Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Finally!!!

Default To buy or not to buy?!?! 56k beware

Well I got back from a biz trip to Turkey (I'm stationed in Germany and travel all over Europe and beyond with the new job) anyway...Josie, my wife, informs me that although she doesn't want to get rid of our suburban she would like to get something a little more practical for here in Germany. Now this was no surprise considering that driving a suburban in Germany is a little bit of a challenge, and although I have offered my Mazda 323F ZXI to her

and I'd drive the suburban to and from work she begrudgingly decided to start driving the mazda but doesn't like it because of how low to the ground it is and rough the ride is. Stick with me because this is what builds up to the shock she dropped on me, my car was only available in Europe, has a 2.0L V-6, sport tuned suspension and is a blast to drive on the autobahn as well as windy backroads. So, when I ask what she had in mind this is what she said she wanted....

This pretty much floored me, she wanted a 285 hp SRT-4 Caliber!!!
Now if your saying SO! you need to go test drive one. I took one out today for a test drive and all I can say is DAMN! This little gem pulls HARD son! I hit the autobahn and with a roll on speed of about 45 mph in 3rd and gunned it, it rocketed to 90 mph like that and grabbing 4th jumped to 125 mph without really even put much off a demand on my right foot. Once we (we being the sales girl that was with me for the test-drive that made the mistake of saying "Wow! I wonder how fast it will go") got clear of traffic and had some open road I decided to see for myself. At 150 mph in 5th gear it was like it was taunting me to quit being a ***** and had I not had to slow down for some traffic before I was able to grab 6th gear I planned on answering her question for her (although I'm pretty sure she was glad I didn't). The boys in the SRT div of Dodge did a good job, this thing was remarkably stable at speed and still very civil running around town.
So here's where I need the help, the intention is to buy this for my wife , do I really want to put her behind the wheel of this beast? I'm already sold on it, but after letting her drive my Turbo RX-7 (God rest it's soul), which this thing makes it seem slow in comparison, do I tempt fate. Yes I'll get to drive it quite a bit but primarily she'll be the one driving it. Am I out of my mind???
Family Photo
My Feedback
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Fluent in Stroll

Default Re: To buy or not to buy?!?! 56k beware

how much ware you willing to spend? i can try and do some poking around if you dont feel safe with your wife driving this.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Resident *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVS1 View Post
my Turbo RX-7 (God rest it's soul)
You had a Turbo RX-7? I hate you.

That Calibre is ugly as hell, you better not get her that burnt orange color.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Finally!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin-martian View Post
how much ware you willing to spend? i can try and do some poking around if you dont feel safe with your wife driving this.
It's gonna be pretty much right in my price range, $25 to $27K, the one I put a deposit down on is sunburst orange and comes in right around $25,000. It's not that I don't feel safe about her driving it, it has 5 stars across the board as far as safety ratings go, I'm more worried about having to pay for all her speeding fines.
Thank God in Germany speeding tickets don't get reported to your insurance company like in the states so your rates don't sky-rocket, you just have to pay the fines, which can get pretty expensive.
Appreciate your offer but it will probably be pretty hard to match the price I can get one for here through the AAFES Exchange Car Sales since I don't have to pay taxes on it and get about $3500 in discounts/rebates being military stationed overseas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred76 View Post
You had a Turbo RX-7? I hate you.

That Calibre is ugly as hell, you better not get her that burnt orange color.
Yep, loved that RX-7, funnest car I've ever owned...never should have sold it!
I wasn't keen on the looks either till I got a good close look at it and I actually like it now, and yep sunburst orange, call me crazy but I feel performance cars should have bright, vibrant colors.
Family Photo
My Feedback

Last edited by MVS1 : 09-24-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Fluent in Stroll

have you looked at VW GLIs?
i think they look nicer, feel nicer on the inside, and dont prompt you to floor it everywhere while still having the power for when you need it.

edit - im also just looking at cars in the same price range in the states. i dont know how much they differ in germany.

Skanking to the beat.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Finally!!!

Oddly, VW's here seem to pull a premium as compared to in the states, probably because the prices include the 20% VAT, but the closest VW performace wise is in the 30K euro range. I tried selling her on a GTI but we rented a Passat when we first got here and she hated it so VW's are off the list even though I wouldn't mind getting a Jetta VR6.
Family Photo
My Feedback
Old 09-24-2008, 12:32 PM
What is The Dew, and How Do I Do it

viva la dodge.......even tho i drive a chevelle
Proudly Surrendering people at 25 yrds
Old 09-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Fluent in Stroll

a passat is different than a GTI. does she know that?
do they have R32s over there?
have you looked at mazdas? (3, 6, RX-8)
are you only looking at 4 doors, or are you open to 2?

Skanking to the beat.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Finally!!!

I am a die-hard mazda fan and tried pushing her towards the 6 but the srt is what she picked, and after driving it I'm cool with that, plus price wise the srt is cheaper than any of the other cars we've looked at (for what equipment options we want) and perfoemance wise blows them away. With 3 kids i have to have something with some room in the back so 4 doors is a must and room for all the junk that goes with having a family.
Family Photo
My Feedback
Old 09-24-2008, 02:17 PM
wat

Ew, Dodge.