Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2007, 02:54 PM

Respected, period.

Default Samsung UpStage any good?

My little sister is looking for a new phone and really likes the UpStage. Her concern is with the music player function. In order to purchase the phone she is thinking about selling her iPod Nano, but wants to make sure the music player is good. She has a couple friend who had the LG Chocolate phone and said the music player sucked. So she has to decide weather to sell her iPod and buy the UpStage now or keep the iPod, save a little longer and get the UpStage or a different phone.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 11-18-2007, 03:14 PM
^_^Leet Sauce^_^

Default Re: Samsung UpStage any good?

Keep the ipod!! the upstage is def not worth it...the upstage has nothing on an ipod...I can't really recommend a phone because everybody has different tastes but I love my envy because it has a full keyboard, good camera, and a nice music player.

From CNET:
The Samsung UpStage SPH-M620's battery isn't user-replaceable, and its tiny phone display isn't very useful. The flipping motion can also become tedious when used over time. Finally, the music player was somewhat buggy, and the single speaker had unimpressive output.
Kingman Tadao Board w/Upgrade
CP Reg/Adaptor/2k5 On/Off ASA
NDZ Clamping Feedneck
Polished Internals
Old 11-18-2007, 03:53 PM
In Heaven with the Goodie Goodies dressed in white

Voyager, nuff sed
Old 11-18-2007, 04:13 PM
THE GAME

get something that accepts SD mini/micro cards and get a 4gb card and hold all the music you want
Old 11-18-2007, 04:27 PM
I didn't do it...No witnesses survived

I work for Sprint, so, if you have any specific questions, feel free to pm or email me. The Samsung UpStage accepts MicroSD cards up to 4gb. The music player on it is good, not over-the-top-need-to-wipe-off-the-seat fantastic like the iPod is claimed to be, but it's good. A Music Manager program is also included to manage files. It will not read iTunes DRM protected files, but there are plenty of software programs that convert those to mp3, that shouldn't be a problem.

As far as that CNET review, as someone who used the phone for more than 30 seconds, I'll take them in order:
1. Battery not replaceable. First, neither is the iPods, so no one wins that one. Second, the average Sprint user replaces their phone every 18 months anyway, so it not being replaceable, again, is no big deal. With heavy music usage and text messaging, the phone, in the included wallet will last all day. If she wants to go out and be cool, she can take it out of the wallet and just carry the phone, and get 2 hours of talk time.
2. Tiny Display. The phone side display is only used for the phone menu and entering text, just about everything else is accessed from the music side.
3. Flipping motion being tedious. I disagree. I found that after 2-3 days, the flipping motion became second-nature. Granted, it would be nice if it was possible to choose which program starts on each side, but overall, you get used to it.
4. Music player being buggy. I've had the opportunity to use both pre-release and post-release models of the UpStage, I never had any problems with the music player. Like any consumer electronics, sometimes you get one that flakes out, that what exchange policies and manufacturer warrenties are for.
5. Unimpressive Speaker. Come on, seriously. Who is going to listen to their music on a 16mm speaker?

So, all-in-all, it really comes down to personal preference. If she does get it, let me know, I've got a dongle that will let her charge the handset and run speakers/headphones at the same time that I can send you (the phone, stock, has one port that does both).

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to
go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will"
Ronald Reagan
Old 11-18-2007, 05:36 PM

Respected, period.

I know nothing about it, it has headphone jacks, right? If it does you can't really compare it's speaker sound quality to that of an iPod because the iPod has no speaker at all.

I just bought the LG Rumor, like today, so I don't know much about it yet and haven't had a chance to play with it. Critical if you had to pick between the Rumor and the UpStage, which one would you pick. She kind of likes the Rumor as well (I got the black so she could get the white one and we wouldn't confuse them) so she is considering that too.

KUSA Feedback

Shunut Creations
Old 11-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Gun Whore Extraodinair......113 And Counting

Let me know what you think about the rumor phone, I am looking to pick one up soon.

Back to gun whoring.....

armedfuture (8:12:32 PM): I'm a big angel
paintball6684 (8:16:09 PM): more like out of control, raging ginger
armedfuture (8:16:40 PM): noooooooo...........
Old 11-19-2007, 09:34 AM
RaWr

The nokia 5200 is a solid music phone a guy on our team has one and I must say that it has the loudest clearest speaker of any phone I have ever heard, and it accepts headphones. they come in a few colors too
"If society is tranquil, it is not because it is conscious of its strength and its well-being, but because it fears its weakness and its infirmities; a single effort may cost it its life. Everyone feels the evil, but no one has courage or energy enough to seek the cure."
Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 AM

Respected, period.

I'll have to check and see if the Nokia is available through Sprint.

Taco, so far I like the phone. For having a slide out keyboard it is very small and light weight. Using it is easy so far but I haven't had a chance to test out the Multi Media functions. I have to get a microSD card and a cord so I can attach it to my computer. I will let you know though.

KUSA Feedback

Shunut Creations
Old 11-19-2007, 04:18 PM
I didn't do it...No witnesses survived

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was at the office today and they block web forums.

As far as the Rumor, I like it. I wish it had EV-DO data speed instead of 1x (think good DSL instead of dial-up). Other than that, It's got a solid, simple interface, a music player that does the job, is great for texting, has one touch social-network access (although why you'd want it, I don't know, and, with dial-up speed, what's the point), a 1.3mp camera that is okay, if simple, and supports up to 4gb MicroSD cards.

The UpStage does not have a headphone jack, you're stuck with using their crappy included special connector headphones.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to
go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will"
Ronald Reagan