Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Spyder Markers > Discontinued Markers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 12:55 AM
New Guy

Question Spyder Victor

I'm new to the forum, and sort-of new to paintball. I'm more new to the markers of today than anything. I played with low quality semi-autos and pumps through most of highschool. I've owned multiple "walmart" or "fleet farm" paintball markers in the past. Never anything of a better/higher quality. I have common knowledge about markers, but I don't have a lot of technical knowlege. Recently, a friend of mine had his bachelor party, which consisted of renting some 98 Customs for guys that didn't have their own markers and playing woodsball for 6 hours before the party bus showed up. After that, I knew I wanted to start playing regularly again. I had a blast.

I picked up a Spyder Victor on eBay for $15. I ordered a new delrin bolt(hopefully here today) because the aluminum bolt in it has some decent gouges in it. The inside of the marker doesn't have any scratches or gouges from the bolt. I completely disassembled it and cleaned/lubed it(seemed almost as though the previous owner NEVER cleaned it). It shoots pretty good after cleaning, but I'd like to do a little tinkering on it. I did a lot of searching on the forum looking at suggestions for upgrades and what not. I didn't find a lot on the Victor(mostly troubleshooting) so I figured i'd toss a question out there. I know there's a double edged sword on this, upgrades versus a new marker. A new marker to come later this year.

What can be done to upgrade this slightly?

It's got some kind of expansion chamber on it(or just a gas-through grip? picture below, you tell me?).

Two things I'm thinking about getting;
- A clamping feedneck because I didn't like the plastic elbows I used to use to attach hoppers 10 years ago when I played with friends in highschool.
- A barrel, but i'm not sure what length or what brand?

I know these two things aren't really serious, I just don't know a lot about upgrading a marker. It was all about the fun factor back then, not upgrades. We just went out and played. Any and all suggestions are welcome and will be considered!

This will turn into a loaner later in the year so I don't want to dump a lot of money into it($100-$150 or less), just get the bare necessities to get a decent set-up going.

Later this year I want to purchase a Spyder Electra. I've read a lot of the topics on this marker, and it sounds like something I want to buy. That's another thread for another day.

Picture:

Last edited by AXN Pball : 07-19-2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: picture
Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 PM
My Gun

Default Re: Spyder Victor

you picked up a great starter gun, Barrel I guess for one on the cheap side I would suggest a J&J ceramic which can be found on ebay for around $30, I've heard a lot of good things about those, I've personally never owned one, as far as length wise the longer the barrel doesn't effect the accuracy or distance of the paintball so what ever length you want really, I prefer a 14" myself. The feed neck upgrade is great just make sure to get the one for your gun which should have the curved bottom not the flat bottom. For being a loaner gun later I wouldn't bother upgrading anything else.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 AM
New Guy

Thanks for the response. I'll look into the J&J Ceramic barrels.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:02 PM

Great choice for a marker, even better considering it's cost. I have a reputation as a Spyder fanatic, so in my experience here are some upgrades you may wish to condider. I play with all of these recomendations.
Feed neck: get a clamping feed neck from Trinity Paintball (trinitypaintball.com.)
Bolt: I like Alamo City Low Blow bolts. They add back spin to increase range (like the Tippmann Flatline barrel system). Alamo City also has denrin and ACS bolts for the Spyder. Make sure you get the correct bolt (alamocitypb.com).
Gravity Hopper: The best gravity hopper is the Tacamo, it will keep up with your tigger pulls on a mechanical marker. Just limit it to 180 balls when initially filling it. (criticalpaintball.com).
Other upgrades are a softer spring as Spyder stock springs are stiff. Remeber to have a good paintball-barrel bore match.
Hope this helps. Have fun.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
New Guy

Well, I got the bolt earlier this week and put that in. I just got the J&J 14" barrel(as well as a 12") today. Went out and bought a new CO2 tank, and picked up a gravity feed hopper on the cheap. I definitely like the barrels. Feedneck is all thats left. For now...

What would be the reason for getting new springs? Sorry, I don't know much about this stuff. Trying to get all the info I can.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
My Gun

The reason for getting a spring kit is so that you can adjust the velocity. people mainly buy them if they are having problems with not getting the velocity high enough or its too high and can't get it to go any lower with the stock spring, if it shoots fine the way it is there really isn't any reason to get one. They are really cheap if you were interested I believe I picked one up for around $10 on ebay.