Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2006, 03:06 PM
New Guy

Default What's your reason?

What's your reason for not drinking?

Today I was in class talking to some chicks that I talk to every day because I'm a guy and that's what we do. Well, come to find out they are going to Winter/ Valentines ball with guys I wouldn't consider all too great. In fact, the guys are planning on getting drunk on the date (but not the chicks). I asked why the chicks didn't tell them no and they said it would probably be more fun with them drunk. So yeah, this has been on my mind a lot lately wondering why I am the way I am. I knew why once but now I'm not so sure. And it's not just drinking, it's just not doing things like that in general. Sorry if that was long but I was just wondering your thoughts on it.

Edit: ha i think my internet filter blocked some words in there, you should be able to figure it out.

Last edited by Blayde : 02-01-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:18 PM
still wants a green name

Default Re: What's your reason?

I dont drink for many reasons:

1. Nothing positive is gained in the long term, sure it might make you have more fun for a couple hours, but I'd rather have a healthy liver for life.

2. My brother's friends had (have... probably) some drinking problems. One of them had to get his stomach pumped twice in the same month and that doesn't seem too appealing.

3. I can have plenty of fun without alcohol. All you need is some good friends and a good sense of humor and maybe some good music, bam, instant party.

4. I think I have enough of a future to look forward to that I dont need a criminal record for possesion, consumption, or transporting alcohol at an illegal age.

I hope that I can stay drug and substance free as long as I live because nothing positive is really gained, just negatives like :

1. Loss of money
2. Loss of health
3. Loss of innocence (what little we have left anyways)
4. Loss of true friends

I just dont really have a need or desire to do drugs....
Old 02-01-2006, 03:59 PM
That's my baby brother.

I dont drink for many reasons also:

1. I'm 12.

2. And i dont do that kind of stuff.

3. And im always on KUSA. so i ahve no time to drink.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:05 PM
RaWr

Good thread.

I do drink but not to get drunk, I have maybe 1 beer after work and thats it...

But my reasons for not getting smashed are...

1. I prefer to DD can have fun without TEH BOOZE
2. I enjoy my hobbies too much to waste a weekend on a hangover
3. Makyla
4. Shanna
5. Steph
(in no specific order)
When you are getting drunk you are not thinking of anyone besides yourself.
"If society is tranquil, it is not because it is conscious of its strength and its well-being, but because it fears its weakness and its infirmities; a single effort may cost it its life. Everyone feels the evil, but no one has courage or energy enough to seek the cure."
Old 02-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Matrix Connoisseur

...for the same reason i dont do other drugs.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Fluent in Stroll

trouble, staying in control of my actions, taste, makes me look better

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

I didn't drink at all in high school because I was trying to make it into professional baseball. I was on my way, until my senior year coach (he was 1st year, and we butted heads like crazy) screwed me over with college recruiters. As such, I didn't get the scholarship to play in college that I had been told I would get. I still played in college for awhile, but gave it up when I weighed working, studying AND playing baseball against just working and studying and enjoying my college years.

I took my first drink my freshman year, and after that, kinda went downhill. I was living in the dorm where there were a lot of parties going on ALL the time. This was during the mid to late 80's - WAY before the anti drinking and anti-drug programs came out. I entered fraternity life my sophomore year, and by my senior year, I would hazard to say, I was drinking probabaly 5 out of the 7 nights of a week, and during the summer, 6 out of 7.

What FINALLY woke me up was in my senior year, we had an exit party at my fraternity for all the members who pledged when I did and were graduating that year. I looked around and out of a class of 25, 7 were missing. One had been drinking with some friends right after we were accepted, got in a car wreck and is living his life as a straight up vegetable, along with 2 of the girls that were in the car he was driving. The 3 were the only ones to live (there were 5 in the car.) 1 had moved away, and the rest had died due to drinking and driving accidents. If you figure the odds, that's WAY high and I, being a reasonably intelligient man, calcualted the odds of me living if I continued that route.

Don't get me wrong! I was reasonably intelligient, but I had a whole year to go with the same people I constantly drank with! I didn't stop, but I changed a lot of rules for myself and my friends. NO ONE was allowed to drive anymore if they'd been drinking at one of my parties, NO ONE left without a designated driver (meaning they spent the night if they didn't have one - especially handy with female party goer's, if you know what I mean!) and no one under the age of 18 was allowed in our parties anymore. I was an officer in the fraternity and made a lot of sense, so everyone agreed with me to a point.

As soon as I graduated, I attended ANOTHER funeral - this time for my best friend in college who was with a group of guys in a convertible and all of whom had done some kind of drugs and were drinking and took a turn at WAY too high a speed. They couldn't even have an open coffin at the funeral, it was that bad. I IMMEDIATELY quit, and haven't had more than a drink or two at a time in the last 17 years. (Oh, I also stopped smoking at the same time. Got a two-fer!)

My reasons? (Other than it scared the heck outta me!)

1. Life is TOO precious to waste on something that is a crutch and not all that fun, to tell the truth.

2. It's too DANG expensive.

3. Health reasons - as in I wanted my liver and kidneys to be around when I'm in my 90's, or 80's or 70's or....you get the point.

4. My parents. Try going to 6 funerals and watch 6 sets of parents wailing, "Why?" This wasn't going to happen to my parents.

5. My wife and kids. They are WAY too important for me to waste money and my life on something as cheap and worthless as alcohol.

Nuff said. Just let me say this one last thing. If you start, and you hang with a bunch of people who HAVE to drink to have fun, it's next to impossible to quit without removing yourself completely from that scene. Trust me, it's easier to NEVER start, than it is to quit and still be friends with them all.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Formerly Dunkler Engel

I acually dn't because its illegal, I would say my religin but Ive been doubting a little, when I am 21 I will probably drink and get trashed once ina while but I plan on being smart about it because my friends are alcoholics right now and I see what it does to them, and one of my firends brother got arrested for DWI and it stoopped him in his tracks.

Feedback

My DeviantArt page
Old 02-01-2006, 05:32 PM
I wanna be formal but I'm here to party!

First off.. I drink occasionally and responsibly! I do love my margarita's and occasional beer at the bonfire but I wouldn't even consider it a once a month thing! So anyway my reason's to keep it in moderation.....

It's not healthy!
Worse caloric intake you can think of!
Liver, kidney's etc. etc.
obesity

K here's one of the bigger reason's.

Had the same girlfriend in my last two year's of high school. Father was an alcoholic and diabetic. Basically was tearing the family apart. He was going blind and the doctor told him that if he didn't quit drinking he would go bind due to the diabetes. Did he quit. No. He's not blind yet but the last time I went over to there house I pulled up the garage door was open to an empty garage except for him sitting at a card table by himself no other chair's around nothing. He just's sit's there and drink's cause he's too ashamed of himself to drink inside in front of his family! That's a road I don't want to go down!

My grandmother had to bury one of her son's because he was an alcoholic and didn't take care of himself. My parent's don't need to do the same thing!

My uncle is an alcoholic in his late 60's and can hardly walk. The toll on his body has just put him in such a weakened state it's just sad!

Alcohol isn't bad as long as you are responsible with it but so many people let it get out of hand!

JB.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:58 PM
still wants a green name

Oh, by the way, good thread