Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Member Reviews
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I didn't do it...No witnesses survived

Default Smart Parts SP1

Got this in the mail today (one day early, gotta love ActionVillage and the USPS!). Figured I would share my out-of-the-box impressions.

Very nice packaging, of course, kinda weird angled corner, but whatever floats their boat, right?

Here's the marker as it comes out of the box. The only thing I did was attach the barrel.

These shots show the front of the marker, with the barrel shroud, and the rear of the marker, with the B.O.B. plate. This plate is replaceable with a stock adapter that makes it compatible with Tippmann model 98 stocks. The adapter just became available Wednesday so I haven't gotten it yet, I will though.

This shot shows my current configuration with my mini Mag-lite in the hole that's designed for it, and the side tac-rails removed. I could have left them on there, but I'm not going to attach 23 useless items to the rails just to have them. I play paintball, I'm not part of a SWAT team. I may or may not leave the Mag-lite in there.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to
go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will"
Ronald Reagan
Old 11-24-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Smart Parts SP1

So, my impressions:

Fit and Finish
Overall, the fit and finish are very good. No unusual gaps or weird alignments. The barrel is a little too polished for my taste, but that will be taken care of with a new barrel, hopefully SP gets behind these in a big way and makes dust Freak fronts in reasonable sizes. The marker is not aluminum, so I can't taunt you for weeks about a new anno job that may or may not be coming on a marker that may or may not exist. Its virtually the same polymer that Glock uses in their handguns. In my hands, it very much feels like Glock made an SMG. One of my main gripes is the battery. When you hold the marker, and shake the hell out of it, the battery rattles around like a ball bearing in a spraypaint can. I used pieces of double sided foam tape on the front and bottom of the inside of the grip frame, and on both sides of the battery to quiet it down and now it makes no noise at all. I prefer my markers to not rattle at all, especially if I'm in the woods trying to be quiet! I also don't like the glue that they used to hold on the tac rails. First off, it wasn't all that strong, I was able to pry several of them off with my hands. Second, it left this gnarly pink residue that Goo-Gone won't do anything to. I'm going to have to work my way up the solvent chain. I also don't like that the Mag-lite hole doesn't have a lock-down. It comes with a pin that holds the plug in, but, unless I cut off most of the end, it won't work, I probably will do that though, it's just loose enough that I would worry.

Maintenance
I just got it, so long term, I've no idea. The marker is based on a variation of the Ion bolt, with the new bolt-out-back operation. Remove the two screws on the back plate, slide out the breech and the bolt, lube and replace, should be easy enough.

Use
Again, just got it. I'll have to get some air and put paint through it. It's lighter than my VS2, and lighter than my half-built mil-spim. I may or may not need a stock. With my 68/4500, it tucks nicely into my shoulder, isn't too high with my Egg, and the feedneck is solid and tight.

Upgrades
I'll probably end up getting the Blackheart board just so I have the other mode options and the eyes, I like having that safety net there. I'll also get a Freak back and use that, I want a DeadyWind barrel, but I'm a little concerned about the shroud. I'll probably also get a stock, just in case I feel the need, or go with a remote.

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Critical : 11-24-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Banned

wow the rails are just glued on, how does it shoot?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:30 AM
WILL WORK FOR PAINT!

Does it eat CO2 like the vibe? It looks like Tippmann has a competitor now, a very very evil competitor.

Spyder Victor with a modded CORE derlin bolt, polished striker and polished valve assembly

BEING POOR SUCKS
Old 11-25-2007, 12:38 PM

I won't know how it shoots for a couple of weeks. I work with retail stores and this is their silly season. I can try to get some co2 through it but most everyone I play with who lives nearby has converted to air. As far as competition, I think it's about time someone brought speedball tech to the woods at a price that can compete with the sear-trippers

Ronald Reagan
Old 11-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Oh, and the tac rails have allen head screws. the glue is secondary.

Ronald Reagan
Old 11-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Mountian Dew sponsored

its not made of aluminum, damn, makes it sound cheap,
Old 11-26-2007, 06:26 AM

People said the same thing about Glock pistols when they came out, yet, all these years later, Glock is one of the more popular pistol brands out there.

Holding it, it feels anything but cheap. I'm actually starting to like the polymer instead of aluminum, it gives a more tactical look and feel and probably saves weight as well.

Ronald Reagan
Old 11-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Gun Whore Extraodinair......113 And Counting

I got to shoot one yesterday, overall it is a nice for what it is. The feel is very nice, I loved the single trigger. Didn't have much kick and shot pretty straight. After playing with it for a few games i was very impressed with it and might actually pick one up to play around with and use for woodsball, don't play woodsball very often but for the price I can justify it. Overall I would say it would make one of the best guns for woods, single trigger and capped at 11 is more then enough to get by with playing rec ball.

Back to gun whoring.....

armedfuture (8:12:32 PM): I'm a big angel
paintball6684 (8:16:09 PM): more like out of control, raging ginger
armedfuture (8:16:40 PM): noooooooo...........
Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Mountian Dew sponsored

with a single trigger and board capped at 11 bps, how fast do you think you can pull? so i don't think eyes are needed at all

i'm pretty sure a halo b could keep up perfectly