Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Picture and Video Pages
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Resident *******

Default Re: Camera gear

I use a simple, cheap UV filter when shooting paintball simply for the dirt and grime. If it gets hit with a ball and breaks, I'm pretty screwed. Gotta float the pieces off the front element with water and carefully get them off. It isn't going to protect the front element from a dumbass bunkering my camera dead-on, though. I think it's going to cost me a couple bills to have the lens recoated, but eh... oh well. That's a couple days' pay. I'll also have the focus adjusted while it's in for ****s and giggles.

He has the F/2.8L. No IS. Thank God he doesn't either, because that adds at least another half a pound. Pointless, too. You don't get a 2.8 lens then have to turn on IS.... If you do, a better value would be a flash/tripod and breathing control. Oh, or a body that can do a clean ISO 1000 or above set to Manual.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 AM
not a nublet, sheesh.

Eh, I don't care how fast your lens is, IS is still nice to have.. 2.8 isn't overwhelmingly fast either. I mean its really solid for the focal length and the fact that its a zoom but yeah, if you want to stop it down the IS is certainly handy to have.

The SMC Takumar 50/1.4 is supposed to be excellent, its actually got mildly radioactive thorium glass in it.. kinda cool. My copy isn't the best because I took a chance on an ebay auction with a sold as is policy. Terrrrrible fungus, I took it apart though and cleaned it completely, only issue now is the coating on the front element is damaged in a few places but whatever..

Yeah I meant to say USM for the 24-85, but my favorite part of USM is FTM.

Lenses that I can actually afford that I would like to get:

EF 50/1.4
EF 85/1.8
EF 28/1.8
These three are all USM, and relatively inexpensive for their performance. Also I love fast lenses..

andddd my dream lens is the EF 24/1.4 II L
Trinity Front block
IPS Sunbear Bolt
Dark Horizon titanium striker

Green/silver VSC CCI Phantom

Red/Black PMR SE
Old 10-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Respected Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred76 View Post
I use a simple, cheap UV filter when shooting paintball simply for the dirt and grime. If it gets hit with a ball and breaks, I'm pretty screwed. Gotta float the pieces off the front element with water and carefully get them off. It isn't going to protect the front element from a dumbass bunkering my camera dead-on, though. I think it's going to cost me a couple bills to have the lens recoated, but eh... oh well. That's a couple days' pay. I'll also have the focus adjusted while it's in for ****s and giggles.

He has the F/2.8L. No IS. Thank God he doesn't either, because that adds at least another half a pound. Pointless, too. You don't get a 2.8 lens then have to turn on IS.... If you do, a better value would be a flash/tripod and breathing control. Oh, or a body that can do a clean ISO 1000 or above set to Manual.
Ok I bought a filter I just wasn't sure if I should use it for that or not. Can't do much about it, beats buying a new lens.

For sports I don't really see the point of IS. Plus getting an IS lens is so expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob Hayward View Post
Eh, I don't care how fast your lens is, IS is still nice to have.. 2.8 isn't overwhelmingly fast either. I mean its really solid for the focal length and the fact that its a zoom but yeah, if you want to stop it down the IS is certainly handy to have.

The SMC Takumar 50/1.4 is supposed to be excellent, its actually got mildly radioactive thorium glass in it.. kinda cool. My copy isn't the best because I took a chance on an ebay auction with a sold as is policy. Terrrrrible fungus, I took it apart though and cleaned it completely, only issue now is the coating on the front element is damaged in a few places but whatever..

Yeah I meant to say USM for the 24-85, but my favorite part of USM is FTM.

Lenses that I can actually afford that I would like to get:

EF 50/1.4
EF 85/1.8
EF 28/1.8
These three are all USM, and relatively inexpensive for their performance. Also I love fast lenses..

andddd my dream lens is the EF 24/1.4 II L
The first two lenses I heard were great. I would probably end up getting a Canon 50 F/1.4 but I have heard alot of good things about the 85 F/1.8
Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Gun Whore Extraodinair......113 And Counting

IS is absolutely useless for sports, your shutter speed is always high enough to freeze action so IS really does nothing.

IS stabilizes the lens/body shake NOT the picture, If your action pic is blurry before turning on IS its still going to be blurry when you turn it on.

I went from all IS glass to all non-IS glass and don't miss it one bit, hell I have a 400mm without IS and have yet to miss any pics b/c of not having it.

Also fast glass is nice to have (i have a few) but putting on my 580exii and bouncing it off a wall will give me the same result if not better.

Also I am one of the ones that never uses a protective filter, the front element is way strong then the thin ass piece glass on a filter. All thats going to lead to is having to carefully take broken filter glass off the front of your lens.

If you plan on shooting paintball with that lens get on ebay and buy a cheap china knockoff hood. I already had one crack from taking a shot in the side from pretty close. I was out $10 for another cheap one instead of the $50 canon would of charged. Plus paint would easily stain the nice felt on the inside of the factory hood.

Back to gun whoring.....

armedfuture (8:12:32 PM): I'm a big angel
paintball6684 (8:16:09 PM): more like out of control, raging ginger
armedfuture (8:16:40 PM): noooooooo...........
Old 10-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Resident *******

Yeah, I know Dave, but some of the fields I shoot at are dirt, and I'd rather clean dirt off a filter than my front element. It's kinda hard to take the front element off and run it under some water. Lazyness ftw.

The EF 85 F/1.8 is probably going to be my next purchase, after an EF wide-medium zoom... I can't use my EF-S 18-55mm IS that came with my XSi on my 1D unfortunately. Not too big of a deal since I wanted a new lens anyways, but it has now become a necessity.

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Old 10-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Respected Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddytaco View Post
Also I am one of the ones that never uses a protective filter, the front element is way strong then the thin ass piece glass on a filter. All thats going to lead to is having to carefully take broken filter glass off the front of your lens.

If you plan on shooting paintball with that lens get on ebay and buy a cheap china knockoff hood. I already had one crack from taking a shot in the side from pretty close. I was out $10 for another cheap one instead of the $50 canon would of charged. Plus paint would easily stain the nice felt on the inside of the factory hood.
Yeah that's what some of people I talked to said. I think I'm going to stick with using a filter for now, my field is pretty dusty too.

I'll was gonna use the hood but I'll have to look into a cheap one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred76 View Post
The EF 85 F/1.8 is probably going to be my next purchase, after an EF wide-medium zoom... I can't use my EF-S 18-55mm IS that came with my XSi on my 1D unfortunately. Not too big of a deal since I wanted a new lens anyways, but it has now become a necessity.
What are you looking at?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Resident *******

Thinking about the Tammy 28-75 F/2.8. I can't remember if it's EF or EF-S, but from my recollection the glass quality was quite good. Just a micro-motor focus, but Tamron has pretty darn good glass on their top end lenses.

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Old 10-11-2010, 03:35 PM
not a nublet, sheesh.

I was halfway through suggesting a wider than 28mm lens, but then I remembered your on a 1.3x body.. Damn ye tim!
Trinity Front block
IPS Sunbear Bolt

Red/Black PMR SE
Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Respected Player

I just totally changed gears. I want a 10-22 mm next. Anyone use that or any fish eye?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:23 AM
not a nublet, sheesh.

I wish I had something that wide... I hate how much a 5d would cost.
Trinity Front block
IPS Sunbear Bolt

Red/Black PMR SE