Spyder Forums

Spyder Forums (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/index.php)
-   General Spyder Forum (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Newbie in paintball (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=430)

gfwoody00 01-03-2006 01:40 PM

Newbie in paintball

i just got the kingman spyder xtra and i am kinda stumped on how to change the velocity on it. i know it has a thumb abjust but i dont know what it does and it doesnt seem to change the speed. any help would be great. thanks

durrell 01-03-2006 01:42 PM

Re: Newbie in paintball

You will most likely need a spring kit, such as the 32* Spring Kit to change the velocity because the factory springs tend to be a little stiff. If you want to home modify your spring, you can clip it until it gets short enough for the desired velocity. Welcome to the boards! :wave:

TheRedBarron 01-03-2006 01:48 PM

:yeahthat: get a spring kit that should take care of your problems.

Welcome to the best place under WWW.

gfwoody00 01-03-2006 07:16 PM

so is it the looser the spring the faster the velocity. or is it the other way around. and why do they come like this. thanks

leed 01-03-2006 07:29 PM

heavier spring, higher velocity, but also more gas usage. I'm pretty sure of this... Unless physics failed me..

Drefish99 01-03-2006 08:01 PM

Heavier or firmer main spring and Lighter valve will = more velocity because the cup seal will be open for a lot longer. I would recommend investing in a regulator so you can control some of that input pressure. Good luck and welcome to the boards.

durrell 01-03-2006 08:08 PM

In laymans terms (something you can understand), a shorter spring = less velocity, because there's less tension between the striker and the velocity adjuster.

OtterSC 01-04-2006 04:49 AM

as everybody mentioned, screwing in the adjustor will create more tension on the main spring. this will hit the valve open harder and will stay open longer. because it is open longer, more air is released and higher velocity.

unscrewing the adjustor will have the opposite results. less tension on the main spring to force the valve open. the valve is open less. therefore, less air is released.

some may suggest cutting a loop or two from the valve spring, then stretching the spring to original size. this will work in increasing the velocity. however, this will significantly weaken the spring and over time, will be a useless spring.

i suggest a spring kit. particularly a 32degree kit. these have 9 springs. though, only 6 are useable for your maker. 3 are for the main spring replacement. 3 are for the valve spring replacement. here is a run down as to what they will do.

Valve spring replacement:
strong spring = lower velocity
medium spring = stock spring velocity
weak spring = higher velocity

Main spring replacement:
strong spring = high velocity
weak spring = lower velocity

*no problem mixing combos of springs in the marker to get desired effect.

bamf-hacker 01-04-2006 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OtterSC
Valve spring replacement:
strong spring = lower velocity
weak spring = higher velocity

Main spring replacement:
strong spring = high velocity
weak spring = lower velocity

*no problem mixing combos of springs in the marker to get desired effect.

Good Info Otter!

HacKeR