Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Discontinued Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 PM
New Guy

Default TL-Plus: getting the most out of it

I posted this similar thread on PB nation, but thought it might get some more specific info on the spyder forums.

So my friends and I have started playing paintball recreationally a few times a month. Standard woodsball with random people of all ages and experience. I haven't played in years and since the place we play is Semi-Auto only I haven't had much urge to get a new marker, but I am wanting to make some basic upgrades to my TL plus. so far i have added:

14" J&J Ceramic Barrel
JT Remote Coil
HPA Tank

since adding the barrel and coil i seem to have dropped a little in velocity. My next thought was to replace the spring since it's 10+ years old and then purchase a new delrin bolt. Will this help my performance? Also, when I replace my bolt should i replace the striker with a delrin as well?

Is it best to change both the striker and valve springs or will the striker spring be enough?

Also, are there any other add ons or small tweaks I can make without doing a full blown LP modification? If it gets to that point i'd just assume get a new marker.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:37 PM
add 1,794 posts

Default Re: TL-Plus: getting the most out of it

a spring kit should be enough to fix the velocity issue. also an electronic hopper would be a good upgrade and stop any chopping
Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 PM

Respected, period.

Electronic hopper is a little vague, as you could get a hopper that just agitates the balls. You want to go with a force feed loader, like a Rotor, Prophecy, Reloader B, Halo B, VLocity, ect....

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 08-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Resident *******

HPA produces less pressure than a hot CO2 tank. It's been warmer than usual in most parts of the country this summer, so I'm going to bet that's where your drop in velocity is from.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 AM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunut View Post
Electronic hopper is a little vague, as you could get a hopper that just agitates the balls. You want to go with a force feed loader, like a Rotor, Prophecy, Reloader B, Halo B, VLocity, ect....
are force feed loaders really an improvement for a basic semi-auto marker like the TL? I always assumed that autos received the most benefit from these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred76 View Post
HPA produces less pressure than a hot CO2 tank. It's been warmer than usual in most parts of the country this summer, so I'm going to bet that's where your drop in velocity is from.
Good point, bigred. I'm in North Carolina and it was high 90s when we played last weekend. This was also the first weekend with my remote and barrel which is why I assumed they were the cause of dropped velocity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkShadow View Post
a spring kit should be enough to fix the velocity issue. also an electronic hopper would be a good upgrade and stop any chopping
Should I get a spring kit that replaces all of the springs including striker, valve, sear, and trigger? Or just a striker kit?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:46 AM
add 1,794 posts

the striker and the valve springs would be the most help but often they all come in one package and the whole set isntthat expensive and it's nice to have them all around just in case

also, if you just have a semi-auto, and dont plan on getting an eframe, a force fed loader is always nice anyway. used reloader b's are pretty cheap and theyll stop you from having to shake your loader and chopping
Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Resident *******

If you run the CO2 tank vertically with a remote line in the hot weather, you should see about the same results as the HPA, given you are lucky with the expansion. The problem is that CO2 is unregulated, so it merely expands as needed. Liquid CO2 inside the marker may expand inside the marker, causing pressure spikes post vertical regulator. The vertical bottle with the remote line should not suck up liquid, only gas, and since it's warm out even if it did it would most likely expand before it even got to the bottomline. HPA will constantly be regulated (typically at 800-850psi) until the pressure in the bottle drops below the set output. Thus, your CO2 system on the same marker might put out closer to 1,000psi, 200psi more than the HPA. It could very well be a bigger difference, but I am only guessing from experience.

A force feed hopper will stop all chops, misfeeds, etc. Get a Reloader B, install a rip drive in case of jams, and you will have a hopper that you can keep and use on any marker you ever get. They're just plain good investments. I've even used them on pumps, on a low force setting, just to prevent hopper jams from the horribly inefficient gravity systems. You will see the most benefit on any higher end electro-pnuematic marker, but you will still see the benefits as soon as you realize you don't have to shake the gun as you're shooting.

Spring kit is always advised, coupled with a regulator. I would first adjust the velocity with the adjuster on the back of the marker to see if you can get it into acceptable range. Back it all the way out, then turn it in until proper velocity is achieved. I do not foresee you needing a spring kit, but it is a possibility if you just can't reach 285fps. I am not suggesting the spring kit or the regulator as much as I am the hopper, because like you said... you might as well just get another marker. A good regulator can always be taken to other guns but chances are anything you upgrade markers to will already have an equivalent regulator.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to