Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Tourney Talk > Players' Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Mo Anam Cara (friend of my soul)

Default Playing in a Kilt

I remember posting this in the last forum and I can't find it here
EDIT: Found the old thread -.- but I erased it because it was lacking in some important facts and I couldn't replace it with this one. This updated version required 2 consecutive posts because of Character limits. To the best of my knowledge, this is as accurate as I could find...Enjoy...

I saw another version of this somewhere...forget where...but if memory serves me, it was written by an author that didn't sound like a fellow Celt - more like - a wannabe. Here's my version...written a while ago for another forum. Since this is a MilSim desire played by us, the Scots and Irish were pivotal in many US/European conflicts. It wouldn't be true MilSim without us and 'gear' is important...enjoy...

Playing Paintball in a Kilt
-By Druid

Look around at your next tournament…see if you can find someone wearing one…chances are, you just might-

INTRODUCTION

I've been playing since 1986 and have seen quite a few articles with Kilt-wearing players. Everyone always posts questions regarding tactics, what marker to buy, what ‘ups’ to get, what's the best paint and so on…but never anything about wearing a Kilt in ‘battle.’ Since I’m of Celtic descent and have a Family Tartan (Modern Clan Young, shown in my Avatar and in the heading of this article), I thought I’d share some helpful hints and how to apply them to paintball.

Playing in a kilt, naturally, isn’t the same as playing in pants...or even shorts. There’s more freedom of movement than with pants as they are less restrictive in the knee and lower thigh area. The problem is…other players and the ridicule that they will provoke. Those that wear pants will call you all kinds of names…whatever…it takes a real man to wear kilt. Don’t let them dissuade you! YOU will be the UBER-COOL one on the field…sticking out over the others. Now, aside from MilSim, tourney players can benefit as well. You and your team can be ‘as good as’ or even the best of the bunch…but if there’s no real reason for someone to ‘look’ at you, you might just miss the chance of a sponsor’s search for a new team. If you look like every other team, you’ll be viewed like every other team…and ignored…just like the others. Sponsors are sometimes persuaded by a ‘neat and new twist’…this just might be your chance! I can’t attest to this in person as I am not sponsored but it’s worth a try. An added incentive is that the ladies’ become ‘curious’…now, to this, can attest ….

It takes a few special precautions when wearing a Kilt and I will spell them out for you here.

First, not all Kilts are made the same. Cheaply made Kilts that you often find are generally made from thinner woolen/blends. They are true Kilts but not of the best quality for us. Not to insult any person, heritage or store...but many Irish shops deal in these thinner quality Kilts and they sell for about $200 American dollars. They are thin and light and very suitable for formal "dress" and casual wear but not really acceptable for Paintball. These will tear easily, ruining the Kilt. Don't get caught up in the moment when choosing a Kilt - Never settle for second best.

A truly superb Kilt will be heavy, have thicker material and cost at least $800 American dollars.

These Kilts are sold in Light, Medium and Heavy wool fabrics (Light Weight (6-12 oz), Medium Weight (13-14 oz), and Heavy Weight (15-18 ounce). Light fabric is acceptable for hotter climates, Medium for Temperate Zones and Heavy is for very cold Climates. There is a 3 ½ yard to an 8 yard kilt. This, and the pleating in the back, determines how much material is put into its creation based upon the person's size (and pleat). I have a 38" waist which yields about 4 1/2 to 5 yards of material. My ideal Kilt has deep, "to the stripe" Pleats for a better "swing" which you see when marching bands are on parade. There are Pleats done to "the sett"...which repeats the tartan pattern as if it's not pleated...and to "The Stripe"...which pleats the back to the most bold stripe in the pattern. There are also "box pleats" but that's an oddball pleat that I know only a little bit about. Most military Kilts are pleated to the stripe because it's easier to accomplish in mass produced Kilts.

The more yards of material, the heavier it is and the more expensive it becomes. Wool gets heavy and it’s HOT in any season except late fall/winter. The Kilt is dual-layered in the front, while the pleats are at the rear. Basically, think of it in the terms of dividing the garment into thirds…one third is behind you and the other two are in the front.

A Scottish Kilt has a plaid pattern called a Tartan. The Tartan was a Clan's way of determining who was 'friend or foe' and identifying their own family members.

A Saffron Kilt is an Irish Kilt that is devoid of a plaid pattern. Generally, they are brown in color but I have seen them in Green, a Mustard-yellow color and Orange as well.

Most Scottish Kilts worn by the general public are considered a “District Tartan”…that is, the ‘every day’ plaid patterns that you see in ties, pants, dresses and skirts that can be worn by anybody. Royal Stewart (red based material) and Black Watch (green and blue based) are the most common District Tartans seen today. There is no written "law" saying that you can't wear a non-District Tartan...but you may be questioned on it from a Clan member that doesn't recognize you.

Another alternative to these are called Utili-Kilts or Sport Kilts. These are Kilts designed in the same manner as a regular Kilt but with different materials like Denim, leather or Jute and may have cargo pockets on them...or can be made from different color patterns like Camo, etc. You can see and order them UTILIKILTS here and SPORTKILTS here. You'll actually see these of the field more than a "dress" Tartan. Although I don't own one (yet ), I have one by AmeriKilt they are well made and pretty rugged.

DRESSING FOR THE OCCASION

First, you put on whatever top garment you are wearing…team Jersey, Tee-shirt, camo jacket, whatever you wear...then you take the Kilt and find the 3 or 4 sets of belts and buckles positioned on the sides. Open the Kilt all the way and position the pleated section behind you, even from hip-to-hip. This puts the center ‘third’ (pleated section) of the garment at your backside and that allows you to wrap one section (the second ‘third’) around the front of your body. There is a (set of) hole(s) on ones side of the Kilt with a (set of) buckle(s) behind it. Insert the belt(s) through the holes and secure it into the buckle(s). Next, wrap the last third around the front of you and secure the two belts into the buckles. Add the black. 2” wide belt into the belt loops above the pleats and buckle it. Now…adjust your shirt garment to your liking. The next thing you need to decide is if you are going “reg” (pronounced r-edge) or not…

(on to page 2 )

Last edited by druid : 02-02-2008 at 04:15 PM.