Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Team Captain / Team Mechanic

Default Re: North Korea fires 6 test missiles

i know a cuople months ago north korea was tryin to get out of their bad situation because china is their only ally
they live in poverty
and all their money is spent on the military
*cough* hire a korean sniper *cough*
Smart Parts 14" Freak Barrel W/Freak Tip

oo bungle, thats an i, oh bingo, BUNGIE!!
Old 07-05-2006, 04:40 PM
wat

Yeah but I think what you guys are saying about reaching us is missing the point. The point is: North Korea is close enough to bomb Japan. What's stopping them from bombing Japan? I think that's the major concern. Japan is a protectorate of us, if they get bombed we're required to help them to fight back. Why do you think it's the Japanese who called up the Security Council and called for a swift condemnation of N. Korea? I don't think it's all about the long range one, I think it's also about the 6 short range successful missiles that landed 200 miles off the coast of western Japan..
Old 07-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedBarron
I want to point out I noticed a few people saying "that angry Asian" and the such... none of that, that is what got us into trouble in WWII....
What does that have to do with anything. We are not being derogatory toward anyone with that statement. We are simply acknowledging first his personality, then his height, then his nationality. We are not lumping everyone from his country in with him. When someone refers to me as a yankee, honky, whitey, or any other name when I am in a different country it does not bother me. People need to get over that and I can say that too. I grew up being the only white person around for 75 miles in a country where whites were a minority by an average of 100/1. I have been on the other side of racism. Calling him an "angry little asian" is not a bad thing and we are not being racist.

Plus it helps us cope with the problem. So let us say that if we want, and if you are asian we are not referring to you. Just like when someone goes off on a Muslim...They are not all terrorist, but some of them are and there is nothing they can do about it. I am going off about the 1 bad apple in the group not the whole group. Ok I am done now.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydr
Gas went up today.How the hell does a country firing 7 missles make gas prices go up? It was $3.05 here yesterday and like $2.60 a week before then.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydr
it doesnt. the companies are already gouging it.. it was 288 here yesterday, 305 today, and im pissed. plus when its 250 (240 with kroger plus) i have to wait like 10 min in line.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:25 PM
RaWr

Quote:
Originally Posted by splaturout
What does that have to do with anything. We are not being derogatory toward anyone with that statement. We are simply acknowledging first his personality, then his height, then his nationality. We are not lumping everyone from his country in with him. When someone refers to me as a yankee, honky, whitey, or any other name when I am in a different country it does not bother me. People need to get over that and I can say that too. I grew up being the only white person around for 75 miles in a country where whites were a minority by an average of 100/1. I have been on the other side of racism. Calling him an "angry little asian" is not a bad thing and we are not being racist.

Plus it helps us cope with the problem. So let us say that if we want, and if you are asian we are not referring to you. Just like when someone goes off on a Muslim...They are not all terrorist, but some of them are and there is nothing they can do about it. I am going off about the 1 bad apple in the group not the whole group. Ok I am done now.
Im black, you are preaching to the choir there... my point is, during WWII we were all yelling those stupid japs... now we are yelling that stupid Asian, It is exactly the same thing, our country needs someone to blame all the time, whether it be people of middle east decent Asian people, french people, the problem comes when we start classifying people by their ethnicity. Those Asians, Those Africans, Those French... you see you are saying that the whole country follows that one persons belief. And that is why I told you guys to stop saying that, I feel that it is starting a stereotypes of sorts and that isnt something that should e public, if you want to call him an angry Asian in a chat room with your buddies, thats fine, if you want to talk to your parents about the angry Asian good for you, this a public place everyone is seeing what you are saying, some kids are going to catch on and start calling all Asians angry and unstable, as much as you would like to believe that it doesn't work like that.... it does.
"If society is tranquil, it is not because it is conscious of its strength and its well-being, but because it fears its weakness and its infirmities; a single effort may cost it its life. Everyone feels the evil, but no one has courage or energy enough to seek the cure."
Old 07-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Banned

in human society, if only X variables exist amongst people, general people find a group of X which has a small amount of difference and make it seem so incredibly different that one would assume there is both an X and a Y...
Old 07-05-2006, 06:28 PM
RaWr

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrell
Yeah but I think what you guys are saying about reaching us is missing the point. The point is: North Korea is close enough to bomb Japan. What's stopping them from bombing Japan? I think that's the major concern. Japan is a protectorate of us, if they get bombed we're required to help them to fight back. Why do you think it's the Japanese who called up the Security Council and called for a swift condemnation of N. Korea? I don't think it's all about the long range one, I think it's also about the 6 short range successful missiles that landed 200 miles off the coast of western Japan..
I already took care of that in my post, I said that the reason they dont attack Japan is because China would be devestated as well, and as China goes so goes NK. That and they are scared of us.
"If society is tranquil, it is not because it is conscious of its strength and its well-being, but because it fears its weakness and its infirmities; a single effort may cost it its life. Everyone feels the evil, but no one has courage or energy enough to seek the cure."
Old 07-05-2006, 06:32 PM

Judge and Jury

Actually, if the DPRK acts up, it's technically a UN issue (read, US) since the Korean-UN action never officially ended, hence it's the second or third largest concentration of US troops (someone check me on that). Also, armistice isn't peace, it's just the lack of open war.

Japan does have a sort of military that is pretty well armed. It's a Self Defence Force (SDF) and only for...ding ding...self defense...so it's pretty small and wouldn't really stand up too well against a full attack (probably).

also, I wouldn't put too much stock in the Phalanx...it's called a CIWS, which stands for "Close In Weapons System." That means, last ditch effort at shooting down a multiple mach missile that is coming toward the ship that it's on. It can't protect that much, and even so, it's not foolproof. Neither is the AEGIS radar/air-intercept system.

I'd be much more worried about Iran doing something than North Korea. Kim is pretty isolated and not really doing much to help his situation. Iran on the other hand still has "friends" out there...
Old 07-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Maybe the White House might decide this is just what they need to pull more troops out of Iraq. I don't know, but I have this feeling that our troops aren't finished in the world yet....(anyone remember in the 80's and 90's we had so many volunteers that they were asking people to not enlist and discharging people for any reason at all? I think we're about to see a massive volunteer hunt...)

I don't know enough about North Korea to make an educated statement...however, I think that China won't dare let it happen since they're in the middle of a major growth spurt in their country, both in industry and finance. Allies or not, it wouldn't be in their best interest, in my opinion.

However, as they are obviously thumbing their noses at the US and the security council, it is feasible they may be planning for something in the future - whether it be attack of Japan or of South Korea so we best be on our toes here. Are there any terrorist cells in N. Korea?

It would be so much easier to off the leaders that are causing so much destruction and worry...think - if we'd had sent in a crack sharpshooter or seal team to either assasinate Hussein, or just plain old capture him, where would we be today? I've long been a proponant of pulling ALL our troops and money back to the US and saying, "To heck with you all. Deal with your own problems for awhile," and only move when something comes close to affecting us. But, that's not the way this country works. Too many bleeding hearts out there...