Spyder Forums  

Go Back   Spyder Forums > General Spyder Discussion > Veteran Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Spyder Addict

Default Calling all fathers!!! I need advice!!!

I was at my local shop today and a guy on there staff team comes up and says hey I hear you have a 6 year old...of course the proud papa I am, I'm like hell yeah check her out...she loves golf and paintball...yadda yadda yadda...he says mine turns 6 on monday...

AND he says why don't we put these two together on a midget kids team...I laugh it off...first I have never heard of anyone under 8 playing second the wife would never ever ever go for it.

Uh...MY WIFE WENT FOR IT.

She thinks it's a great idea!!! WHERE IS THE WOMAN I MARRIED?

If there is a "youth league" that young...would you let your 6 year old play?

I can only assume you would use brittle paint and a low velocity?

My world is upside down...My wife went for this...I'm speechless...not to mention a six year old who over heard everything and wants to know what gun she'll shoot!!!!!

Someone out there give this Dad some direction!
05 Pilot ACS - SPPS Dragon tail trigger, 50 gram switch, CCM feedneck, ACP Bolt, Sticky 3's, Trinity -7 deg. V/A, Rocket Valve, DH Titanium Striker, BL Torp., T board w/ Eyes, Cp Direct Mount On/Off, 275 fps@250 psi

VS2

Black to Olive PM6

"All men have fear. The brave ones lay it down and go forward...some unto death but all to victory!" - Kings Guard of Ancient Greece

OLD FART CLUB MEMBER
My Feedback
Old 03-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Has Been

Default Re: Calling all fathers!!! I need advice!!!

Isnt there a law or something that you have to be atleast 9?
atleast thats the way where I live. I would try to wait a few years, or atleast make your daughter learn the rules, and the importance of following them.

EDIT:
the last thing we need is another one of these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5DQdxX6ttU

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I didn't do it...No witnesses survived

I'd do it. Especially since it would be all kids her same age/size. That would eliminate a lot of the danger posed by older/more aggressive players.

Make her play pump.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to
go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will"
Ronald Reagan
Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Spyder Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
Make her play pump.
That's funny...did I mention the kid walks a trigger...the joys of father hood. (Before I get a lecture...she know she has to have ALL her safety gear on BEFORE touching a gun even w/o a tank)
05 Pilot ACS - SPPS Dragon tail trigger, 50 gram switch, CCM feedneck, ACP Bolt, Sticky 3's, Trinity -7 deg. V/A, Rocket Valve, DH Titanium Striker, BL Torp., T board w/ Eyes, Cp Direct Mount On/Off, 275 fps@250 psi

VS2

Black to Olive PM6

"All men have fear. The brave ones lay it down and go forward...some unto death but all to victory!" - Kings Guard of Ancient Greece

OLD FART CLUB MEMBER
My Feedback
Old 03-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I Like Me

yeah, every insurance waiver ive seen requires that the person be at least 10yrs old to play. might want to check it out. personally, i think its a little young to be playing, but i suppose with all yours close supervision and velocities turned down you could get away with it in your own personal renegade field.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Spyder Vet

The primary reason (I was told) that 10 years old is the minimum age is that:
1- masks don't fit correctly and snugly on smaller heads
2-prior to 10 there isn't enough developed musculature and/or fat to sustane a paintball hit without undue trauma.
But beyond that, I wouldn't trust too young of a child to fully grasp the reprecussions of not following safety procedures.
BTW, my oldest boy played a few games at 9 but starts his first real year of paintball this year at 10 1/2.
These colors will never run.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:32 PM
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_Bravo View Post
2-prior to 10 there isn't enough developed musculature and/or fat to sustane a paintball hit without undue trauma.
But beyond that, I wouldn't trust too young of a child to fully grasp the reprecussions of not following safety procedures.
BTW, my oldest boy played a few games at 9 but starts his first real year of paintball this year at 10 1/2.
I can see the mask thing playing a role..

but have you heard of PADDING? stuff a few pillows under their shirt and send them out to battle!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_Bravo View Post
On your first mark you sort of have a point, on a general masks, however there are masks that will fit a kids head.
On point #2, don't try and talk biology and development, because take it from a bio major, you have NO idea what you are talking about.

In florida, the waver must be signed by a parent or guardian of at least 21 years old, or 18 to sign your own.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Has Been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter1277 View Post
On point #2, don't try and talk biology and development, because take it from a bio major, you have NO idea what you are talking about.
just on a side note, wouldnt a kid who is younger have an easier time with getting hit, because of all the extra cartelidge in their body making a better cushion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDeskHustler View Post
It just occurred to me that "bad company" may be a terrible name for a team sponsored by only one company.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossy View Post
just on a side note, wouldnt a kid who is younger have an easier time with getting hit, because of all the extra cartelidge in their body making a better cushion?
huh? no...

The only cartilage that is present only in kids is some in the hand and foot, otherwise at birth the rest of the skeleton(aside from the head) has hardened, however it is hylain cartilage which is quite bendable and absorbs shock quite well(in adults it is present in the knee and spine to absorb shock). However, in an adult, there is so much dense irregular connective tissue in the hands(the muscles of the fingers are located in the forearm) that most shock is absorbed that way. Between a 6 year old body and an adult body's ability to absorb the shock of a paintball there is little physical difference. The only difference would be mental, in which an adult may be able to take more than a kid, however, many adults can't take it, while I've seen 7 year olds with absolutely no fear.