Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Mechanical Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005, 03:01 PM
New Guy

Default New to the Paintball world with a Xtra.

Whats up everyone? Although I am new to recreational paintball and anything further, I have played a few times. I just picked up a Spyder New Xtra for around $70. I decided to go with this as my entry level for recreational use.

From what I heard you should always upgrade your stock barrel. I've been looking at J&J Ceramic, Smart Parts Teardrop and Progressive. What's everyone's opinions on those three, is there any other out there around 40-50 bucks better? Also what other upgrades do you think in the future I should add. Some people say just upgrade the barrel and when I'm ready to get more serious to go and buy a E-marker. Others say when time is good to buy a E-trigger kit and so forth.

So any suggestions will be a good suggestion in my eyes. I am looking forward to all of this. I've seen nothing but good with the events and all. I really want to get in to it more than recreational in the future.

Thanx,

kishin
Old 12-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Don't make me get my Dremel.

all those 3 barrels are ok, what's really important is paint to barrel match.

Super Duper Feedback
Old 12-28-2005, 03:10 PM
wat

Well, as far as the barrel goes you have several options. For that price range I would go with a CP 1 piece personally because you get looks and great functionality.

As far as other upgrades go, it is all personal preference, your budget, and whether you plan to play often or not. If you're planning to play every weekend or at least a few times a month, I would suggest once you get used to the sport, picking up something a bit nicer such as a Smart Parts Ion or something in that price range.

If you're not planning to play very often, like only a few times a year, you'd be better off either staying mechanical for low maintenance, or buying an electronic frame used and just not upgrading much, but as I said..it is your personal preference.

Hope I could be of some assistance, welcome to the sport and to the boards!
Old 12-28-2005, 03:10 PM
RaWr

You seem to be off on the right foot...

1. All 3 of those barrel choices are good, I would suggest whatever you think looks better and whichever you think you want. the performance is roughly the same out of the 3. I would not get a barrel that is over 14 inches or one that is under 10 inches. but that is about all I have to say.

2. E Triggers are a great upgrade for a mech marker, But after getting a barrel I suggest getting a good regulator such as the bob long torpedo or the Palmers stabalizer. Also before you get a E frame I suggest getting a E hopper this will make it so you do not chop balls as often. lastly I suggest a E-frame. after you have that all settup you can start focusing on smaller upgrades such as grips, feednecks, triggers, ASA's these are all nice but not 100% essential.

Welcome to the boards.
"If society is tranquil, it is not because it is conscious of its strength and its well-being, but because it fears its weakness and its infirmities; a single effort may cost it its life. Everyone feels the evil, but no one has courage or energy enough to seek the cure."
Old 12-28-2005, 03:30 PM
New Guy

I am looking to be that rec player on weekends, once I get better at the sport overall, i would like to get more serious with the sport. To me looks isn't a factor for choosing a barrel to me.

As for electronic hoppers, what ones do you suggest? Again I try and do my homework so I read up on Richochet and a few others. I don't need a Halo one, lil too much for me right now, once I upgrade to a better gun I would defenitly consider a Halo.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:33 PM
wat

For your Spyder, I recommend the Revolution or Empire Reloader (not the Reloader B). Or if you want a bit faster and better looking, for for an eggy (eVLution).
Old 12-28-2005, 04:08 PM
New Guy

Smile

Thank you for all the opinions so far, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Marine Corps.

you could probably get a used barrel that's really good for 25 dollars on this site .. or pbnation. As along the lines of a esp frame.. you might want a better feeding system before you go upgrading your bps ... You'll find a lot of chopping occuring if you have more bps before having an aggitating hopper .. A good starter for an aggitating hopper would probably be a revvy which i have found one for 15 used .. but im not sure of the condition .. i'v also found an eggy for 35 too.

Most important to upgrade IMO first is your feedneck and barrel. if you don't have money to upgrade everything .. you could always go with the home mods at www.ottersccustoms.com .. just be careful .. and think about what your doing. A boblong torpedo .. is a good reg for both co2 and HPA .. and has a pretty good recharge rate .. and for a new VA .. which you could just drill yours ... could be an assault block ...

Then you could get HPA ... co2 is really unstable .. and it has a lot of spikes .. and without an antisiphon tube .. it's really bad for your gun because you'll find a lot of o-rings busting because of the liquid co2 getting into your gun .. keep in mind co2's colder than air.

If you arn't going to really play that often .. all of this really isn't necessary .. all that is really needed is a new barrel and a clamping feedneck .. since an elbow breaks really easily ... you should stick with the mechy .. and if it doesn't seem fast enough for you .. you could always do some home mods on your mechy to achieve a better fire rate

Well ... thats some of what you needa know ... but if your gonna really go high and squeeqe every ounce of your spyder .. there's always a t-board and such but i won't go into that
Old 12-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Spyder Addict

jcrazyjj had a esp frame and a 14" J&J barrel for sale if my memory serves me correctly.

Yeah here's the link to it
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=112

The ESP frame is $35 and he may have sold the barrel.
He also has an eggy (eVLution).

Last edited by ad0131065 : 12-28-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Bling Bling Bling

I have a 14" J&J ceramic and I love it. I just added a CP 2 piece to my setup so I could match paint to barrel better. But the J&J is still awesome. I would also change the feedneck. My friend picked up an Xtra a few weeks ago and the first day out the plastic one cracked. It was colder out and that may have contributed to it, but still it broke. A new one is cheap enough 20ish bucks. As for a loader a 12v Revolution (Revy) is a good option, but if you are going to play more often go for an Evolution (Egg), that way if you upgrade your marker or get a new one you don't need a new hopper. Just some advance thinking...

Well that was my .02

Welcome to the NEW board!!!

HacKeR

Trust
*AO*IO*KUSA*PBN*PHOG*
You have been roshamboed
BAMF-Hacker's Mood: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!