Spyder Forums

Spyder Forums (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/index.php)
-   Non-Paintball Topics (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   engineering problem (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=9721)

CantInjaDisNinja 03-08-2007 10:51 AM

engineering problem

Hey Im a student at UCF and I have been assigned a problem to make a non-RC boat to make a trip around my schools fountain. The course makes a semi-circle(half an oval). The problem are how to propell it, and how to steer it without a remote control. What I really need your guys help on is how to propell it. My idea is to strap my 12oz CO2 tank to the back of the hull that I will construct myself. The problem is that how do I open my CO2 tank and leave it open to give my boat constant thrust? or is it even possible? or will it be too much thrust and make my boat airborne?

Also there cant be any guide lines from the shore. Once your boat starts moving it is on its own. Just post here if you have questions, ill try to include pics on the project

colonel_moo 03-08-2007 11:32 AM

Re: engineering problem

you can just use an on/off, that way you can at least kinda control how much thrust you have. you can use either one with a bleed valve, or just secure some macroline point backward.

VS3 Sniper 03-08-2007 12:10 PM

Could u put a reg with a micro line coming out the back. So that the pressure would be constant. How big is the boat gonna be?

Halucin8 03-08-2007 12:55 PM

well i assume the fountain is round and you should be able to put a keel on it that will give you a constant left turn for steering. just mess with your angles. If your stuck on using the co2 that will take some practice with how much propulsion you will need. but you can use a on/off like said ealier or you could give your self a controlled leak out of an asa hole. soem are down and others go out the side. or you might be able to get the parts at ahardware store to put a peticock valve onit that you can screw in or out to adjust your flow and put a nozzle on it to help direct it a little better.

durrell 03-08-2007 04:15 PM

I had the same idea as halucin8 about the keel. I was thinking to just put a rudder and position it where it will go all the way around the fountain at the same angle.

As far as power goes, it's going to be hard to figure out how much thrust you need and how to control it to use as a propellant. Not to mention a 12oz. co2 tank is very heavy. When you say RC, does that mean no electricity or it can be electric and just not remote controlled?

badlandsrox 03-08-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halucin8
asa hole.

Haha, sorry, that was just too funny:D

DFSniper 03-09-2007 06:55 AM

hmm, instead of using a 12oz, try one of the Spare-Air tanks (they should still sell them at walmart) and attach the on/off valve to that. it would be lighter than a 12oz catalina tank...

CantInjaDisNinja 03-13-2007 01:34 PM

Well I only have a $50 budget, and the tank has set me back $20. THe hull can be as big as I want it. Also my tank had a bleed valve out of the side. That on/ off swtich idea seems like it would work, my freind already has one on his imagine so Ill guess ill borrow that and test it out