Spyder Forums

Spyder Forums (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/index.php)
-   Players' Talk (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Playing in a Kilt (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=8145)

druid 12-27-2006 10:06 PM

Playing in a Kilt

I remember posting this in the last forum and I can't find it here
EDIT: Found the old thread -.- but I erased it because it was lacking in some important facts and I couldn't replace it with this one. This updated version required 2 consecutive posts because of Character limits. To the best of my knowledge, this is as accurate as I could find...Enjoy...

I saw another version of this somewhere...forget where...but if memory serves me, it was written by an author that didn't sound like a fellow Celt - more like - a wannabe. Here's my version...written a while ago for another forum. Since this is a MilSim desire played by us, the Scots and Irish were pivotal in many US/European conflicts. It wouldn't be true MilSim without us and 'gear' is important...enjoy...

Playing Paintball in a Kilt
-By Druid

Look around at your next tournament…see if you can find someone wearing one…chances are, you just might-

INTRODUCTION

I've been playing since 1986 and have seen quite a few articles with Kilt-wearing players. Everyone always posts questions regarding tactics, what marker to buy, what ‘ups’ to get, what's the best paint and so on…but never anything about wearing a Kilt in ‘battle.’ Since I’m of Celtic descent and have a Family Tartan (Modern Clan Young, shown in my Avatar and in the heading of this article), I thought I’d share some helpful hints and how to apply them to paintball.

Playing in a kilt, naturally, isn’t the same as playing in pants...or even shorts. There’s more freedom of movement than with pants as they are less restrictive in the knee and lower thigh area. The problem is…other players and the ridicule that they will provoke. Those that wear pants will call you all kinds of names…whatever…it takes a real man to wear kilt. Don’t let them dissuade you! YOU will be the UBER-COOL one on the field…sticking out over the others. Now, aside from MilSim, tourney players can benefit as well. You and your team can be ‘as good as’ or even the best of the bunch…but if there’s no real reason for someone to ‘look’ at you, you might just miss the chance of a sponsor’s search for a new team. If you look like every other team, you’ll be viewed like every other team…and ignored…just like the others. Sponsors are sometimes persuaded by a ‘neat and new twist’…this just might be your chance! I can’t attest to this in person as I am not sponsored but it’s worth a try. An added incentive is that the ladies’ become ‘curious’…now, to this, can attest :D ….

It takes a few special precautions when wearing a Kilt and I will spell them out for you here.

First, not all Kilts are made the same. Cheaply made Kilts that you often find are generally made from thinner woolen/blends. They are true Kilts but not of the best quality for us. Not to insult any person, heritage or store...but many Irish shops deal in these thinner quality Kilts and they sell for about $200 American dollars. They are thin and light and very suitable for formal "dress" and casual wear but not really acceptable for Paintball. These will tear easily, ruining the Kilt. Don't get caught up in the moment when choosing a Kilt - Never settle for second best.

A truly superb Kilt will be heavy, have thicker material and cost at least $800 American dollars.

These Kilts are sold in Light, Medium and Heavy wool fabrics (Light Weight (6-12 oz), Medium Weight (13-14 oz), and Heavy Weight (15-18 ounce). Light fabric is acceptable for hotter climates, Medium for Temperate Zones and Heavy is for very cold Climates. There is a 3 ½ yard to an 8 yard kilt. This, and the pleating in the back, determines how much material is put into its creation based upon the person's size (and pleat). I have a 38" waist which yields about 4 1/2 to 5 yards of material. My ideal Kilt has deep, "to the stripe" Pleats for a better "swing" which you see when marching bands are on parade. There are Pleats done to "the sett"...which repeats the tartan pattern as if it's not pleated...and to "The Stripe"...which pleats the back to the most bold stripe in the pattern. There are also "box pleats" but that's an oddball pleat that I know only a little bit about. Most military Kilts are pleated to the stripe because it's easier to accomplish in mass produced Kilts.

The more yards of material, the heavier it is and the more expensive it becomes. Wool gets heavy and it’s HOT in any season except late fall/winter. The Kilt is dual-layered in the front, while the pleats are at the rear. Basically, think of it in the terms of dividing the garment into thirds…one third is behind you and the other two are in the front.

A Scottish Kilt has a plaid pattern called a Tartan. The Tartan was a Clan's way of determining who was 'friend or foe' and identifying their own family members.

A Saffron Kilt is an Irish Kilt that is devoid of a plaid pattern. Generally, they are brown in color but I have seen them in Green, a Mustard-yellow color and Orange as well.

Most Scottish Kilts worn by the general public are considered a “District Tartan”…that is, the ‘every day’ plaid patterns that you see in ties, pants, dresses and skirts that can be worn by anybody. Royal Stewart (red based material) and Black Watch (green and blue based) are the most common District Tartans seen today. There is no written "law" saying that you can't wear a non-District Tartan...but you may be questioned on it from a Clan member that doesn't recognize you.

Another alternative to these are called Utili-Kilts or Sport Kilts. These are Kilts designed in the same manner as a regular Kilt but with different materials like Denim, leather or Jute and may have cargo pockets on them...or can be made from different color patterns like Camo, etc. You can see and order them UTILIKILTS here and SPORTKILTS here. You'll actually see these of the field more than a "dress" Tartan. Although I don't own one (yet :D ), I have one by AmeriKilt they are well made and pretty rugged.

DRESSING FOR THE OCCASION

First, you put on whatever top garment you are wearing…team Jersey, Tee-shirt, camo jacket, whatever you wear...then you take the Kilt and find the 3 or 4 sets of belts and buckles positioned on the sides. Open the Kilt all the way and position the pleated section behind you, even from hip-to-hip. This puts the center ‘third’ (pleated section) of the garment at your backside and that allows you to wrap one section (the second ‘third’) around the front of your body. There is a (set of) hole(s) on ones side of the Kilt with a (set of) buckle(s) behind it. Insert the belt(s) through the holes and secure it into the buckle(s). Next, wrap the last third around the front of you and secure the two belts into the buckles. Add the black. 2” wide belt into the belt loops above the pleats and buckle it. Now…adjust your shirt garment to your liking. The next thing you need to decide is if you are going “reg” (pronounced r-edge) or not…

(on to page 2 :D )

druid 12-27-2006 10:06 PM

Re: Playing in a Kilt

"REGIMENTAL…"

Anyone who wears a Military or Family Tartan Kilt knows that you must wear it in the "regimental" style…or “run reg (pronounced r-edge).” This means that you wear NO underwear or ANY type of undergarment at all. This in itself can pose some unique problems to the paintballer…

TIPS ON GOING ‘REG…’

WATCH WHERE YOU SQUAT!!
If you are the unlucky one who has the field owner that doesn’t cut underbrush all the way to the ground, a squat or crouch can put the underbrush in a place you don’t want it. Sticks, twigs and broken branches have a way of cropping up at the worst times…and in the worst places. God help you if you encounter poison ivy, sumac or even the Scottish Thistle!

DON’T CRAWL!!
I suggest you play in the standing position. No one behind you wants to see what’s up your kilt. This can also provide some problems with any ladies that may be behind you or spectators in the stands. The snake or zipper + a Kilt = a bad combination if you are ‘reg.’

KEEP YOUR KNEES TOGETHER!!
If you feel the need to squat or crouch, keeping your knees together may just keep that ‘bounce’ off the ground from getting “up-and-in-there”…if you know what I mean...

STAY OUT OF THE BRIARS!!
Yeah, the other players are laughing at the distraction of you in a Kilt but since those wussies are wearing pants, they’re not bleeding to death from a thousand thorn scratches on their bare legs. Travel into briars or wild roses and you will look like a litter of kittens ran laps up and down your legs.

GET A SPORRAN!!
A sporran is the original “groin protector” hanging on the front of the Kilt. In its original version, it was several layers of waxed animal hide, laminated together. Now it serves a primarily decorative function but regardless, it is suspended in front of you by a chain with leather belt tips. There are two belt loops on the pleated panel of the Kilt. Feed the two ends through them and secure them. There are two versions of a sporran:
The military versions are normally adorned with Silver or chrome, semi-precious or precious stones, decorative studding, locks of horse hair and tassels. Typically, there is no pocket or pouch. This version is unsuitable for paintball purposes except as groin protection.

The other version resembles a muzzle loader’s leather “Possible Bag” -- that is, it looks like a plain, all-leather pouch with a cover flap. There can be embossing and/or plain leather tassels attached…whatever…but this one’s a ‘pouch’ style. This is an excellent choice for us because it’s extremely useful for storing barrel bags, flex-squeegees, smokes, stock-class tubes, Dow 33….whatever. It serves a third purpose of holding down the front of your kilt.

SITTING!!
When guys sit down to rest, they tend to sit with their knees apart. Well, in a Kilt, this can become a problem. Not for a ‘lack of pride’ but the term ‘out of sight, out of mind’ comes to forethought. You won’t realize that you are flashing the entire area until it’s too late. Cross your feet at the ankles to keep from ‘violating’ people’s vision.

Another problem is that when you sit in a Kilt, the back panel tends to ‘fold up’ like an accordion underneath you…leaving your bare ‘bottom’ exposed to whatever you are going to sit on. A metal bleacher seat roasting in the sun can leave a nice burn and wooden park benches provide nice toothpick-sized splinters in spots you don’t want them…and where others won’t go near, to remove. Picture a lady in a skirt that’s getting ready to sit. She takes her hand and sweeps the skirt towards her knees-this is what needs to be done to sit in a Kilt.

NON-REGIMENTAL
If you are worried about offending someone…or are just plain-old SCARED…put on a pair of swimming trunks or slider shorts underneath the Kilt.

TRADITIONAL CELTIC ACCESSORIES

Sporran – Is described above and is extremely useful, as well as functional.

Black accessory belt with buckle – Is described above but the original purpose was to hold the scabbard for a Dirk. A Dirk is a Scottish short-sword but for paintballing purposes, it will help hold your Kilt in place, as well as accept belt-less pod packs, renegade air pouches or other similar equipment bags.

Hose - Typically, knitted wool socks or ‘hose’ are worn with a Kilt. This will do nothing more than attract burrs, briars and help in overheating your body. The accessory that goes with the wool hose are ‘flashes.’ These are the colored tabs on the sides. Again, this is a useless accessory that is a waste of money for our purposes.

Sgian Dubh - means “Black Knife” and it is typically seen in the hose of the Kilted male. Originally hidden in the man's tunic, it was their "pocket knife: and used for cutting dinner, odd jobs and yes...hand-to-hand combat. When they would visit friends in that friend’s home, it was revealed and inserted into the hose as a sign of respect and non-malice towards the host. Obviously, there is no need for this on a paintball field.

Kilt pin – Allows you to pin the lower corner of the front-most panel to the panel underneath it…limiting the amount of ‘flap’ the front panel will have without it. A male’s Kilt pin is normally a depiction of a sword or broad-axe with a pin-backing, it may even have a broadsword and broad axe crossed. Perhaps it could look like mine, a Clan Crest - and a lady’s Kilt pin resembles a very large and plain safety pin.

Tunic - Is generally a military term for a jacket-like garment. Simplified, in 1776, we referred to the British as the "Red Coats." Their coat is a tunic. It can be single or double breasted, depending on Circa but for the most part, double-breasted tunics were very, very common. Single and double-breasted jackets are much like a suit jacket you would wear to a semi-formal function. "Single" just buttons in the center/front and a "double" buttons on the left and right sides of your body. Again, an expensive option if that's what you want to wear on the field.

Plaid (pronounced played) - Original Kilts were one long, toga-looking things called the "Great Kilt.' It wrapped around the body and then flung over the one shoulder. It was your tent, blanket, pillow and rain poncho all rolled into one. Current Traditional Kilts have been separated from the plaid. The new Plaid is a long, layered band of material about 8" wide and about 8-10 feet long. It starts at the left shoulder, wraps diagonally around the back to the right arm-pit, under the right arm and diagonally across the chest to the left shoulder and pinned in place with a Broach. The Plaid is then opened to create sort of a "cape" over the left shoulder and you see these on Military bands on parade. Obviously, it will hinder us in Paintball by getting caught on everything in the woods...but it's a nice addition to the Dress uniform.

Glengarry - the soft wool black cap that reminds you on the Navy Officer's pointed cover. It has a cap badge of the regiment and a Hackle (feather).

Balmoral - Also referred to as a Tamisham or "Tam" for short, looks like an adaptation of a French Beret. Um...I don't like them...lol.

Feather Bonnet - Mostly seen on Drum Majors because the Ostrich feathers make it around $900 US or more.

A complete Uniform can run upwards from $2000-$6000 depending on your authenticity and accessories used.

I also play the bagpipes. My stand is a set of Lawrie pipes that I had carbon dated (by Martin Guitar, Nazareth, PA) to 'pre-1900.' Obviously, I don't take them to the field but having a boom-box or loud speaker system playing 78th Frasier Highlanders, Glasgow Police Pipe Band or The Black Watch gives an awesome effect. Leave Enya and Phil Coultier at home or you might fall asleep in the middle of a battle

SUGGESTED PAINTBALL RELATED ACCESSORIES

Gel-type knee pads and/or shin guards, over knee-length tube socks and cleats. Also, a stick-Squeegee in a leg-scabbard would be a good idea.
Redz Packs should slip right over the black accessory belt but may exhibit some ‘up and down’ play because of the difference in the belt width-to the belt slot-differences in the pack.

TheRedBarron 12-31-2006 12:14 AM

You scare me. /story.

paintsplat242 12-31-2006 05:30 AM

I think I'm going to use your stratagies and play in a kilt *n*o*t* lol anyway good information for those bagpipe-playing paintball players

bamf-hacker 12-31-2006 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRedBarron
You scare me. /story.

QFT //story!!!

08Lud08 12-31-2006 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by druid
TIPS ON GOING ‘REG…’

WATCH WHERE YOU SQUAT!!
If you are the unlucky one who has the field owner that doesn’t cut underbrush all the way to the ground, a squat or crouch can put the underbrush in a place you don’t want it. Sticks, twigs and broken branches have a way of cropping up at the worst times…and in the worst places. God help you if you encounter poison ivy, sumac or even the Scottish Thistle!

Wow anyone is crazy if they went regimental. I would think your crazy if you wore a kilt in paintball.

tater_salad 12-31-2006 12:20 PM

I where a kilt about %90 of the time but never while playing paintball I will have to try that next time I go out and play. The %10 percent of the time I'm not wearing one is because my mother won't let me where any of them to school not even my nicest one.

I buy all my kilts from WWW.SCOTLANDSHOPDIRECT.COM

But all there prices are in United Kingdom Pounds and you can use this to see how much it would be in American Dollars http://www.concierge.com/tools/currency

DRAGON 12-31-2006 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRedBarron
You scare me. /story.

Don't fret untill he claims, "It's my ****in island!!!" - ;)

druid 01-01-2007 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRAGON
Don't fret untill he claims, "It's my ****in island!!!" - ;)

It's not my island...it's my planet. The island is just where my seat of power is :D ...and my seat is warm

paintsplat242 01-01-2007 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by druid
It's not my island...it's my planet. The island is just where my seat of power is :D ...and my seat is warm

Wow. Now that's scary