Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > General Spyder Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2008, 10:16 AM

Default CO2 and the RS (or others)

As the thread title mentions, I want to know more about my RS and it's use with CO2.

If you shoot alot and the gun gets cold, should I worry?

Would you try and shoot less with CO2 and you would with HPA?

The RS is able to use both gases, do you have to do anything to the gun when switching between both types of tanks?

Is the fitting / valve on the gun the same for HPA as for CO2?

Will CO2 damage the gun if you shoot too much and freeze it? Does the expansion chamber (there is one there, right?) ensure that you will not have liquid CO2 in the operations of the gun?

Thanks for answers!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Paintball Addict

Default Re: CO2 and the RS (or others)

Unless you hold your marker upside down and shoot like crazy, you won't get liquid into the electronics. Also, the problem with Co2 is consistency. Once you start shooting, the tank's temperature will drop, causing the velocity to drop. So if your playing woods, I guess Co2 would be fine. If your gonna play speeball, go with HPA.

Quote:
imlancehello (7:08:35 PM): I was just getting into it because the U.S. was winning like everything.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:08 PM
ŃΣ♪Θ

The RS has a regulator that operates just fine w/ Co2. As DirtySouth stated Co2 does cause velocity spikes and drops. I have used my RS w/ Co2 and shot a 20oz tank through it within 20 or so minutes and had no freezing or damage, only the velocity issue and it wasnt all that bad.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:24 AM

I'm not worried about the velocity, it comes with co2. As long as I don't have to worry about the gun. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeMaster View Post
As the thread title mentions, I want to know more about my RS and it's use with CO2.

If you shoot alot and the gun gets cold, should I worry? No. It's designed to take Co2 ok, so unless you're constantly doing it, I wouldn't worry. The only thing that might happen is that you ruin a few orings. If you're really concerned about it, and this is a good practice anyways, get your Co2 tank anti-syphoned. It's a tube that points towards the top of the tank designed to keep liquid from getting into the gun.

Would you try and shoot less with CO2 and you would with HPA? No.

The RS is able to use both gases, do you have to do anything to the gun when switching between both types of tanks? No. You can easily switch between the two. However, you may have to adjust your regulator up or down when you switch.

Is the fitting / valve on the gun the same for HPA as for CO2? Exactly the same.

Will CO2 damage the gun if you shoot too much and freeze it? Does the expansion chamber (there is one there, right?) ensure that you will not have liquid CO2 in the operations of the gun? It might blow a couple of orings, and get the internals dirtier, but other than that, no. "Freezing" may warp the metal, but I doubt it will get like that. Expansion chambers are there to HELP Co2 expand into a gas, but aren't a guarantee it's going to do it all the time. I thought the RS had a regulator? If so, that may help a little more.

Thanks for answers!
In the red...
Old 06-10-2008, 06:13 AM
»BaY ArEa«

About the messing up orings thing, the RS has an on/off making it pretty hard to mess an oring up. The only times I have messed an oring up were in my TL-R and I had to unscrew the Co2 and it would let a lot of Co2 out, and occasionally blow the oring off.
-Mark 9:24
Old 06-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

There are more orings in a gun than just on the tank and the ASA. There are orings on the valve, the striker, the regulator and sometimes the bolt. Anyone of these orings can go bad at any time, especially if proper care isn't taken to ensure that they stay good. Shoot, I used to change orings every month in my guns, just to keep them fresh. (Yes, I spoke with an oilfield supply rep, and he proved that orings have a "shelf life".)

Freezing the reg, or the gun, can cause crystalization in the material the oring is made of, which will eventually, if not right away, destroy the oring or cause teeny tiny cracks to appear and can cause leaks around the seat in the reg, the valve and the striker.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the answers. I'll just be maintaining the gun as best I can to keep it in top shape!