Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > Shop Talk - Reviews - Polls > Shop Talk > Custom Shop
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default Making your own lighter microswitch

Ok, since we can't seem to locate Dragon's old thread about this, I decided to make my own. I've done this several times, but you might need to practice a few times before you do this because if you bend it too much, it's very touchy! Of course, you can make it less touchy - it's trial and error, after all! Sorry for the blurriness of some of the pictures, but it's my crappy camera - yes, I had it on the flower thingy for up close pictures! Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

First of all, go here to follow Otter's instructions on how to install/remove a microswitch to get it out of your grip frame. I personally don't remove the switch since it's not necessarily important with this mod.

You'll need these tools to do the job. Hammer, nail punch (or nail, or something to remove the pins for the microswitch, needlenose pliers and an Xacto knife (or something thin enough to pry the cover off the switch.)

Ok, before we start, note that I (nor Kingman, nor anyone else for that matter,) am not responsible for anything that will happen with this modification. If you wanna do it, do it at your own risk, don't come whining about MY modification if you shoot someone's eye out.

Let's begin!

1. Tools you need: Hammer (I prefer a small finishing hammer, but any will do,) nail punch or a nail or whatever, pair of needle nose pliers and an Xacto knife, or something that has a thin enough tip.

2. Remove the grip frame from your gun using the allen wrench.

Then remove the grips. You'll need to remove the pin for the trigger and the two pins for the switch using the hammer and the punch.

3. Remove the trigger and pull the microswitch through the front of the grip frame. Here, you can decide if you want to remove it from the wires or leave it attached.

Now, for practicality purposes, I'm using a switch that has been completely removed from the wiring.

4. Using the Xacto knife, pry up the ears on the side of the switch - one on each side. Be careful not to cut yourself! Also, take your time, because there are 3 metal prongs, a spring and a button inside there. If you lose any of them, you have to buy a new switch.

5. Now, there are 3 ways to do this mod. You can bend one of two different prongs, or stretch the spring. DON'T stretch the spring! Once you stretch it, you can't compress it back to it's original size.

Note the prong on the far left side. You want to bend that just a bit so that it's at a bit of an angle. NOT TOO MUCH or your trigger will be extremely light. You can try to do it without removing the components, but I find it's quite a bit easier to just leave it inside the box. However, if you take the spring/prong/contact component out of the shell, make sure not to lose any of the pieces! Also, when reinstalling, make sure the contact is angled up. Personally, I'd just leave it in the shell and bend the contact with an allen wrench or the pliers.

6. You want to bend the top left prong just a smidge so that there's an angle when compared to the straight edge of prong. Not much, because it will make it too loose! Kind of like this:

_/_____l
l
l
l

Old 07-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Default Re: Making your own lighter microswitch

7. Now, take the prong on the right of the assembly out.

With your pliers, bend it DOWN just a smidge, again, not too much as the contact needs to move between the two.

Reinstall the prong. Push down on the button to see if you can hear a click. If you can't, you bent it too much and need to bend it back up a bit. Notice the angle in comparison to the rest of the switch - not too much, not too little.

8. To finish it up, snap the cover back onto the microswitch. MAKE SURE to have the contact plate pointing at an upward angle, if you removed it from the switch to bend the piece. Then resolder the microswitch back to the correct wires (per Otter's tutorial) and slide the switch back into the gun. Replace the switch pins and then reinstall the trigger.

Voila'! You have a lightened switch. Now, test it out. If it's TOO touchy, you need to go back into the switch and bend one of the contacts back out a little. As I said, it's going to take some experimentaion on your part, but it works, and you get to say you modded your own switch - and saved 5.00!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:27 AM
sna'foo.....um.....gesund heit

Nice Vik......couldn't have done it better myself -
KUSA Old School Alumni #4939

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius while feeling alone apposed to smiling adversaries....

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1201845216
Old 07-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Ah-roo! Ah-roo! Ah-roo!

Thank you!

Although, I learned it all from your previous thread on this. So, in a round about way, it's all because of you....Big props to my scaley moderator brother!

Ok, too sappy - get the hell out of here and go clean your house man! I can smell it here in Oklahoma!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:34 PM
===,,,> Go Noles!

one word of caution

be careful when soldering it shut...i melted the plastic case shut...boo
Old 07-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Fluent in Stroll

yay!! now we can actually link people when they ask about it. good job.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Skanking to the beat.
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Climb to the heavens on feathers and dreams
Because the melting point of wax means nothing to me.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:53 PM
not a nublet, sheesh.

Thanks Vike
Trinity Front block
IPS Sunbear Bolt
Dark Horizon titanium striker

Green/silver VSC CCI Phantom

Red/Black PMR SE
Old 09-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Official SOC Short Bus Crew

wow, now i know what i did wrong after all these years, i bent the middle prong, not the last one! thanks vike!
8/23/03 OS KUSA #10898
Spyder to pump conversion tutorial!
Project LP Reposted!

Sales Thread

Feedback

Quote:
(7:11:05 PM) Battlechaser: Did you just slaughter George Clooney and steal his mojo..?
"Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to think of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy."
- from Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Bruce Lee is God

i love it, thanks a bunch
Old 12-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Need to stop cluttering threads! argharag

thanks for this mod. i did it on my e99 avant and it is awesome.