Thread: Camera gear
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Respected Player

Default Re: Camera gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred76 View Post
I use a simple, cheap UV filter when shooting paintball simply for the dirt and grime. If it gets hit with a ball and breaks, I'm pretty screwed. Gotta float the pieces off the front element with water and carefully get them off. It isn't going to protect the front element from a dumbass bunkering my camera dead-on, though. I think it's going to cost me a couple bills to have the lens recoated, but eh... oh well. That's a couple days' pay. I'll also have the focus adjusted while it's in for ****s and giggles.

He has the F/2.8L. No IS. Thank God he doesn't either, because that adds at least another half a pound. Pointless, too. You don't get a 2.8 lens then have to turn on IS.... If you do, a better value would be a flash/tripod and breathing control. Oh, or a body that can do a clean ISO 1000 or above set to Manual.
Ok I bought a filter I just wasn't sure if I should use it for that or not. Can't do much about it, beats buying a new lens.

For sports I don't really see the point of IS. Plus getting an IS lens is so expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob Hayward View Post
Eh, I don't care how fast your lens is, IS is still nice to have.. 2.8 isn't overwhelmingly fast either. I mean its really solid for the focal length and the fact that its a zoom but yeah, if you want to stop it down the IS is certainly handy to have.

The SMC Takumar 50/1.4 is supposed to be excellent, its actually got mildly radioactive thorium glass in it.. kinda cool. My copy isn't the best because I took a chance on an ebay auction with a sold as is policy. Terrrrrible fungus, I took it apart though and cleaned it completely, only issue now is the coating on the front element is damaged in a few places but whatever..

Yeah I meant to say USM for the 24-85, but my favorite part of USM is FTM.

Lenses that I can actually afford that I would like to get:

EF 50/1.4
EF 85/1.8
EF 28/1.8
These three are all USM, and relatively inexpensive for their performance. Also I love fast lenses..

andddd my dream lens is the EF 24/1.4 II L
The first two lenses I heard were great. I would probably end up getting a Canon 50 F/1.4 but I have heard alot of good things about the 85 F/1.8