Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > General Spyder Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Spyder Addict

Default troubles with a new ion

so i just got a job at one of the local fields, and the first day there encountered a kid with a new ion. at first when he pulled the trigger, there wasnt enough pressure to cycle the bolt all the way, then after moving the dwell way up it finally made a full cycle. so we took it to the chrono to test it out and it was shooting hot about a bout 310fps. so i turned down on the front reg and it dropeed to 150ish fps. so after about 30 mins of messing with the dwell and the reg, he decided to just use a rental gun instead. Does the front reg need that much breaking in, or is something wrong with his gun? what do you ion owners have your dwell set at?
Old 07-16-2007, 03:31 PM
white ion...

Default Re: troubles with a new ion

www.ionowners.com

this place will answere any question you can ask.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:46 PM
THE GAME

you need to clear a few shots on the reg to notice a decrease in pressure. restore the stock settings on the board, then make the ion reg start at 0 psi. Add air, then slowly increase pressure in the reg until it is around 110psi. shoot a shot over the crono, and if it's too slow, increase pressure. Repeat until the proper FPS is achieved. Beginners should never modify dwell. Don't go to ionowners, that forum is so dead.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Spyder Addict

the problem was that the bolt woulndt cycle....we had it at 180-200 psi, and had to move the dwell to 37 or something like that
Old 07-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

applesauce...in the Ion, you don't list his "ups" (if any) but go by this standard:

The Ion reg is actually a decent reg but can take anywhere from 3-8 cases to break in properly. Otherwise:

Stock - Leave the original settings alone. You cannot mess with them too much and expect it to function properly...especially without a good quality QEV. Clippard with Quick Disconnect is the ONLY good way to go...

Upgraded - The only real componants that affect the cycle problems are: type of QEV; type of bolt; dwell; input pressure and clenliness of air system.

With a lighter and higher flowing bolt, AND with a Clippard QEV, he can drop his dwell significantly.
A SP360 is one of the worst qev's around because it was designed to be less flowing than the others.
A lighter bolt moves more easily in the firing chamber.
The input pressure IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE DWELL is what governs fps of the paint.
And remember...the dwell setting is what governs the CONSISTANCY of the shot(s) over the chrono. The lower the dwell, the wider the fps spread will be (280/270/278/269, etc) and the higher the dwell, the closer the consistancy will be (280/275/278/276, etc) but too high a dwell can make the marker malfunction.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:30 AM
THE GAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce
the problem was that the bolt woulndt cycle....we had it at 180-200 psi, and had to move the dwell to 37 or something like that
the problem was that you moved the dwell and you were way over mark on pressure. start at 110, and work your way up gently to around 140 (the starting OP)... mine is at about 155-165 right now.

and 37 what's. The ion's stock settings are at 52 blinks which is 34 milliseconds. 37 milliseconds shouldn't be a noticeable difference... but 37 blinks would be. take the dwell to back to 52 and retry the pressure. If all else fails, you may need to do a full strip and lube to see if there is a different problem
Old 07-17-2007, 03:28 PM
PROUD PAINTBALLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler
the problem was that you moved the dwell and you were way over mark on pressure. start at 110, and work your way up gently to around 140 (the starting OP)... mine is at about 155-165 right now.

and 37 what's. The ion's stock settings are at 52 blinks which is 34 milliseconds. 37 milliseconds shouldn't be a noticeable difference... but 37 blinks would be. take the dwell to back to 52 and retry the pressure. If all else fails, you may need to do a full strip and lube to see if there is a different problem
doesnt the ion dwell go up by 1ms every blink?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaPride04
doesnt the ion dwell go up by 1ms every blink?
Depends on the board. The stock board starts at 6 (or 8, don't remember) ms for blink 1 and then 1 or 1.5 ms for each successive "blink." I haven't had a stock board in almost 2 years so it's hard to remember.

The Lucky Spitfire uses a "true zero" ms and are .5 ms per "blink" (this is the board I use).

I'm not sure but I think the Virtue uses 1:1 ratio of ms:blink settings.