Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 PM
New Guy.. Who's that?

Default My Life: TL;DR doesn't exist.

So you might wonder why I bothered to make this thread, and more importantly, who gives a damn. You don't have to, I figured maybe one person might be interested, so I'm quite alright with that. If not, oh well.

Originally, I was going to start a thread of, my life 500 words or less. I've come to realize that despite how long I've been here, not many of you know much about me. I do not have an exciting life, nothing to cry over, or be amazed by. I am average. I am not speaking of coming from the dirt and stepping up the ladder. I've literally known some of the people here for 8+ years, so I figured I'd share. However, this is abridged, and many details are left vague on purpose, so don't get lost.

Born, 1990 in North Carolina. I am first generation American born Chinese. I am not fluent in Chinese, as my parents figured it would be too hard on me growing up in an all English speaking society. I've gone to private school for most of my life, unfortunately, but I suppose it was worth it in the end. While growing up, my parents were rather harsh, though I've come to realize they were not the harshest of people I know. In my childhood, I don't have many 'kind memories' with my father, and my mother was always working. We were not well off, but we had enough money to get by without worrying to much, with limited entertainment excursions.

A little about my mother:
My mother was in nursing school overseas for some time. She came to the states, and became licensed. She started working, and then moved. There she worked and went to school. In time, she graduated this school and started teaching alongside working in a hospital. Soon after, she went into business school for her masters and graduated in my elementary years. She works 3 jobs, for no particular reason except to help people. Unfortunately, it has taken a toll on her health. She has had two surgeries on her back, and is still in pain, and new nerves are being pinched.
My mother pushed me through music, through piano. I was good, no doubt about it, but I did not try. I hated practicing, and so my funding for my lessons was cut short. One of the biggest regrets I have of my past. I played trumpet, and taught myself guitar (and now mandolin).

A little about my father: He was born the oldest in a family of 7 other siblings, with a mother who died when he was only 13, and a father who was always working. He came to America for an education, and got it. He pursued his masters and PhD in Neuroscience, but was thoroughly misinformed about his field and never pushed if further into his career. Since then, he's been a stay at home dad (as far as I can remember) and a trader by day.
My father pushed me through school, though he really didn't. He pushed me to match his goals so as to avoid getting in trouble. Though now I realize how childish it was to look at it that way. As life progressed, there were times here and there where I know he really cared for my well being, and was not just being that mean jerk I thought he was. Sometimes, though, he's still very misunderstanding and stubborn. We're different people, but so similar at the same time, so we butt heads rather often.

My parents never really were the typical parents when it came to my social life. They didn't tell me to say no to cigarettes, drugs, and alcohol. But, I somehow developed my own 'immunization' towards them. The taste of alcohol is terrible to me, as well as it's smell. Cigarettes are far too disgusting to me, and drugs, well, the smell of marijuana gives me a headache. The other drugs... A waste of money, in my opinion. For whatever reason, I never developed the taste for these sorts of these things, which is fine by me. But my parents never talked about it with me.

My brother and I got along for a while, but as we grew older, we grew apart. Our interests fell in polar ends. He went far with music (piano, trombone -- marching band, jazz ensemble, jazz quartet), where as I picked up lacrosse, played paintball at a less recreational level, and spent a lot of my time with friends. By the time I got into high school, my brother had moved into college, and for whatever reason (likely maturity), we grew closer than we ever had before. By the time I got to college, we really had the ability to connect, as I am essentially following his footsteps. My brother is my role model. I strive to achieve in my life what he has achieved in his. However, I've come to realize we look to each other for advice on many topics, though I ask more often than him.

I didn't get into the school I wanted to get into. To be honest, when I applied for schools, I had no clue what I wanted. I just picked one that was reasonable and reputable. My brother went private from a public school, and I did the opposite. Attending a well known state school for engineering, I went with mechanical engineering. School is tough. I am not a exceedingly intelligent student. In fact, I'm a terrible test taker. By the time I graduate, I will hopefully only have been here for 4.5 years, but will have taken about 5 years worth of hours (15 hour semesters) because I screwed up too much.

In my life, I have dated two girls. Each for a span of 2.5+ years. My first girlfriend I started dating when I was in 8th grade, when I was 14/15. I was friends with her prior to our 'romantic-relationship' and she dated one of my best and oldest (time and age) friends. Things went sour for them, and for whatever reason she put me in the middle of it. At one point or another, she ended up dating me. At the time, I had no intentions of dating, as it never occurred to me as a possibility. It showed through this relationship. The focus was all wrong. In the end, she cheated on me, and that was the end of that for me. But not for her. She stalked me, and creeped on me, stole my belongings, and broke some as well. She was rather violent, and the worst part was she was in my homeroom/advisory. However, this cleared up by the time I became a senior in high school.

My second, and most recent girlfriend, was a storybook meeting. I met her at the beach, and I've written a nine-page story/explanation on this, so I will cut it short. She was a year younger than me, and was at the beach with her good friend. She ended up being only 100 miles down the road from me, and we after spending 3 days in person, and series of texts, instant messages, and an average of 3 hour phone calls (max of 5, no joke), I took her to my senior formal (3 or so months later + several weekend trips). At this point, I told her I loved her.

Beyond this is a mix of this relationship and my life.
We continued dating as I moved into college, and she began her senior year, things were awesome. Her family took me in as their own, and I love(d) them for it. At the end of the year, she didn't get in the colleges she wanted to get into (she's a damn smart girl and got a 90k scholarship, but to a very expensive private school that she had no interest in what they were offering academically), so she decided to take a year off. She left the states and volunteered outside pursuing what she found she truly loved in life. At the end of the first semester, she came back to the states, but ended up spending the second semester with her sister in Arizona, doing god knows what. Just as well, she had been accepted into a good school that she applied to. The relationship ended, leaving out all the bits and details. My grades plummeted, and thus began last summer. Since then, it's just been school, and my grades have raised, but not all that much. To be honest, I am still recovering from this girl, but all is well.

I work part time as agricultural support for a horticultural field lab. I live with people who drive me insane, but can't afford to live by myself. I am nervous for how lost I will be when I graduate, but feel confident enough in myself that it will work out. People these days seem to be betting worse and worse, and it makes me feel terrible.

TL;DR - I was born, so here I am.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Gun Whore Extraodinair......113 And Counting

Default Re: My Life: TL;DR doesn't exist.

tl;dr

Back to gun whoring.....

armedfuture (8:12:32 PM): I'm a big angel
paintball6684 (8:16:09 PM): more like out of control, raging ginger
armedfuture (8:16:40 PM): noooooooo...........
Old 05-19-2011, 03:42 AM
Fluent in Stroll

At least you've done more than float your way through life like me.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 AM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

leed, its amazing how parallel our lives have run. sure, theres some major differences (oldest of 4, dad was a grunt in the army, etc) but coming from a family that valued (ok, mabye pushed is a better word) education above everything else, i totally see where youre coming from.

and as an engineering dropout (well, changed to IT), i have mad respect for engineering students. i have nowhere near the time and patients it takes to properly learn calculus.

maybe one day i'll write one of these too...
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 05-19-2011, 06:32 AM

Respected, period.

Leed, I've always respected you and considered you a friend. I enjoyed reading your life story. Since joining this forum I have made some really good friends, most of them I have never met in person, nor do I know a ton about their personal life, outside general stuff. I didn't know that you and your girlfriend broke up (I can't remember how to spell her name, I know it starts with a D and is something funky, pretty sure there is an "x" in there). Keep working hard Leed, it will payoff and I'm absolutely sure you will do just fine once you graduate, just don't forget about us

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 05-19-2011, 07:20 AM
No more Pablo San Lucas, you'll have to reset your title because I can't remember what it was

My parents ALWAYS pushed on me for grades and everything like drugs and the likes, and look what happened to me. I barely graduated with a little above a 2.0 GPA thanks to the grace of my teachers, I've honestly done more drugs than I'd like to admit(but hey, we're all family here, right? ), and I had my fair share of hangovers as well. You seem like a strong headed person who when they want something, they set their sites on it and do anything they can to obtain it.

You've always been one of my favorites on the KUSA boards Leed, and that'll never change. I know we haven't talked much lately, but I can honestly say that it would be awesome to meet you someday and just hang out and enjoy life as it is, one giant adventure.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 AM
add 1,794 posts

although i dont really know you much at all, i always find it interesting to hear about other peoples lives
Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 PM
New Guy.. Who's that?

Well, I'll be honest, I didn't expect this kind of response. However, I'm glad that those of you who read were able to take something from it (whether or not it's useful, haha). There are several on here that have been an influence on me, (some who no longer post) and it's always been good to have you all there, and I certainly hope to not forget. I definitely will not be forgetting the way the KUSA 'OG's' used to be.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:44 AM

Respected, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
I definitely will not be forgetting the way the KUSA 'OG's' used to be.
I wish we could get back there, we've tried...

KUSA Feedback

2006 Non-Spyder of the Year - The Shunut Spimmy

Shunut Creations
Old 05-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Has Been

You are THE man. Always remember that.

hit me up on AIM sometime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.