Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
THE GAME

Default The. RIAA.

The Recording Industry Association of America.

The association that has been tossing around DRMS (Digital Rights Management Systems) on our music, and setting precedence for the same on everything digital, has recently been pushing Congress to make a law, that if enacted would force Public Universities to MONITOR, a.k.a. SPY on students and REPORT any who are illegally downloading music. Under the bill they are pushing, if universities refused, no federal funding or financial aid would be given to their institution or their students. Seriously, I'm curious to see the other side of this... does anybody LIKE them? Discuss.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

Default Re: The. RIAA.

hm, i thought schools already monitored illegal downloading? or was that just a "if we catch you, you're out" thing? i dont see how that stops a lot of downloading. what about all those people that live off-campus? my friend lives in an apartment complex full of college kids right outside the Georgia Southern campus, so the school would have no right to monitor them.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 11-16-2007, 05:33 PM
THE GAME

this would require the school to turn them in, to the riaa, so that the riaa could sue the kid. So basically the RIAA can say "hey, we have illegal DL traffic coming from you on a planted torrent, turn in whoever did it" and the university will have to, or it will lose funding. It's basically the RIAA trying to get around subpoena regulations, so that suing kids is easier.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:36 PM
wat

I for one find it RIDICULOUS to think that a PRIVATE ORGANIZATION, the RIAA, would threaten other private and public institutions with that kind of threat. I would hope that Congress is not dumb enough to fall for the well being of musicians over the well being of students.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:44 PM
THE GAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrell
I for one find it RIDICULOUS to think that a PRIVATE ORGANIZATION, the RIAA, would threaten other private and public institutions with that kind of threat. I would hope that Congress is not dumb enough to fall for the well being of musicians over the well being of students.
The RIAA and MPAA have always been horrible associations in my mind. I'm pretty much against hard capitalism, and the RIAA and MPAA are just the epitome of corporations that provide NOTHING, but would be glad to sue you, tell you how to run your business, take your money, and then bully your government. I firmly believe that these associations are some of the most oppressive institutions that go unnoticed by most people.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler
I'm pretty much against hard capitalism, and the RIAA and MPAA are just the epitome of corporations that provide NOTHING, but would be glad to sue you, tell you how to run your business, take your money, and then bully your government.
sounds kind of like smart parts...
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 11-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Spyder Addict

College students of all things... the brokest of broke people, what are they planning on getting in sueing them, all 15 dollars they have? if there gonna be all were gonna catch you like that, why not do it to at least somewhere were the poeple have money, the college kids need music to listen to and relax after a long day of classes, and if they have no money how do they buy cd's? and if someone downloads a song, chances are there gonna like it, and want the other music on hte same cd, meaning they are gonna want too go buy the cd, so its actually better for the RIAA
Old 11-16-2007, 08:29 PM
wat

The interesting thing to me is that studies have proven that file-sharing has helped them as much, if not more, than it has hurt them. But they refuse to believe it.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:10 AM
THE GAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper
sounds kind of like smart parts...
No the only similarity is smart parts is protecting what they own by suing, but here are the differences:

Smart Parts isn't suing the consumer.
Smart Parts isn't telling you how many times you can use your ion.
Smart parts isn't selling 3minutes of noise for the same price as a pack of gum.
Smart Parts isn't bullying congress, or IMO anybody, but if you're one of "those" people, then you might consider them bullying companies.
If you fall in the above category: Smart Parts isn't bullying students who are mid-education.

The RIAA KNOWS suing a kid in college can seriously **** up his plans for his life, and thats why they are targeting there... because now, if you "steal" (or even download a song you already bough, assuming fair use) the RIAA will kick your door down, sue you and then make sure you get kicked out so that when you do finish paying 15k for "crank that" you no longer have a college on your resume, which statistically is attributed to higher salaries and "better" jobs.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:18 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Disclaimer - this is not an argument on my behalf for or against either side...

I'm kind of torn on the issue, myself. I don't think it's a good they are doing, but I also play the old man part here. Isn't this sort of thing illegal in the first place? I mean, if it is, then couldn't the college or university, that provides the servers for on campus computers, be in trouble for harboring illegal activities?

I realize the argument for free file sharing, so let's not drag that up, but I look at this much like the illegal alien issue right now. Sure, they do a lot of good for us, but they are still illegal and until the law chnges, that's that. Wouldn't this issue be the same? As far as the college students being broke in the first place, well, that's a non issue since they (and I believe high school students) are the biggest users of torrents and those type of things. Take it a step further and say, "The Mexicans are poor so let's just let them in anyways."

I won't admit whether I have or haven't "shared" files. You never know who's watching, haha! But, in arguements such as these, I've noticed that usually the main complaints is that it interferes with an individuals so called "rights" and that it inconveniences them. So? We tend to forget that companies have rights, and that they also have the clout to do what they want...right or wrong.

As far as Congress doing something about it, they might just do that. After all, it's the special interest groups that run the country anymore and everyone knows it. If Congress sees something for themselves in there, it WILL pass.