Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default Cell phone illiterate needs help

Doing some Christmas shopping and I was thinking of getting my daughter a new cell phone since for the last year she's had the crappy free thing I got when I signed her onto my plan.

Do I have to get her a phone from my provider (high dollar phones make me not want to buy one at all...) or can I get one from somewhere else? These so-called "unlocked" phones? All I would have to do is just switch the SIM card over, right?

Or is it possible to "unlock" a phone myself? Finally, what's the phone all the kids are in to these days?

Thanks for the help, fellers!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:12 PM
I didn't do it...No witnesses survived

Default Re: Cell phone illiterate needs help

If you have a carrier that uses SIM cards (i.e. AT&T or T-Mobile), and I assume you do, since you asked, yes, you can purchase an unlocked handset and swap the SIM over to it. The difference is that you are paying full MSRP, which can be anywhere from $49 to as much as you are willing to pay. You can pay to have a phone unlocked, but it's far easier (and faster, and probably cheaper in the long run) to buy it already unlocked. Sorry, can't help you with what's hot. I'm in the wrong demographic.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to
go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will"
Ronald Reagan
Old 11-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Spyder Addict

blackberry pearl rocks...but i'm o l d
05 Pilot ACS - SPPS Dragon tail trigger, 50 gram switch, CCM feedneck, ACP Bolt, Sticky 3's, Trinity -7 deg. V/A, Rocket Valve, DH Titanium Striker, BL Torp., T board w/ Eyes, Cp Direct Mount On/Off, 275 fps@250 psi

VS2

Black to Olive PM6

"All men have fear. The brave ones lay it down and go forward...some unto death but all to victory!" - Kings Guard of Ancient Greece

OLD FART CLUB MEMBER
My Feedback
Old 11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Hmmmm, might have to see about these unlocked phones, then. Ebay good, maybe?

So then it's a myth that you have to use the phones from your carrier, right? There aren't any penalties or such (how would they know if you were using a different phone?)
Old 11-21-2007, 03:44 PM
sXe Fools

Personally I love my Razr. Stupid name, but I don't use it more than Texting, and calling.

That's what I would get. I think I bought it for like $30 or something around there.

PBN Feed
Old 11-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Has Been

Vike... the sim card thing only works if its a company that uses sim cards, so if you have a company like Sprint or Verizon, your out of luck.

Ebay is a good place to look, but what kind of phone is she looking for? and what service do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

I have Cellone (AT&T just bought them out). I believe it uses the SIM cards because both our phones have them.

She doesn't know that I'm considering this, she just made mention about a month ago that she'd like a new phone. That was it.

I have a RAZR and I like it a lot, but then I only use it for calling - we don't have texting. I'm also not that hard on phones, and being that she's 15, I figure she'll be a bit rougher than me.

Any suggestions? I just looked on eBay, and I'd rather buy new as you never know what you get with used things, especially phones...
Old 11-21-2007, 04:16 PM
I didn't do it...No witnesses survived

I believe that both tigerdirect and newegg sell unlocked handsets, as do the Best Buys (in this area, probably not in yours). Just google unlocked handsets or something like that and you'll get millions of hits for stores that sell new unlocked handsets.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to
go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will"
Ronald Reagan
Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Spyder Addict

uhh... coulda sworn that i already said this but its been a long day, and i must not of, BUT

The LG Chocolate Flip (LG8600) is a really good phone (not sure if they have them in GSM, but im almost sure that they do), the camera on them isnt great by any stretch, but it also has a music player with 1 GB flash drive. One thing about them though, is that if you get a scratch on the front, it might mean replacing it if it is over one of the three touch buttons on the front, as it may continuosly read that it is being "pressed", although the front is fairly scratchproof, and the only scratch on mine is from falling out of my car doing 100 on a crushed gravel road,
Old 11-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Spyder Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlandsrox
the only scratch on mine is from falling out of my car doing 100 on a crushed gravel road,
uhhh... i assume there's a story behind this?

but ya, the chocolate is a pretty "cool" phone. i have a phone made by samsung that's very simlar to the chocolate for quite a bit cheaper. i have no idea what it's called though.

of course, the iphone is always cool, but unlocking them is apparently a good way to turn them into pretty bricks. you're already on att, so that's not a problem, but the down-payment-on-a-car-sized price tag might be a turn off.

motorola has a blackberry-like phone that i've seen around. it's old enough that the price probably isn't super high anymore, but it's still cool and not outdated yet (except by the iphone) those blackberry thingys are kind of useless if you don't have a data plan, though.

big phones that do EVERYTHING are becoming popular, but the price tag is as big as the phone sometimes.

i'd say get the cheapest, smallest phone you can find. cell phones are supposed to be portable, and the do everything boxes some people are carrying around now are anything but. there's a tiny one that just came out. it's slightly larger than 2 clothespins side by side. but that's all i know about it. i don't even remember who makes it.

another really small one, the pantech c300, is a really small camera phone for cingular/att. $120. personally, i think that would be my choice

the cell phone market is confusing. good luck.