Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Picture and Video Pages
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Seņor Member

Default Simply assuming some of the photonuts on here might want to take a gander..

It's not quite the caliber 'Taco and 'Red have us looking at, but it's more the speed of everyone else on here.

After about 5 years without a camera, I spur of the moment researched and picked one up. I'm sure driving Tim nuts that I didn't want to drop 1k+ on a DSLR.. but for what I paid I think I'm going to be quite happy. (About $240 Canadian taxed in, so it works out to about $210 USD).

Anyways, specs - Canon Powershot SD890IS ELPH

Total Pixels 10.3 MP
Effective Pixels 10.0 MP
Lens
Optical Zoom 5X
Digital Zoom 4X
Focus Range 2 cm - Infinity
35 mm Equivalent 37 mm - 185 mm
Autofocus System TTL Autofocus
Aperture Range f/3.2 (W) - f/5.7 (T)
Shutter Speed Range 15 - 1/6000 Seconds
ISO Sensitivity Auto; 80 - 1600
Exposure Compensation ±2 Stops in 1/3-Stop Increments

I'm definitely going to have to play with it some more, it's been a while since I've done anything on manual settings so it'll take some getting used to again, but so far it's been very user friendly, and shoots amazing pics when you figure out what you're doing.

Auto: (Flash on)

Manual: ISO 200, Exposure 0 (doesn't go by F-stop, has a -2,-1,0,+1,+2 scale), Max Quality, Max Size (though I think Photobucket resized the photos), Flash off - in low light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X
Old 07-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Resident *******

Default Re: Simply assuming some of the photonuts on here might want to take a gander..

I was only asking you to drop $400 on a body and $500 on a lens... it wasn't even that much!

BTW, Exposure doesn't go by F-Stop... That's what affects DOF, and to compensate the camera adjusts the shutter value for you. You can make it take underexposed or overexposed by the exposure compensation, which is particularly helpful in my case since my sensor reads a bit brighter than it actually is.

Don't ever get that P&S near me, or I'll scratch that pitiful excuse for a flash right out of the body with a screwdriver.

Contrast is "meh," but you can fix that in PP. Should be fine for straight off the camera, though, since I know you're going to be scratching your head until these words about PP.

URT... Ultimate Resource Thread!

The [OFFICIAL] Manual Thread!

BigRed Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Taco
ya my vagina hurts sometimes to
Old 07-05-2009, 05:02 AM
Seņor Member

Default Re: Simply assuming some of the photonuts on here might want to take a gander..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred76 View Post
I was only asking you to drop $400 on a body and $500 on a lens... it wasn't even that much!

BTW, Exposure doesn't go by F-Stop... That's what affects DOF, and to compensate the camera adjusts the shutter value for you. You can make it take underexposed or overexposed by the exposure compensation, which is particularly helpful in my case since my sensor reads a bit brighter than it actually is.

Don't ever get that P&S near me, or I'll scratch that pitiful excuse for a flash right out of the body with a screwdriver.

Contrast is "meh," but you can fix that in PP. Should be fine for straight off the camera, though, since I know you're going to be scratching your head until these words about PP.
See what I mean, it's been a little while since film school.. lol. And just for that.. I'm going to drive to Cali, tie you to a chair and leave the camera wrapped around your head for hours with that pathetic tripod, which surprizingly does hold the weight of the camera btw.

So I guess I'm stuck when it comes to aperture settings then but all in all, I'm still quite impressed with it for what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace24 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this... but don't bash the Rails. :X