Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Take me to the place I love, Take me all the way.

Default Ram Question

ok, well i have 128mb of RAM and Adobe PS kicks its ass hardcore, so i really need to upgrade my RAM. i have PC133 SDRAM 168-Pin, and 3.3V. i can go no bigger than 512mb RAM cause thats all the computer will read. and i was wondering if the upgrade will be basically plug and play? as in: open up case, remove old ram, install new ram, close case, power on computer and be good to go. or do i need to do something special w/ it to work? Is the any brands i should stay away from or stick to? lastly what makes brand A $120 then brand B $60?? thank you, if it helps comp is a Dell Dimension 4300S. Thanx

Oaktown Trucks

Kinetik Kustomz

Old 02-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Banned

Default Re: Ram Question

aight as for the plug and play yes. u will eb able tot ake out the old ram and put in the new ram and boot up just fine. as for the brand 1 and brand b. corsair is a very good brand and so is kingston. but corsair might be a better high performance ram as in u can overclock it higher and kingston is a good value ram but its not very good at overclocking. if u got any other questions about computers hit me up. ive built 4 computers. and yes im 14
Old 02-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Take me to the place I love, Take me all the way.

question answered thank you

Oaktown Trucks

Kinetik Kustomz

Old 02-03-2006, 07:11 PM
Matrix Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by covert24
aight as for the plug and play yes. u will eb able tot ake out the old ram and put in the new ram and boot up just fine. as for the brand 1 and brand b. corsair is a very good brand and so is kingston. but corsair might be a better high performance ram as in u can overclock it higher and kingston is a good value ram but its not very good at overclocking. if u got any other questions about computers hit me up. ive built 4 computers. and yes im 14
i dont understand why you would want to overclock your ram. hardware is set up so it will run best from the factory, overclocking just runs the risk of damage, overheating, etc, especially if you dont have a good power supply.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:17 PM
myspace.com/redlantern

Why would want to risk having your comp. crashing in the middle of something?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Banned

lol u guys need to kno a lil abolut computers before u bash overclocking. overclocking can be done with a sgnificant benefiet of ur computer. sure it might run a lil hot but thats wut fans and water cooling is for. if u have the right processoer with a good core then u can oc it past 100% of the original ghz. i overclock mine. cause im a PIMP. by the way i have a X-Connect 500w PSU. Tyvm
Old 02-04-2006, 05:51 AM
Finally! A special name!!

Yeah, overclocking can be well worth it, especially with older stuff... You generally want to overclock RAM when you increase the FSB on the processor, to keep a good ratio, preferably 1:1... Back in the days of the OLD Pentiums and Celerons, techie crowds generally went with the Celerons, because even though they were slower, they were cheaper and could EASILY be overclocked to perform on par with or faster than the Pentium... Overclocking can be a bragging right, but it can also be a way to get more value out of your stuff...

As for crashing in the middle of something... As long as you've got decent cooling, and don't try anything too crazy, you can get a very decent increase... Even with stock cooling, a lot of times, especially with AMD processors, you can often get a 25%+ performance increase...
Old 02-04-2006, 05:55 AM
Banned

yea lol back in the day (when i was 10) my dad got me this computer and i jsut started messing around with it. the old computers had dip switches all over the motherboard that if u put them in the right place and in the right order they would overclock your cpu. now everything thing is built into the motherboard and u can do it from the bios. yea i currently have a A64 3000+(1.8ghz) socket 939 winchester core. i had it oced to about 2.7ghz. it was CrAzY fast. then i had to get a new fan and heatsink for it cause the other one was a piece. i know have a thermaltake 92mm fan on a XP-90 Hs. i got all da goodies.