Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Fluent in Stroll

Default Major change?

So right now im heavily considering changing my major. My current plan is to do a major/minor in Econ and Poli Sci, but lately ive been finding the path portion of Econ pretty boring. I want to do something with more interesting/complex math involved. Ive been toying with the idea of going over to Engineering, but im still unsure. Currently, im just working on a general studies degree at a community college to transfer with, and once i get to a 4-year college ill start more heavily on which ever one i choose. So far ive taken two 200 level Econ courses, and the highest math ive been in is a high 100 level (173) calc class. Maybe that has something to do with helping make a decision...

Ideas/thoughts/questions/concerns?

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

Default Re: Major change?

im in the same boat, but im actually thinking about getting out of engineering. i was good at math in high school, but for some reason i fail all my calc tests. i'm transferring to a 4 year (not sure which, depends where/when my parents move next summer) too, and i'd hate to change my major after i get there.

as far as econ goes, i took micro last semster and in macro this semester, and i agree, it just seems boring, nothing but graphs and theories. like my econ teacher says "for every two economists in the room, theres three different theories."
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 AM
THE GAME

I'm a computer engineering major. You'll almost definitely have 2-3 more math classes. I love solving problems, and I came in as undecided engineering so I've heard every possible pitch towards certain disciplines. Any ideas as to what kind of engineer you'd like to be?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Fluent in Stroll

i thought the concepts in econ were interesting, but the application is what got me turned off.

and im highly aware that there will be much more math and physics. right now im looking at either mechanical or nuclear.

Skanking to the beat.

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Matrix Connoisseur

If you're good at math and science, you're a good fit academically for engineering, you're the only one that can decide if thats what you want to do.

I am a computer and systems engineering major, and so far I love my classes. Although I can't say much for any other majors, since my school is almost exclusively engineering.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:03 PM
New Guy.. Who's that?

Well apparently I am a terrible fit academically for Engineering, because I am barely passing through Calculus 1 (I guess it's me) and failing Chemistry. Only problem is, I don't have really anywhere to go that is of any interest. I suppose I can build a portfolio and transfer into Industrial Design (only Design I'm interested in). Sorry, not really pertinent to you, but I figured I'd share my unfortunate experiences with Engineering/Math.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:40 AM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

lol leed, im backwards from that. barely passing chem and failing calc 1 (for the second time...)
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 AM
wat

Math interests me, but I'm not good at it. I didn't have the desire to sit down and relearn Algebra just to go into engineering, so I decided to take the non-engineering computer route. I didn't want to design software or hardware, but rather make computers work together or do consulting work. I'm fairly certain after graduating with my 4 year in IT I'm going to do Network Engineering as a Masters degree, so..I think I made the right decision.

Engineering is a lot of work. I know at NC State (where I looked at going for Engineering), it required three Calculus classes and Differential Equations. Calc-based Physics 1 and 2, as well as Chemistry. It was a ton of work. So if you want to do the work, go for it.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:30 AM
THE GAME

Same here, up to calc 3 and differential equations.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 AM
I build custom Timmies

I think when making a decision like this,it's best to talk to a few professors about it. Helps to understand what classes you are going to need to take in order to achieve your career goals. Just a thought.

Fred
MY FEEDBACK
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=202