Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Non-Paintball Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned

Default Drying Out Electronics

So long story short involving my 130lbs. dog, a screen on a window, cup of soda, and some remotes for my TV, DVD, Receiver, and X-box. I have not done anything yet but my friend told me to wash out the controllers that are sticky with water and suspend them over a bowl of salt and cover it with something to not allow the air to get in and out.

Concept: The salt will dry out the water fast enough to get rid of any remanding soda left behind and make the controllers work again. He has done it before (I have seen him) with his cell phone a couple times actaully, and it seems to work fine.

Anyone out there know of a better way or will this work?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 AM
My money is going into my car. What's paintball?

Default Re: Drying Out Electronics

Completely dismantle the controllers, take out the buttons and wash them off, take out all the parts that cant get wet and take a mildly damp cloth/paper towel and wipe it off. Leave the controlers out to dry on a paper towel and just make sure not to get any luiquid on the electronics.

The problem with salt is that it will leave residue on the controler and will eat away at it. Same as it does to metal. So your screws WILL become rusty if you leave it in salt. (First hand experience)

I have had cola spilled into my PS2 controllers before and I have had to rip them apart numerous times to repair/clean them. I have never tried it with an X-box controller before though.

_____EDIT_______

Oh you said suspend above... Idk if that will do anything more then what normal air would do. With the TV and DVD remotes, see if you can take those apart too. Some of the more expencive ones you usually can unscrew, others you might have to pry/pop open. Your not going to get rid of the stickyness by just whiping off the surface. The buttons are still going to stick on the inside because there is a rubber layer with the key pads on them. This rubber layer is in there because people know that stuff like this happens alot and its to protect the circut board. The only way you really clean it is to dismantle it.

Quote:
armedfuture (3:14:56 AM): they get upset easy when you use big words like "rental" and "air"
Old 07-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Marine Corps.

Go with what Ace said, since the electronics might be sticky if you just suspend it over salt.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Here, there, everywhere!

drying it out is only as important as cleaning it out/off
almost all liquids have sticky stuff in them.....
tear it down, clean and dry everything, let air final dry and reassemble...
anything else is a wives tale......
Member #12

"Your marker cannot harm me...I'm the Juggernaut!!"
KUSA Feedback +56/-0
New PBN Feedback +20/-0
Old PBN Feedback +92/-0
Old 07-18-2006, 06:59 PM
===,,,> Go Noles!

yeah, i say dissasemble it, wipe it off, then use a hairdryer (faster) and then put it all back together
Old 07-19-2006, 04:26 PM

put it in a bag of rice. that will suck the moisture out. my friends dad got his phone soaked at work, and he put it in a bag of rice for a few days and it has worked fine since.
2k2 OSKUSA.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Banned

Ok...Well the job is done and what I did was take apart each controller (only my x-box controller actually got soda in it.) I wiped down the circut board (also took the time to use a high grit sand paper to clean off all the contacts) and washed out all the non-electric parts and let dry. I reassembled the controller and it actually works better than before. I am kinda glad that I didn't use the salt thing. Who knows what would have happened. Thanks guys.