Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Shop Talk > Custom Shop
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

Lightbulb Spyder marker stand (56K death)!!

Ok, so a few nights ago i had a stroke of genius. i was up for an hour and a half writing measurements and dimensions down and double (and triple!) checking my math. the next day i went into paint and made a model out of Legos and this is what i came up with:

looks pretty simple, right? well, i was using scrap pieces of wood that were being used as shelves in our storage shed before we moved in instead of wasting money and buying brand new wood. I cut out the pieces with no problems. when i got to the final piece (the base board) the jig saw blade popped off right as i finished cutting it. then i took out the dremel (hey, it wouldnt be a spyder project without a dremel, right??) cut off the excess wood and splinters, and sanded the blocks for the mounts down so the edges were smooth. when i went to drill the screws in to mount the blocks together, the wood split because it was too soft. i went back this morning and grabbed the scrap wood that i had used for the base (which is basically 3/4" thick particle board) and re-measured, re-cut, re-dremeled, and re-sanded. same thing happened again, the wood split right down the middle. so i gave up because i had to go to school, but i knew what i had to do: use metal brackets. luckily, my parents had to go to wal-mart anyway, and i found what i was looking for: straight metal braces. I bent those into square U shapes that fit perfectly around the frame and barrel, and voila!:

as you can see, it fits e-frames and mech frames, and should fit almost any barrel and drop.

and this is what it looks like in my room:

its not as good as i had hoped, but the main reason i did this was to prove myself it could be done, and i had a big open area in my room where i wanted to display my gun. the next thing im going to buy is the felt with the sticky backing to put on the brackets and keep the barrel and frame from scratching.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 09-12-2007, 06:13 PM
EM1 Tech guy

Default Re: Spyder marker stand (56K death)!!

Very nice!!

I had my EM1 hanging from the ceiling with fishing wire once.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

lol, i used to have my imagine haging from under my bunk bed (above my desk) with parachute cord.
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 AM
New Guy

Very nice! I may do something like that, but I'm not sure where I would put it. I mean, I'd put it on my mantle and proudly display it, but between TV mounted on the wall above the mantle (which leaves me with no center space), my kids who would constantly be trying to get it down, and my wife who I'm certain would not be keen on me junking up her decor with my paintball stuff, that pretty much rules that out. maybe I can take that design, and modify it for wall mounting, maybe make it on a board big enough to hold a couple of them (for when I get another gun)