Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm to drunk, to taste this chicken

Default San diego fires

Morning Edition, October 29, 2007
A week after wildfires in southern California force a quarter-million residents to flee their homes, critics complain that mass evacuations were only necessary because San Diego's fire response wasn't up to the challenge. The fires are now largely under control.

Winds Could Revive California Fires
As firefighters look close to bringing a week of devastating fires under control in Southern California, forecasters are warning there's a chance that moderate winds could return in the next week to whip up the blazes.

Because of that, one fire official said "it's a little premature to be celebrating." He said officials hope to control all the fires within a week, but that fierce, dry winds could send fire crews "off to the races again."

More than a dozen fires are now fully surrounded and seven other blazes are between 50 and 97 percent contained.

Abc News Video

Damp Weather Helps California Firefighters Battle Blazes
Monday, October 29, 2007

SAN DIEGO — A week after the start of the Southern California wildfires that chased a half-million people from their homes, firefighters were aided by a return of damp weather Monday — but they were aware strong Santa Ana wind could redevelop by week's end.

The state Office of Emergency Services damage tally rose Monday to 2,786 buildings destroyed, including more than 2,000 homes.

Clouds streamed inland from the Pacific on Monday and meteorologists predicted areas of drizzle and light showers through Wednesday morning.

Fire crews were already benefiting from precipitation in some areas, said Daniel Berlant, a spokesman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. "We continue to make great progress," he said.

The 58,401-acre Ranch Fire northwest of Los Angeles in Ventura County was fully contained during the night and crews were pushing to complete lines around six other big blazes.

However, there was a chance of moderate Santa Ana wind — the strong, dry gusts that fanned the flames last week — returning by Friday, the National Weather Service said. The winds wouldn't be as strong as last week, but wouldn't be weak either, the forecast said.

I was wondering about how many of you guys are close to any of these?
Trinity Front Block
Bob Long Gauge

Spyder Fasta
18V LED
Crossfire 68/4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
Have a girl answer the phone sounding all hot and sweaty.

Last edited by Paintballadict18 : 10-30-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Here, there, everywhere!

Default Re: San diego fires

My mother lives in Rancho Bernado. She has been evacuated since last Tuesday...
Although her home is still standing, her neighborhood is devastated. The fires, spread by hot 50mph winds, were absolutly unstoppable. If you have ever been to San Diego, ( I grewup there, and my entire family still lives there) it is all a desert. The hills are all scrub brush. Even without the winds, it is hard to get a wildfire under control...with the Santa Ana winds blowing strong, these fires can move at 30mph and no fire fighting team is going to do much to stop them no mater how well prepaired.
Many, many homes and people were saved by the efforts of the fire and rescue teams envolved. It is assinine to think that there response was anything less that heroic.
Member #12

"Your marker cannot harm me...I'm the Juggernaut!!"
KUSA Feedback +56/-0
New PBN Feedback +20/-0
Old PBN Feedback +92/-0
Old 10-30-2007, 05:09 PM

Glad to hear shes alright and her house too, thats depressing to see all that beautifull land go to rubbel im srry to hear it, we just moved into a new home and the people who sold it to us moved to san diego and i keep telling my mom to contact them to see if there alright but she always forgets, and like u said about the firefighters/rescue teams i think there doing a good job espiecially with all the obstacles in there way
Trinity Front Block
Bob Long Gauge

Spyder Fasta
18V LED
Crossfire 68/4500

Quote:
Old 11-10-2007, 10:21 AM

this is looking out the front window of my condo during the fire, just got back here 2 days ago because the smoke was so bad.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Banned

Sucks.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:16 PM

wow thats scary
Trinity Front Block
Bob Long Gauge

Spyder Fasta
18V LED
Crossfire 68/4500

Quote: