resources.carltech.com/PTD/valves.html. And to quote a hydro tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandhfire View Post
http://resources.carltech.com/PTD/valves.html
If the manufactures say dont use it, You DONT. Its amazing why people think paintball tanks are different then lets say a dive tank or a medical tank, we dont use loctite on those do we, NO. Using loctite is dangerous and not everyone puts the same amount, not to mention when it comes time for hydro, trust me I had to put a 3ft pipe wrench on this one reg. just to get it off. Another one Someone put so much on I snapped the reg. off I got some pics of the tank and what happens when you use to much loctite I just dont know how to upload them.

BEING POOR SUCKS
Old 11-17-2007, 09:30 PM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

Red face Re: Why NOT to loctite pinvalves/regs

HPA tanks normally have 3000-5000psi pushing between the tank and regulator. Not much a chance they're going to unscrew, therefore Loctite is not an essential. HPA tanks do not have a substance in them that makes the components expand and contract because of temperature variations -

You're mixing apples with oranges here. HPA and C02 tanks are different and use different propellants. I won't debate this with you. All I'm saying is this is an accident waiting to happen and it's your(or someone elses) funeral. AMOF, next time you get this tank filled, mention that the valve threads have no Loctite and see what the person at the pro shop tells you -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 12-13-2007, 05:53 PM
don't let your meat loaf

My friend let me borrow a 9oz a while back. When I started taking the tank off the top started unscrewing. I was like WWWWTTTTFFFFF!!!!.
I had never had that happen before. It was out of air at the time but still. I took the tank off the marker and started playing around with it to see what was going on. It seemed like there was some white "glue" that was supposed to hold it in. It was gone. I have never seen white lock-tight. Red is the bad-ass-never-let-go stuff, Blue is tough and Orange just means that whatever you are working on has been torqued.(I might be wrong about the strengths and colors but that has been my experiance)

I did notice the blowoff hole about a 1/4" from the top of the threads. That eased my mind to know that if it did unscrew while full that hopefully I would have just got a face full of cold air and not a 9oz rocket. Any way I told him about it and he asked me if I tighened it back up. I told him he needed to take that tank out of service and that I would pay for it since it happened on my watch. Then he wipped out a pipe wrench and gave it a torque and said "good as new!" I tried to tell him that he should have the paintball store that we go to look at it but he was cool with the way he fixed it.

Now having said that, I am a trades person. I saw the way this thing was threaded together. You would have to really and truly be a total f-up to take this thing all the way out. Even if the blow hole was plugged.

PBNTrust
Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 PM
EM1 Tech guy

Blue is low
Red is darn good hold
Green is get the cutting torch out!!!!