FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2007, 08:29 AM
See You In The Middle

Default Re: How to: Start your own local paintball field

Good luck Taillo. I wish you the best.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Well, I don't know what kind of help this will be, but I helped start our field almost 3 years or more ago, and was basically it's only customer for the first year of service...I've been through it's ups and downs, so I think I can speak a bit on this!

1: Where to start? Well you need to think about the area in which you're planning this. Is there an interest? What sort of interest is it? Speedball, woodsball, outlaw, tournament, scenario? No interest = failure in paintball. Don't even start!

Remember, we speak very highly of speedball and tournament play a lot around here, but the bread and butter of ANY field is it's rec players. And a lot of those guys are going to be woodsballers. ESPECIALLY newer players - it's a slower pace, most usually, and they feel more comfortable hiding behind trees.

2: What kind of investment are we talking about? A significant amount, at first.

You need to buy or lease the land, unless you already own it (we were lucky in that the land was already owned by the proprietor. If it's in town, you'll need permits for firing the paintball guns, as well as other permits that businesses require.

You'll need a substantial amount of rental packages (guns, tanks, loaders, masks, and neck guards - new players want protection everywhere!) You'll need netting (about a buck a square foot in most places.) You'll also need supplies for building different types of bunkers - unless you plan on buying all air fields, in which case, they run from about 1000.00 used to 2000.00+ for new fields. All this can be had from eBay, by the way!

You'll need some type of building - we actually have a larger premade building, but we had to move it from in town. Most fields I've been to use a trailor of some sort. Inside this trailor you'll need your basics - Co2 (this is going to be used the most). You're right, you can get this from any welding supply store. We pay about 35.00 per bottle with an 80.00 a year deposit for Co2. We also get Nitrogen bottles from the same company at about 50.00-60.00 a month per bottle with the same monthly deposit. If you could handle it, a compressor would be handy to recharge the bottles - in fact, you wouldn't need the bottles if you had the compressor.

3: What are the existing legislations in your country? (United States, Canada) Not sure. But we had to get a lawyer to set everything up. You may do the same.

4: Choosing the land. I'd select land that has a variety of landscapes - a large wooded area, so you can have a decent woodsfield (or two) and a fairly large flat grassy area so you can have a variety of speedball fields. This way you make EVERYONE happy.

5: What field supplies do i need? Field packages - not everyone is going to have their own gear. Guns, masks, loaders, tanks (both HPA and Co2), neck guards, etc. If you have air fields, you'll need a leaf blower or two to air up then bunkers. Normal tools, oring kits, oil, etc. Everything YOU need for your guns, multiplied times 100 to handle all the other guns and customers who'll need your help.

6: Bunker and map architecture. Most fields I've been to have at least one supair field, a spool field, and plywood bunker speedball fields, sometimes more than one. They ALL have at least two types of woods fields. Remember to get that woodsball field up and going first though! Rec players are your paycheck!

7: What about concurence and existing communities? Speak with your Chamber of Commerce and City Zoning committees. ESPECIALLY if you're going to build inside town. Every community has different rules. But you can bet they won't let you build near a residence zoned area. Too much noise and mess!

8: Finishing touches. Who knows? A paintball field is an evolving process - you start here, then next year it's totally different. You have to keep up with trends and such and strive to make changes as often as possible to keep your customers happy and interested. Otherwise, they'll go somewhere else to play.

Hope this helps a bit. I would have recommended NPS to start you off, but they've turned into the anti-christ lately. You'd do good to start with them, because you can get what you need pretty quickly, but I'd recommend once you're set up and going to move to some other companies - especially with paint purchases.

Watch ebay and other forums for deals on field packages and such. Lots of times, owners close down and just try to liquidate everything. You can save A LOT of money this way....

Good luck with it!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:03 PM

Wow that was pretty complete. Thanks for you writing time. Im planning to do this on the outskirts of town, trying to find a field accessible by public transportation. The first difficulty is finding the good field, but i have other steps to do before, like completing a business starting course... In canada there are some organizations helping the young entrepreneurs, ill go to them first to startup the whole process.

There's still one thing where im confused because you talked about getting the compressors, but it is only for HPA?

People says that HPA and Nitrogen is basically the same, then it works with a compressor, but can you compress CO2 yourself or is CO2 the only thing left to rent?
Old 05-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Has Been

May i suggest something?
I dont know if you have many fields near you, but if you go talk to that manager. If you become good enough buddies with him, then actually he may hook you up, and you all could start your business together....

Just an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

HPA and Nitro are the same thing, basically what you breathe all the time in the air. As such, a compressor is good for re-pressurizing Nitrogen/CA (compressed air) tanks, or just plain ol' filling tanks. Of course, it has to be one rated to fill to at the minimum of 3000 psi, a regular shop compressor won't work!

You can't use them to pressurize Co2 as it is a liquid. Compressing the liquid turns it into a gaseous state, thereby allowing it to be used as a propellant. However, the tank must have a DIP tube in it for it to be of use to fill tanks at a field - otherwise you have to turn it upside down.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:11 PM
not a nublet, sheesh.

Yeah, make sure you get a tank with a siphon tube.

Also, look out for wily welding supply shops, one of near me turned me down yesterday when I called about renting a 50lb tank. Said they didn't want liability, not there is one, but I'm not gonna start arguing with the guy...
Trinity Front block
IPS Sunbear Bolt
Dark Horizon titanium striker

Green/silver VSC CCI Phantom

Red/Black PMR SE