Thread: Soc Gdt
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 07:35 PM
THE GAME

Default Re: Soc Gdt

Definitely. They have motivated a few good changes (wayland, lightdm) but their lack of documentation on these efforts almost makes it not worth it. Not to mention: Bzr/Launchpad is atrocious.

I don't use evolution, I'm a thunderbird guy. Flash actually has a Linux 64-bit specific edition recently... but when is it not buggy? It works as expected 99% of the time for me.

For OSX/Windows tasks I'm talking solely about Power-user activities. No plug and play stuff. For the sake of argument, I'll list the issues that I've come across in Windows.

* Multiple audio inputs, channels and outputs that are easy to manage. Windows Audio manager just doesn't cut it. In Linux, I'd use JACK and I can make digital wires between devices, channels and programs. I can make the audio input for mumble/skype a be the output from a digital audio filter program. I can output audio from mumble over headphones to one channel of my 7.1 headphones and play music over the others, or even over the speakers. OSX may have this because they market to music people pretty heavily, but I doubt it has the stock functionality of JACK without buying a whole suite. Best part? JACK is a daemon.

* Change the tiling scheme for Windows. I could use AwesomeWM, wmii, Xmonad, compiz to name a few. Never been easier to tweak how my windows take up the space on my screen properly.

* Visually modify my login animation, login screen etc to my heart's extent. Windows has some $40 software and some 1-time use utilities to do this, but not nearly to the extent of Plymouth and LightDM. Here's a lightDM login screen with doom sprites to demonstrate it's ability: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/09/3...-pretty-slick/

* BASH vs DOS/CMD/Powershell. Ugh. I can't even tell you how many times it ignores path, pwd or just can't find programs and commands. It's almost impossible to be a windows python developer without the use of IDLE (god forbid) or an IDE. Obviously windows exclusive.

* MPD vs *. if you're not using MPD, you don't know what you're missing. It stands for Music Player Daemon, and I've got one set up with a simple web interface to stream music through a web interface to wherever I am. Forget pandora, I can log in to any smart device and play my own library remotely, on multiple channels.

* Software RAID, LVM, LUKS. It's not really fair to Linux that these are all one, but Truecrypt has (almost) nothing on LUKS, and frankly the software raid and virtual volumes on Windows is laughable.

* Block/Meta Journaling file systems, hard deletion and data recovery. I run a lot of hard-deletion data recovery for people. It's never been trivially easy except on Linux, Block Journaling seems to make tools for recovery faster and better than metadata-only journaling does.

I rarely use KDE. I'd likely own an air(probably dualbooted) or IBM thinkpad if my job paid for a laptop. Tablet would be thinkpad tab or iPad, but I'm an android fan regardless of cost. As far as jobs go I'm looking to get into software/hardware job from the standpoint that I rarely build hardware but frequently interact directly with it. Kernel development, debugging, compilers and assembly turn me on. I have my parents set up on a REMOTE Debian machine, so I understand the importance of having some stability. It seems like all of their problems were superficial and "growing pains", because as soon as I had it setup for SSH, they had no more issues.

Fedora is awesome now. Gnome3 works pretty well. At first it bothered me, but I realized it wasn't the same annoyances I had with Unity. I genuinely hate Unity, I just wasn't used to Gnome3. It changes workflow a bit, but on a laptop or single screen setup it seems to work well. You will almost definitely need to install VBox Guest additions to get it to work normally though. I don't recall if my VBox Fedora gave me issues when attempting to install Guest additions. I know there was one distro that did.