Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Shop Talk > Air Systems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Problem with leaky PE 68/3000

I just bought a slightly used PE 68/3000 fiber wrapped tank online that the fellow said had a blown burst disc. He said that it was the one in the nipple and that it was cause when he filled it. I figured that he ment the 5k one next to the nipple so I bought it figureing I would replace it no prob. If it would have be the 1.8disc then I probably would not have bought it because the reg might have been damaged. Anyway when it arrives I figure I'd just mack sure so I email him and he says that the air was coming out of the fill nipple and not the burst disc. Does this mean the valve is no good or could it be something else I can fix like say an O ring or something? Hopefully its not the valve because to buy a new one I would have been better off getting a new tank to start with.
Also on a side note I was wondering why my gauge goes up to 6000psi when my tank is only rated for 3000psi? This is my first hpa tank and I usually use Co2 when I'm not at the field. When at the field they supply the tank so never really thought of it before just knew they filled to about the 2 mark and you never worried about it till it dropped below 1.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Spyder Addict

Default Re: Problem with leaky PE 68/3000

Have you tested it at all to verify where the leak is coming out of? I had a leak on my PE at the fill nipple when I bought it NEW. I found out the leak was because the fill nipple wasn't tight enough. If it is the fill nipple, see where it is leaking first. If it is coming from anywhere but around it, you could try replacing the fill nipple....they aren't very expensive.

Dust black Dye DM7 w/ Virtue board, blue laser eyes, CP flow plug, CP rake trigger
Old 11-21-2007, 02:19 PM

Ok just got back from the shop. The air is leaking out through the opening of the nipple like it's stuck open a bit. Guy at store sold me a new nipple but that was like almost $20 after taxes. I'm not going to take the nipple out of the package incase it's something else so I can take it back. Problem is the store is on winter hours and is only open Wednesday evening and Saturday afternoon so I can't get it checked till Saturday to see if I fix the problem.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Finally!!!

Use soapy water or window cleaner and I'd exactly where the leak is coming from by the bubbles, if its the fill nipple (internal) is the leak, then bust open the package, thread tape 'er and put'er in. If its coming from around the nipple mount then remove the nipple, thread tape and re-mount the nipple, be careful not to over tighten or you can damage the reg by stripping the threads and if that happens your done.
Family Photo
My Feedback
Old 11-27-2007, 06:59 AM

Ok problem was the oring had blown out. I'm not real struck on the back check on the stock nipple as the oring just sits on the shaft up against the head of the back check. The oring on the 32degrees sits in its own grove which I think is better. I was going to install the the one that the shop sold me but it's not quite the same as the stock one. The 32degrees one that they sold me fits and threads into the hole ok but the back check is alot bigger around and sticks out the bottom of the nipple alot further plus it doesn't go the entire way to the top of the nipple like the stock one does. Should I still use the 32degrees one or return it and get a new oring for the stock one? Also when installing how tight should I tighten the nipple?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:36 AM

Well I searched on line and was told not to over tighten so that question is answered. Now just to find out if the 32 degree nipple will work.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Finally!!!

Sorry man hadn't checked back in a while, didn't mean to leave ya hanging...could you snap a pic of 32 degree nipple on the tank as your describing, sounds like everything should be fine, however it'd be nice to see it before I commit to telling you that.
Family Photo
My Feedback