Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Member Reviews
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2007, 07:23 PM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

Exclamation DRAGON's Virtue Experience........

PART I

Well I got this board a few weeks ago but have so crazy busy haven't had any real time to even see how it works lol. When I got it basically my whole marker was completelty apart since I was just about to send it to ano to rid it of that hideous silver color(that's just my opinion though) I was forced into buying -

I started on this a couple weeks ago and basically got the eyes and the board put in. Being the perfectionist that I am, I decided I wanted to twist and wrap the eye wires similar to the stock eye wires since they were loose and pretty danged long. I'd like to have put shrink tubing on them but sice they're already assembled, that was an impossibility. I resorted to twisting the thin(looks like about 28 gauge) wires together and wraping them with a sticky type cloth electrical tape. Twisting the wires keeps them together and shortens the whole harness a little. I only wrapped them to the point to where they go into the eye wire channels in the VS2 body -

This is what I ended up with in the eye area of the body.........

I used a little bit of tape over the channel to keep them in place so not to crush the wires when putting it all back together..........

This is what it looked like after attaching the body to the trigger frame before plugging everything into the board.........

This shows the routing I chose and what plugs go where on the VS2...........

One thing I didn't like about the instructions was there was no pic of the board illustrating which plugs go where. I have three empty plugs in the board. One is obviously for the IPI, ESP and CAMD e-frames. What the others are for, I have no idea. Mabe I'll find out when I read the whole lengthy manual -

When I looked at the position of the recharging plug compared to the hole in the e-frame I kind of freaked out because it was a bit off. I was imagining that I would need to remove the battery every time I wanted to charge it. Once I tried to plug the charger end into the receptacle, it barely made it. I suppose it's in that spot on the board so it will be chargable with other Spyder's as well. Here's a pic of what I mean..........

I was going to go through some of the modes and all but as usual, the battery was completely discharged. Don't know what it is with the newer Spyder boards but they discharge the batteries expeditiously even when turned off -

I'm charging the battery right now and still need to put the rest of the VS together to see the final results of all this, so this will be the first entry of this review. I will be adding more info soon as I can fit it into my busy-ness lol. . The instructions for the functions are very lengthy. Certainly not for the literary handicapped lol. I will add more info when I get it charged going through the modes and all dry firing. Then another entry after I put some paint through it which I cannot do at home -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 04-23-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: DRAGON's Virtue Experience........

PART II

Charged it for about an hour last night on my car quick charger and nothing. I'm like oh no, the charging port is screwed up on this thing. Worked just fine w/a regular 9v so I dug an extra 9.6V Java that I have out tonight and it charged up just fine. Seems I left it on the charger too long last time and fried the new VS battery. Well duh me

So I assembled everything tonight and tried the default semi and this thing frikin rips! For some reason when I was testing it w/o the internals, I'd stick my finger in front of the eyes and when I'd shoot it would only do about 5bps with the eyes turned on. I suppose I'll have to change the default settings. I have the trigger set real close to the micro-switch and it was bouncing a little when I had the eyes off, aired up. Since it has a debounce setting, I can take care of that no prob. Too late to tinker any longer tonight. I'll go through the settings and get it right some time in the near future. For now......IT HAS RED LAAAAAAAASSSEERR EYES!!!!!! -

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON
PART II
For some reason when I was testing it w/o the internals, I'd stick my finger in front of the eyes and when I'd shoot it would only do about 5bps with the eyes turned on. I suppose I'll have to change the default settings.
That's perfectly normal. When the balls are moving past the eyes as you shoot, the eyes are reading it as everything being A-OK. When you just stick your finger in front of the eye, it's not reading movement, so it defaults to a slower rate of fire. It happens with my Virtue in my Shocker and all the other boards I have as well.

Sounds pretty cool! I've been a fan of Virtue for awhile (I care less about their "PBN scam/business practices," in fact, I laugh because a bunch of scammers got scammed, but that's another story for another day!)
Old 04-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Bling Bling Bling

Yep Virtue boards, at least the other ones, have Eye logic that will slow the rate of fire down if an eye error is detected. That keeps the chances of a chop down.

Trust
*AO*IO*KUSA*PBN*PHOG*
You have been roshamboed
BAMF-Hacker's Mood: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 01:55 PM

Thx for the info guys. This is the only experience I have w/an aftermarket board besides the ECS in my Imp and that didn't cost me a cent. That bouncebeam and this breakbeam so I suppose I won't need to worry about paint color. ECS took me about a couple hours to remember all the options. I'm thinking this one's gonna take me about a week of tinkering before I get it all memorized hee hee. Think I'm gonna turn the bolt upside down to reserve on propellant while tinkering. I'll most likely not even use all the fancy ramping modes and all but having the bps, dwell, coil timing, anti-mechanical bounce and debounce controls will be nice to super fine tune the VS's performance and function. I can hardly wait to shoot some paint through this thing. My VS was ripping at 225psi with no backpressure. I will try to make a special trip this weekend to my favorite renegade field to waste a ton of paint checking this thing out -

Old 04-27-2007, 07:44 PM

Thumbs up Re: DRAGON's Virtue Experience........

PART III

Makay, I've been tinkering with all the settings and such. LOTSA FUN!!! Let me just say doing all this is much easier than the looks of this long instructional makes it appear. Getting to the settings is basically the same for all of them. Hold the trigger and turn it on. Watch the crazy lights for a while, then go to the color/adaptation you want to change. Watch what the setting is currently at(count the blinking lights) then change it by pulling the trigger as many times as it takes to your choice. Change it to....whatever, turn the board off then back on to test/see the results of what you've done. Piece of cake -

Most all of these modes eventually end up in full auto. I personally have no use for them but I'm sure all youz tourney guys will lov'em. I had a bit of a bounce issue but that was resolved very easily through the settings. The bounce setting is at 15ms now(funny, it's the same as my Imp bounce setting). I must admit, I'm somewhat liking this auto response mode. It's basically a RT thing. 1 shot per pull and release. I have the pbs set at 17bps same as my Impulse. I have the ramping set at 12bps. Seems any lower for me and it continually goes full auto in the ramping modes. Maybe my fingers both left and right are a lil faster than I thunk't. I'll keep the auto shutdown at 30 minutes. You can time how long before the marker automatically shuts off on its own. My Fasta has the same type of setting. Don't think I'll mess with the coil time setting. That's about the only one I'm not too sure of -

Well! This is one helluva nice change from the mundane stock board lol. It'll prolly take me a couple months of trial and error to get it at exactly where I want it. Not that it would normally take someone that long it's just I like perfecting things to the T. As an example, it took me about 2 months to get my Impulse trigger set perfectly through tinkering and playing. I'm thinking I'll have this whole array of multi-settings memorized much quicker than I initially thought as well -

Next? Part IV......the paint test. Imma be testing it with both my ZEGGO and Fasta hoppers. I'll prolly get a half case of paint and have a ball with all these choices -

Old 04-28-2007, 06:59 PM

Thumbs up Re: DRAGON's Virtue Experience........

PART IV

All righty then.....went to a local pro shop that has a couple of speedball fields to test this. The lady there was nice enough to let me use her field and gave me free air as well. Since I don't really like wasting paint, I ended up only using a bag of 500 of some brand that I don't normally use. I was having so much fun with this thing that I ended up only using the Fasta hopper because I ran out of paint so danged fast lol. i ended up with a bunch of players scratching their heads, gawking at me wondering what the hell I was doing ripping on this thing and basically just wasting paint at the targets -

The paint tests were just dandy. I still have a little issue with bounce since I installed this board that I thought was resolved. There's a sweet spot right in the middle of the trigger now and I can easily induce the bounce at that point. I do have the trigger laying very close to the activation point of the switch which I will change out in the future. I upped the bounce to 25ms and even increased the mechanical bounce setting which helped a little. I'm sure all of you know, the lower the bounce setting the higher chance of bounce. I think part of the issue is the newer levered micro-switches. With a little patience I'm sure I can tweek it out -

Far as all the modes and all....WOW! I suspect it's why I had all the gawkers standing around. The VS was totally ripping and all I had the rof at was 17bps. All the modes worked flawlessly. There were some shot inconsistencies but I suppose it may have been to do with my fingering and when the hopper got low on paint. I still liked the #5 auto response mode the best because you have more control of the rof speed. #4 ramp mode was my second fav since you can somewhat control teh zippidy doo dah of throwing litterally tons of paint with little effort at all. I think having the bounce setting so high crippled the semi mode a little. There seemed to be a few hesitations in the rhythm -

I had 1 break out of the 500 balls. Prolly because of using cheap paint since that was in the barrel. I hate cleaning the eyes and after the break looked in the breech and was releived to discover there was no paint at all in there. The break was at the end portion of my J&J ceramic. The eyes did their job just fine -

All in all, this board is staying in my VS and I've certainly not even touched the end result of tweeking it. Having a full spectrum of board controls and teh zippidy doo dah modes gives it a great advantage over the stock board. The pricing is a little high but maybe that'll come down a little once the competition of other board providers is prevalent. You may be cross-eyed when first glancing at the instructions as I was but once you consume them, they're actually quite easy to follow. I give Virtue a for providing Spyder owners with this new electronic board with laser eyes -

Old 04-29-2007, 03:51 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Awesome review and it sounds like you're gonna have loads of fun with it. One thing, though. I bought my Virtue board a couple years ago and it's the exact same price now as it was then, so I doubt it'll come down in price any. Only downfall to a board I love playing with.

Glad to see another satisfied owner out there!
Old 04-29-2007, 04:03 PM
If you fall down a bottomless pit, you die of starvation.

Great review drago. I have wanted a new board for a while now but I don't want to fork over $100 when I don't even shoot that fast.

Everything you need to know
Old 04-29-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidonfire
.......... when I don't even shoot that fast.
Thought that was one of the main intentions in purchasing a new board......to fasten up the ol shot count even if you don't have thunder fingers lol -