Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Finally! A special name!!

Default New car

If you guys remember my Accord I posted a week and a half ago... Yeah... Totalled... So that means... New car!!! I looked for a while for something that would be fun, relatively inexpensive, and insurable and finally decided on a ~2001 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition with 5 speed manual transmission... I test drove one today and it was a BLAST... It's a really small car, and fits me like a glove... The handling was SUPER tight, and the 1.8T engine had more than enough power to really get me going... The best part? I can pick one up for about $9k... I'll be getting it sometime in the next week or so... I'll post pics when I do... And Chris, leave me alone
Old 02-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Matrix Connoisseur

Default Re: New car

no offense, but... meh
Old 02-05-2006, 06:59 PM

...no offense taken... If you drive one, I have a feeling you might change your mind... They really are fun little cars, and really small... Sensitive steering, small size, and good power/weight ratio = easy weaving on the highway... The turbo in it keeps the powerband really wide; you it peaks at ~1900 rpms and doesn't start falling until about 4500 rpms... In other words, you're getting very nice acceleration through almost the whole gear... The turbo spools up really quick; very little noticable lag... The gearing is fairly close, so transition from gear to gear is like butter... For my style of driving, it suits me perfectly... It's agile enough to do whatever maneuvering I need, while not so powerful that I'm tempted to do stupid stuff with it, ie. race... Plus, the insurance for it doesn't break the bank... Basically the best of all worlds for me... Bit of a chick car? Sorta... The 2001's aren't as bad in that area as the new ones, but yeah... I honestly don't care what I look like, as long as I'm comfortable driving it... I've had to drive a VW Bug around for a month before, and I'm driving a gold minivan around right now, so the Jetta will be really nice... Again, if you go out and test drive a Jetta, you definitely may change your mind...
Old 02-05-2006, 07:31 PM
myspace.com/redlantern

How was it totalled?
Old 02-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Forget Sexy, I'm Back.

original thread - http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=1052

you better love what you do or there is no use doing it.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:54 PM
wat

I've seen some quick Jettas..not my favorites, but a good deal and not the worst ricer you could buy..
Old 02-05-2006, 10:40 PM

Farfhunuggan! Volkswagon makes some good sedans but they cantendto run higher on insurnce cost. Jettas are up on the thievery list I guess.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:16 AM
Let's hit the Bar, Drinks on Me!

my sister has a 2k1 jetta gls...its nice, but that 2.0 in that thing sucks big time...it seemed to not really want to open up when i put the pedal to the floor...

EDIT: where is a good place to host vids...i video'd myself OWNING a Cavy 2.2 Ecotech this weekend...plus i have some vids of "fly-bys" i've done to corvettes and impala ss's

"I offered my honor, She honored my offer, And all night long, It was honor and offer."

http://www.myspace.com/nastonius---Facebook me!
EVO ESP'd Victor modded out
2k3 zeroB'd E-Bladed cocker modded out
Old 02-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

not a big VW fan, but ive kinda grown used to that kind of jetta, theres a nice one in the neighborhood here, its dark blue with a spoiler, but its got a mini-fart can on it...
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 02-06-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyroper2003
my sister has a 2k1 jetta gls...its nice, but that 2.0 in that thing sucks big time...it seemed to not really want to open up when i put the pedal to the floor...
Automatic Jetta's are tuned for a super comfy ride, not quick... With a manual transmission + 2.0L, the gearing is better, with small enough a first gear to get you moving quick enough... I'll probably be getting the 1.8L Turbo, though, which has a MASSIVE powerband... You get through most of the gear near peak torque... I might even look into the 2.6L V6... It all depends... I'll more likely get the 1.8L Turbo, though, because I want a leather interior, so I'll probably be getting a Wolfsburg edition... Which means 1.8L Turbo... It's freaking zippy, no joke -- it's small and fairly light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper
not a big VW fan, but ive kinda grown used to that kind of jetta, theres a nice one in the neighborhood here, its dark blue with a spoiler, but its got a mini-fart can on it...
Definitely won't go that route... I might do some work on it, and may have a spoiler on it, but if I upgrade the exhaust, it's going to be for a quieter one... Lol I was thinking about getting a 240SX, SR20DET'ing it, doing some major work, but keeping a stock exterior for a sweet sleeper, but I need something that's going to get me through the next ~6 years reliably without costing me too much... That said, I could have a mad sweet 240SX for the amount I'm paying for the Jetta, but... Reliability FTW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon by Fire
Farfhunuggan! Volkswagon makes some good sedans but they cantendto run higher on insurnce cost. Jettas are up on the thievery list I guess.
I LOL'd at the first part... Insurance is going to be a little much, but not unmanageable... Keep in mind that I'm 17... lol It'll be around $2.6k a year, but yeah... That'll go down each year, and when I'm 22, I'll get a big break, and when I'm 25, I'll hopefully be down to ~$1k a year regardless of what I'm driving... I live in a VERY low crime area... For college, I might have to worry about it a bit, as I'll probably be in downtown Atl, but I'll probably live out of the city, more around where I am now... But I dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrell
I've seen some quick Jettas..not my favorites, but a good deal and not the worst ricer you could buy..
...Jetta's are Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubb0rz
Don't remind me...

Last edited by *EM1-Master* : 02-10-2006 at 04:12 AM.