Would not recommend 0 0%
It's an alright product 2 100.00%
Recommend 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default Vanquished Spyder to Ego feedneck adapter

The other day, I got this link from Tim (Bigred) and when I saw it, I thought, "They stole my idea!" Well, technically, it was the fishman's idea (thanks again, Dre!), but I took it and ran with it by developing it for my Spimego project. See here for a detailed explanation and tutorial on my version made last summer.

I was having some difficulty with mine for awhile since I don't have a machine to actually produce a professional version. However, I had finally milled an oring slot and with a fat oring and some electrical tape, it had become pretty stable. Plus it gave my Spimmy a distinctive look. As far as I know, I was the first to actually put an Ego feedneck on a Spimmy/Spyder, so I was pretty happy with being unique...Then, along comes Vanquished. Now it seems EVERYONE can put an Ego feedneck on their Spimmys!

So I figured I would order one of these and see what I missed out on by not trying to patent ANOTHER one of my ideas that have come to light over the past few years.

First impressions: Ordering is pretty basic. Easy to do with the point and click system. Only 14.99 which is pretty good. However, they NAIL you with the shipping - a little more than 10 bucks shipping through UPS. OUCH! And that's with normal land shipping which took a week to get to me. Yup, I'm still sitting funny - not sure I removed all the pieces from my backside when they finished with me....

It got here in a rather large box compared to the size of the adapter, packed solid with packing peanuts (which as anyone will tell you can be quite a barrell of fun by themselves!) and the package centered in the middle quite nicely.

It looks good. Annodizing seems well done, the shape is good and no orings are needed to get a tight fit. It's about 1/8-1/4 inch taller than my homemade one, though, so I still own them in height, haha!

Upside: If you get one of these, the girls will think you are heroic and manly. You'll grow hair on your chest and your voice will be 2 octives deeper than those around you. Men will fear you, women will want you.

Ok, maybe not. But, at least for the time being, you'll have a cool feature on your otherwise normal looking Spyder.

Downside: If you get one of these, you're going to have to buy the Ego clamping part of the feedneck separately. These run about 15-30 bucks new (if I remember right - I think I paid 20 for mine last year) so you're looking at nearly 30-50 bucks for a complete feedneck using this part. If you can find a used one for less, you're still looking at about 20-40 bucks complete.

Overall impression: It's a feedneck adapter. What more can I say? It works! Doesn't really do much else but adds a bit more stability than my original one did.

Pics of it on my Spimego...