Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2006, 03:44 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default Paintball Arguments

We had this thread in the old forum, and I thought it was a good one. For the new guys coming on here, they can see some of the "discussions" going on about paintball and make a good choice based on reasonable debates regarding different "hot" subjects in paintball.

Now, let's keep this to a DEBATE style, not an attack and flame style!

First topic:

Ramping (within set limits) in events or at fields that allow it and everyone has the opportunity to use it.

Begin and enjoy!
Old 02-03-2006, 04:20 AM
I wanna be formal but I'm here to party!

Default Re: Paintball Arguments

Ramping as long as it's controlled I don't mind. I do like the psp rules to cap it at 15 bps. I really don't think it should be in recball though unless you are going against people of equal experience that are ramping also! I wouldn't mind sometime going out and playing with my ramping on PSP setting's but I guess it really doesn't matter as my timmy shoot's fast enough as it is so I dunno!

My local field put a stop to it because they found out that there insurance doesn't cover it and they would have to pay a lot more in order to have it covered! That was also the heated debate on two regional tourney series in IN/KY (ICC and CTS) as the promoter's would have to buy extra insurance to have psp setting's and from what I understood it's a lot!

JB.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:11 AM
wat

As long as ramping is kept at PSP level and chronoed in, I like playing with it. Most people can pull 15BPS on semi anyway..what difference does it make if it's a bit easier? I like using ramping..
Old 02-03-2006, 06:02 AM
Doing the Time Warp Again

My own thought is that ramping should never have been allowed in the first place, and all the teams and players that were illegally using ramping boards should have been heavily fined and banned from tournement play until the fines were paid.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:06 AM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

i think ramping shouldnt be allowed, because then the game wouldnt be as skill-based because everyone is shooting 15bps (by PSP rules), so you have a slow team shooting at 15 instead of 10 or whatever and a fast team shooting at 15 instead of 18 or so. sure, it makes the game more equal, but if you havent figured it out yet, life aint fair!
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 02-03-2006, 06:27 AM
Don't make me get my Dremel.

ramping is ok in tourneys, i think they did this not to win or make it more easy for the weak team to win but to make for good entertainment. Remember paintball is trying to capture the mainstream media...and a bunch of guys hiding around shooting slow isn't that exciting compared to both teams shooting 15 bps continously.

ramping in recbll is a totally different matter...IMO it shouldn't be allowed, because there are alot of new players and most of them aren't ued to being bonus balled with 15 bps.

Super Duper Feedback
Old 02-03-2006, 08:06 AM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

Ramping you say? Makes the little guys feel like they have the skills of the big boys. Keeps the unskilled where they're at because why work at something like walking, raking or twitching, ect, the trigger when you can have full auto at the touch of a button and rationalize it with a cool name like 'RAMPING'? If you say it's not full auto, you're in a technical state of denial. Now all of the people that wanted to be cool by saying full auto is bad but really wanted to use it have an excuse to shoot full auto. I don't really mind if other players use it or full auto, modes, ect, for that matter. It just helps me to develop my skills by being at a slight disadvantage since I don't need to use any of that. All of the fields I used in Michigan allowed everything anyways so I'm used to it -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 02-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Ok, my opinion time...

I'm all for ramping at tournaments that allow ramping. In a tournament, you expect the other players to be at the same level as you as far as equipment goes, so ramping wouldn't be an issue for anyone in that division. What happens then is that people suddenly STOP worrying about your finger speed, and start thinking strategy.

I've mentioned that there is no TRUE semi anymore (in electric guns and mechs, not pump!!!) with people tweaking their microswitches, getting special triggers, setting those triggers at different areas in the frames all to get the fastest trigger speed. All ramping breaks down to is adding shots per pull. It's been proven that even in "semi", with triggers set up to get the maximum amount of speed possible, it adds shots. Most people can't hear or notice them because it's much more subtle, but it does. So people who are too lazy to learn to walk fast isn't a good arguement for me. Also, personally, I never really thought of walking the trigger fast as a "skill." Shooting accurately, knowing where and when to move, etc. are skills. Walking a trigger super fast is a circus act, IMHO...something you TRAIN your fingers to do.

Ramping in rec - NO WAY. Uh uh. Not fair - UNLESS you are playing fellow tournament ballers only, and everyone agrees to it.

Ok, next topic since this one died down much faster than I thought. (Feel free to add to it though!!!)

Speedball versus Woodsball. Which is better? (Hahahaha! Loaded question!!!

Debate on, and keep it civil! And give reasons for your opinion!
Old 02-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Fluent in Stroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper
i think ramping shouldnt be allowed, because then the game wouldnt be as skill-based because everyone is shooting 15bps (by PSP rules), so you have a slow team shooting at 15 instead of 10 or whatever and a fast team shooting at 15 instead of 18 or so. sure, it makes the game more equal, but if you havent figured it out yet, life aint fair!
i think ramping keeps games MORE skill based. makes it a level playing field in terms of shooting speed, which makes the players have to move faster, tighter, and more accurate. how does not allowing ramping make it equal? without it, players shoot differant speeds. the team that can shoot faster has a better chance of getting an opposing player out just because of the sheer amout of paint in the air. ramping gives each team an equal chance.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Matrix Connoisseur

well, i believe ramping should be allowed. its the best anti-cheating tool available right now. 15 bps is 15 bps, theres no way to change that. without ramping, you can get a cheater board/chip and gain a huge advatage over your competition, without any easy way to catch you. many teams have cheated in tournaments without being caught, and if theres a 15 bps cap nobody is cheating. also, by making ramping legal, there isnt a whole lot teams can do to cheat anymore. if all the old styles of cheating are legal, and everybody can use them, theres no way to cheat. in semi auto, theres many ways to cheat.

sure its a drawback if you can shoot faster than 15 bps on semi (which i can, i can shoot about 17), but just suck it up, and learn to shoot accurately instead of accuracy by volume.