Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 AM

Respected, period.

Default Re: Soc Gdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKwithPride View Post
She was AWESOME the first 2 nights, but as soon as we switched from premade formula to powdered formula she is just sooo fussy. I think she's just adapting to it better and it was giving her some pretty bad gas.
Could be lactose intolerant. My nephew was like that, they switched him to soy and everything was better almost instantly.

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 PM
New Guy.. Who's that?

Curious to see what you all know about buying a used car from a used car dealership.

I'm currently looking for a Temp car (~3 years or so) until I get settled in with working/a job (hopefully I can get one). I am looking for towing capability (though many can, few are rated for it) as I hope to continue lugging my motorcycles around to the track. Right now I'm looking at an 07 Subaru Outback. AWD should give me the flexibility on relocation (looking at Ohio), while it's N/A so it gets slightly better fuel economy and runs on regular gas. The particular one I'm looking at is here.

Carfax seems to be (haven't paid for it) clean, though it only shows alignment, and a wheel bearing replacement plus "suggested service" at 97K. Car currently has 126K on it. They want 8900 for it (+fees probably around 10k in the end). Vehicle had a single owner who sold back to the dealer that it came from (brand new, or pretty close to it), dealer sold it on auction to a local-ish dealer.

The dealer (Impex Auto Sales) has a decent reputation with the BBB, on Google and soso with Yahoo. Just thought I'd pick your brains, maybe someone can help. I'm great with motorcycles, but when it comes to a used car, I'm really iffy on cars with this relatively high mileage.

Everywhere I've looked, they say it's an incredible deal (based on mileage, CarFax, age, etc). Any hints/tips?
Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 AM

Respected, period.

I have bought a lot of cars in my life, between the age of 18 and 22, I owned 7 different cars. When people come to me and ask for advice there are a couple things I tell them, not only because of my experience with buying cars but also because my best friend has been a car salesman, and now finance director of a dealership, for a long time, and this is some of the stuff he has told me.

First, dealerships make the most money on used cars. I'm guessing they took that car in for around $3000, and put $500 into it to get it ready for sale. So I wouldn't just go in and say, "I'll take it!" at the current price, try to knock them down a bit. Never go in and agree on their sticker price, ever.

Second, tell them you want a CarFax report, the full report. Most dealerships pay a yearly fee to get as many CarFax reports as they want, so this shouldn't be a big deal. If they make a big deal about getting it for you, I would be leery of the car.

Third, make sure you drive the crap out of the car on the test drive. Don't just drive it on the mundane streets that surround the dealership, take it on the highway, get it up to speed, test the breaks, steering, etc... Make sure there are no funny noises and that it feels right in every aspect of driving.

Finally, and the most important in my mind, never go into a dealership thinking you are going to drive a car off the lot that day, EVER. Be prepared to walk away. 99% of the time you aren't really walking away. Typically, if you even get off the lot, they will be ringing your phone before you even get home trying to get you back in the dealership, most of the time they call with a better price. They don't want you to leave though, they can't sell you a car if you aren't there.

For this particular car, it has pretty high mileage. 126k is a lot of miles for any car, although Subarus are pretty solid. Typically banks won't even give out loans for cars with 100k+ miles. That being said I'm going to guess you have a little power here. If I were you, and after I test drove the crap out of it, I'd offer $8,000 (+ fees). If they so no, say, "Thank you for your time." get up, and leave. Don't fall for any crap like, "We have a lot of people looking at this car, if you leave now it will probably get sold later today."

Another good idea, is try an see if how long it has been on the lot.

Stay tough and don't take any crap.

KUSA Feedback

Shunut Creations
Old 09-28-2012, 08:17 AM
New Guy.. Who's that?

Thanks Shu. I agree with you on all accounts. I've been 3 years without having a car (though access to one) and I've haggled my way on both my bikes (though private sales). I have no problem saying "no thank you!" I probably won't be financing (not worth it anyhow). I guess the thing that surprises me is how much these damn things (cars in general) cost with such high mileage if they are < 10 years old. Even on Craigslist, cars with more mileage are for sale at ~10k. 2002's are half the price, though.

But the car has been sitting for sale for a month (27 days). I may take a look at it sometime, but it's an hour out and I don't have a car haha.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. I decided to get a used car instead of a new car as a temporary means. I only really plan to get 3 years out of any vehicle I buy at this time and thus I'm staying under 10k. Granted, I don't want it to be a piece of crap! Of course, it is more difficult because I want to be able to tow a light trailer (at least one of my motorcycles, if not both) but am straying away from trucks.

EDIT: Actually I was reading this somewhere.. I read online that sometimes (not often) you can convince a dealer to let you take the car overnight to see how you feel about it. Maybe not. I am just always uncomfortable doing an emergency stop during a test drive with the salesperson there, hahaha.

Last edited by leed : 09-28-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunut View Post
Could be lactose intolerant. My nephew was like that, they switched him to soy and everything was better almost instantly.
Second this - my youngest was lactose intolerant also. We switched to that soy formula and it worked like a charm. More expensive, but wonderful stuff!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:52 AM

Respected, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Thanks Shu. I agree with you on all accounts. I've been 3 years without having a car (though access to one) and I've haggled my way on both my bikes (though private sales). I have no problem saying "no thank you!" I probably won't be financing (not worth it anyhow). I guess the thing that surprises me is how much these damn things (cars in general) cost with such high mileage if they are < 10 years old. Even on Craigslist, cars with more mileage are for sale at ~10k. 2002's are half the price, though.

But the car has been sitting for sale for a month (27 days). I may take a look at it sometime, but it's an hour out and I don't have a car haha.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. I decided to get a used car instead of a new car as a temporary means. I only really plan to get 3 years out of any vehicle I buy at this time and thus I'm staying under 10k. Granted, I don't want it to be a piece of crap! Of course, it is more difficult because I want to be able to tow a light trailer (at least one of my motorcycles, if not both) but am straying away from trucks.

EDIT: Actually I was reading this somewhere.. I read online that sometimes (not often) you can convince a dealer to let you take the car overnight to see how you feel about it. Maybe not. I am just always uncomfortable doing an emergency stop during a test drive with the salesperson there, hahaha.
No problem man. And don't be worried about doing the emergency stop, just let them know that you are gonna do it. I have been on many test drives and have pushed cars so hard, and the salesperson has never said anything about it. I test drove a Civic Si probably about 5 years ago, I hit 105 mph on the freeway and the salesman didn't say a word. I think they know you gotta test the car and as long as you don't test the airbags, they are good with it.

KUSA Feedback

Shunut Creations
Old 10-02-2012, 06:48 AM
wat

Speaking of babies..

December 5 my boy will be here
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Fluent in Stroll

YAY! Congrats D! I saw your name and thought "oh wow, I wonder what he's up to." Turns out alot haha. My generations baby train is passing me by.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 PM
wat

I'm up to a lot..headed to a birthing class now, but I'll try to remember to stop by later and update you guys. Glad to see the OG dudes are still chatting. We should start some sort of chat room to just idle in.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Fluent in Stroll

Oh man, the old school kusa chat!

Skanking to the beat.

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.