View Poll Results: MacDev Droid
Recommend 4 80.00%
It's an all right product 1 20.00%
Not recommend 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default MacDev Droid

Well, thanks to TimberTiger, I have this sweet MacDev product to review. It's going to be tough sending it to him when I'm finished, that's for sure, LOL! Just kidding - I'll get it back to you in 3, maybe 4 months...

So, several months ago, Timber approached me and asked if I wouldn't mind reviewing this gun for him. It was totally TOP SECRET and no one was to know. Of course, we know how long that lasted, haha!

I was to get it the week following World Cup, but due to some difficulty at the factory (I believe) it didn't get here until this week. No worries, just that this week has been the longest week in history for me, and I didn't even realize I had it until I rolled in around 11:00 one night to a message on my answering machine from Robert asking if I got it that day. So, true to form, I sent my daughter scurrying to the front porch, and sure enough, there it was!

This will be a totally unbiased review. I have never owned a MacDev product, only having heard rumors about them, so I was expecting something good, but not to the point that I knew what to expect. Also, it's going to be somewhat shorter than normal since I believe there is some interest in this for a paintball magazine, so I can't elaborate too much on the gun.

Oh, and BTW, I write rather lengthy reviews trying to be as thorough as possible, so if you don't like it, turn around and go now because I don't do tl:dr's! So, without further ado, here goes!

First impressions:

Like any good paintball player, I was excited to open this thing up and see what the fuss was all about. Even though it was pretty late, I figured, what the heck?

The package was a bit larger than what I was expecting. Not thick, just long. Right away, I wondered what might be in it. Opening it up, I saw the gun, of course, a two piece Matchstick barrel (bore size .689) a small tub of lube, a manual, a really cool Allen wrench kit (the kind with the ball on the end of them) a barrel sleeve and pretty decent foam packaging.

My first thought was, "Oooo, shiny!" But then, when I put it together, I got to thinking, "I wanna shoot it - NOW!" But, knowing that firing a paintball marker after 11:00 at night is probably going to cause a big ruckus at the next neighborhood meeting, I decided to wait until I could give it a good review.

Second Look:

In this comparison picture, with my Rail on the right and my Shocker on the left, the Droid is very comparable in height. When I put the barrel on the Droid, then held it (without the tank) I thought, "Whew, this puppy is lonnggg." However, when I compared it to the three guns in the picture, the Droid is only about an inch longer than my Shocker, and within a half inch of the Rail (if you don't count the decorative points on the front and back of the Rail.)

I think that the reason I thought it was longer was because there is a HUGE gap between the reg and the trigger guard. While I have a teammate that would love this, I was less than thrilled. I'm what you might call short, and have short arms. The closer the gun sits to me, the more comfortable I am. So, without a tank on it, I began to have reservations about it.

I noticed that the Gladiator reg is pretty thin. Thinner than any I've ever used before. I looked it up on the internet, and sure enough, it's something like 2/3's thinner than last year's model. While I enjoy it's size (once again, small hands) I could see that maybe those with bigger hands might feel a bit off.

The anno out of the box looked nearly perfect. While I'm not a fan of black guns (although my rail is black - it was the only color available at the time) this looked pretty good and I was fairly impressed. It looks thick, and like it won't wear off any time soon. However, I was a bit disappointed after closer inspection, because I noticed the obvious tool marks on the body where the ridges on both sides and the top meet the main body, as well as on the frame. It's not so obvious that it'll jump out at you, but you can see them in the right light and feel them when you run your fingers over them. With as much as this gun costs (msrp around $1100.00), and coming with a polished finish, I pretty much expect it to be smoother than a baby's bottom everywhere. Maybe I'm picky, but then again, this is a review!

One last thing to watch out for on this gun. Where the back cap goes are a couple of points. While they don't stick out far, they are VERY pointy and somewhat sharp. I think maybe MacDev could have dulled them up a little more, but that's an opinion of mine and doesn't matter one way or the other.

Let's end this section on a postive note, though. I absolutely LOVE the sliding on/off switch just to the back of the frame and under the body. It's a dream! Instant on, and the LED indicates immediately if there's paint in the barrel. A+ for this!

Here'is a picture of the gun to make you drool a bit...

Old 12-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default Re: MacDev Droid

cont.

Shooting:

Now, I know that looks do not affect the gun's performance, although there are those that choose a gun strictly on it's looks. Sooo, I took it out for a spin in my backyard.

Note - I didn't mess with any of the settings, which there are modes a-plenty on this thing. Since it's not mine, I'm going to leave it stock and see what happens with it. I'll let Timber mess with it when he gets it. However, I did mess with the trigger a little. The actuation point is very far back in the pull, for me anyways, and the back slack is nil. Also, there is a lot of slop from side to side. One thing I have to say is this trigger is a pain to adjust - I never had so much difficulty getting it where I wanted it. Not the gun's fault, just mine...

Anywho, when I screwed in the tank and shouldered it, my earlier trepidation at the length of this gun disappeared. It felt 100 times better - much more comfy against my shoulder. While it is set up a bit longer than I like, that's easily taken care of because the cool new on/off asa that came with it (see pic) is set on an integrated dovetail, just like the Rail. I like this aspect a lot!

Please note: I shot Formula 13 from last week's practice. It was in great shape and has been rotated every other day. When I tested it, it was a good fit with the barrel, with no easy roll throughs. Now, my loader was a bit dirty as I shot some crappy XO paint at the end of practice and it blew up in my gun - but I only noticed a couple of spots that needed cleaning, which I did. I had 3500 psi on a 68/4500 tank, and it was 40 degrees with a strong wind, but not much moisture despite the rain we had yesterday.

I shot a complete loader to warm it up, and noticed that the paint was all over the place. I figured that the gun was hot out of the box, so I got my Radarchron handheld chronograph out (the yellow one.) I was chronoing around 298 fps, with a couple spikes into the 300's, so I left it alone. I loaded up the loader again, then ripped off about half of it. To my surprise, I got +/- 13, which wasn't too impressive. (Exact readings were 292, 304, 296, 291, 304, 294, 299, and 295 in that order.) I realize this is a reg that isn't broken in, and I haven't taken the time to lube it properly, so take it as you will. I finished out the loader, got some more paint and checked it again. This time it was +/- 26! (313, 300, 304, 302, and 287 in that order.)

On a good note, the paint had worked it's kinks out and was flying MUCH straighter - 8 out of 10 in a 12 inch diameter at 60 feet distance. On 2.5 loaders, I used a little under 1000 psi.

Impressions:

The kick (if you want to call it that) on this gun is minimal, but it is there. Nothing to distract the shooter, or cause worry, but it was very similar to the barrel rise that my Shocker gets. Again, this was with the stock settings, so it could be fixable. It was reminiscent of shooting a DM, but felt closer to the "kick" my Rail gives me, which is minimal. However, there was an absence of air shooting out of the back cap as in the Rail and the Shocker.

I'm going to leave the review at this, and I'll probably come in and edit some of these pictures and the text out, depending on what magazine wants to use.

Overall, the gun is ok, but I'm not exactly bowled over by how awesome it is. Sure, it's got some nice points but it's an 1100.00 gun, so it should have nice points. However, had it had a msrp of around 400-500, I'd have been MUCH more impressed with it. Overall, I give this gun an A- rating.

If you want to ask questions, go ahead and I'll try to answer them without spoiling too much!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Cpt of team Lost Cause

Question: do you think it is truly worth getting, or would you be better getting a 07 ego, or a shocker?

IMO: Looks kinda like a NXT shocker.....just my oppion i guess
Pilot Owners club #64
!Pilot ACS black to blue fade!,
32* spring set,
Calmping Feedneck,
Blue Dye Stickeys-
blackVLocity JR/Virtued

Jersey:Purple DXS (dont ask....)
Pants: Blue Dye C7 or Yellow Stinger Combat BDU
Mask:Blue Vents Avatars (clear[cloudy/rainy] or smoke lense[sunny/sunny]
Pack: NXe 3+2+2
U.S. Army ROTC
Old 12-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Banned

good review!
Old 12-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause
Question: do you think it is truly worth getting, or would you be better getting a 07 ego, or a shocker?

IMO: Looks kinda like a NXT shocker.....just my oppion i guess
I'm going to have to take the easy way out on this question and say that I need to spend more time with it before I can decide that. But I will say that I'm not a fan of Egos - just never could get the hang of them. I have a practice next weekend, and I planned on using it then in some actual games so that I can get more of a take to make a better review (plus that's where the air and paint is!) That is, if Timber will let me. It's his gun, so I'll send it back as soon as he wants.

Actually, it reminds me more of a SFT Shocker than anything.

I was going to compare it to a couple of other guns for you guys...but I can't remember off the top of my head what they were. However, I can say that a DM 6 shoots much smoother than this one, and the Rail is very close to it. Now, that's not saying it's a bad shooter - it's a great shooting little gun! Remember though, I haven't tweaked any of the settings...

There is so much more I could have said in this review, but I'm holding off for a reason!

Thanks, newkid!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Cpt of team Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshadow
I'm going to have to take the easy way out on this question and say that I need to spend more time with it before I can decide that. But I will say that I'm not a fan of Egos - just never could get the hang of them. I have a practice next weekend, and I planned on using it then in some actual games so that I can get more of a take to make a better review (plus that's where the air and paint is!) That is, if Timber will let me. It's his gun, so I'll send it back as soon as he wants.

Actually, it reminds me more of a SFT Shocker than anything.

I was going to compare it to a couple of other guns for you guys...but I can't remember off the top of my head what they were. However, I can say that a DM 6 shoots much smoother than this one, and the Rail is very close to it. Now, that's not saying it's a bad shooter - it's a great shooting little gun! Remember though, I haven't tweaked any of the settings...

There is so much more I could have said in this review, but I'm holding off for a reason!

Thanks, newkid!
True, and thanks for the review, hope you get to keep it till this weekend to get more of a feel for the gun!
Pilot Owners club #64
!Pilot ACS black to blue fade!,
32* spring set,
Calmping Feedneck,
Blue Dye Stickeys-
blackVLocity JR/Virtued

Jersey:Purple DXS (dont ask....)
Pants: Blue Dye C7 or Yellow Stinger Combat BDU
Mask:Blue Vents Avatars (clear[cloudy/rainy] or smoke lense[sunny/sunny]
Pack: NXe 3+2+2
U.S. Army ROTC
Old 12-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

Good review.
You said that the rail was on the left and shocker was on the right. Its opposite.
Rail on right, shocker on left. just thought I'd point that out.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Respected Player

good review, nice gun
Old 12-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

great review! but there was a typo: "I realize this is a reg that isn't broken in, and I haven't taken the time to lube it properly, so tak it as you will.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Spyder Addict

Yeah MD regs take a bit of break in. Also Vike if you want feel free to adjust the trigger! For some fun you can hold in the trigger and turn the gun on. When it turns Blue your in programming mode. Pull the trigger slowly until you get to the rapidly blinking white light and hold the trigger down until the blinking slows. It will blink the current mode setting. Then pull the trigger 4 times and stop. When it turns back to the rapid blinking it's set and you just turn it off and back on. That is testing mode. Eyes are automatically off and the dwell is lowered to whatever the default test dwell is. You'll find you can here the noid cycling and the marker will essentially cycle. It lets you check your trigger speed and doesn't use hardly any air! Its also super quiet. doesn't bother the wife, the sleeping baby, or the pets! Don't worry if you mess it up their is an easy reset in the manual that reverts the gun right back to stock(pg. 17).

On another note here is what are some of the positives that you won't notice on visual inspection. Stick finger down feedneck and pull trigger! Also take notice of how the marker operates. There is one reg, electronic board, solenoid and drive train. Those are all of the parts of the marker. You can replace a droid drivetrain in about 35-45 seconds. You can replace the reg in about 25 seconds. You can replace the board in about 1 min. The solenoid will take well under 3 mins. The solenoids they are using are extremely well built and rarely have an issue. So in under 2 mins we can repair any problems in the marker making them exceptionally user friendly.

Oh and a side note........it's behind because of the high demand at this time. I bet you all thought I was gonna hand him my personal one........as if......I have to play too! We have 4 of these locally on our team from cup! All are being used and Vike needed a brand new one to do an honest review!