Spyder Forums

Spyder Forums (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/index.php)
-   Picture and Video Pages (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Got myself a Metadyne Thumper (No. #157) (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=21990)

VagabondStarJXF 11-02-2011 11:17 AM

Got myself a Metadyne Thumper (No. #157)

I liked the look of this marker when I first saw it but I was way too late for the pre-order. Then I started reading up on it and the difficult birth it's had. I was kinda put off to be completely honest. Then, after a lot of unnessesary stressful times I've had recently, I needed some retail therapy (Hey. If it's a good enough excuse for the ladies then I'm all for equality...). Thus it was time to start reading hundreds of posts about the way it's being/been resolved. I was happy with what I'd read so I started looking for one for myself. I can't afford the price of a new one so I looked around for a used one. I saw a few for sale nice 'n cheap, missed a couple because of lack of funds, then saw this one at a reasonable price on PBN.

I pm'd the seller and waited patiently. The seller I bought it from is living in England but was in Sicily when he got my pm's (I think he's in the US Army). Fortunately he was due to return to England a few days later so I jumped on it. He got back on Monday, shipped it yesterday and I got it in my hands today. He even threw in a J&J barrel which I wasn't expecting. He told me that it has had the internals updated and, as you can see from the pics, it has the open class adapter, CCM feedneck, 45 Frame and both sides have the thumb cocking plates. There isn't the stock class feed tube or stock barrel but that's ok. I've already sent an email to Metadyne to see how much these bits are (if they're available).

It was a bit gunked up with Dow55 grease but it seemed to stick a little when cocking. Not a bother to me but there was a problem with the safety that would've been a bother. It was jammed full open so I wouldn't be able to use it at my usual paintball field. This meant I had to take the trigger frame apart and clean out the grease to fix the safety. Now, strangely, the marker seems to cock without that sticking it had. I'd even say it cocked a little more smoothly than before too. Very Strange.

Anyways, seeing as the whole thing would probably do well from a complete strip and degrease, I figure that I could get this marker re-anodised before I reassemble it. I was thinking of copper or bronze. What do y'all think?

TheDarkShadow 11-02-2011 12:52 PM

Re: Got myself a Metadyne Thumper (No. #157)

I feel out of the loop, I've never even heard of that. a copper or bronze anno would look cool

HelpDeskHustler 11-02-2011 09:47 PM

It's a pump where the barrel is the pump... it's pretty hot. I think there are at least 3 hand positions to pump this beauty -- the barrel, the thumb area on the pump bar and the back block. If I still played I might look into it.

VagabondStarJXF 11-03-2011 12:19 AM

It's really small too. I have small to medium sized hands and I'm able to comfortably hold the marker in my right hand, pump the back plate with my thumb and shoot without needing to stabilise the marker with my left. The balance is a bit front heavy with a normal length barrel (e.g. 14"-16"), even with a semi light barrel like the J&J, but with a shorter one (e.g. 8") the marker balances nicely. I think I'd like to add a T2W stock to see how it feels.

Ace24 11-03-2011 04:37 PM

Whoa!

I want one. That is pretty freaking sick. So, I'm intrigued, how does the inside look? Is it a stack tube design like a cocker? Or is it single tube like a Nelson?

Actually, I just watched a video and now I'm not so sure lmao.

leed 11-04-2011 10:15 AM

So it's a mechanical pump Nova?

VagabondStarJXF 11-05-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leed (Post 259277)
So it's a mechanical pump Nova?

I don't know. What's a nova?

edit:
Yay! I've found some (total of 4) 12g caplets hiding away with my T9! Erm... I think I'll strip it down, clean out the dow55 and relube with petroleum jelly before I gas it up... Just to be good, y'know, because I'd already cleaned out the trigger frame 'n stuff. I won't have a chance to buy any more 12g's before the new year so I figure it's a good idea to cycle the correct lube through the internals before I run out of gas. :)

Ace24 11-06-2011 06:49 AM

Lol the owner before you may have already damaged the valve with the dow

HelpDeskHustler 11-06-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VagabondStarJXF (Post 259280)
I don't know. What's a nova?

edit:
Yay! I've found some (total of 4) 12g caplets hiding away with my T9! Erm... I think I'll strip it down, clean out the dow55 and relube with petroleum jelly before I gas it up... Just to be good, y'know, because I'd already cleaned out the trigger frame 'n stuff. I won't have a chance to buy any more 12g's before the new year so I figure it's a good idea to cycle the correct lube through the internals before I run out of gas. :)

Petroleum jelly? got any white lithium or dow 33?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace24 (Post 259285)
Lol the owner before you may have already damaged the valve with the dow

Probably just the orings... the rest of the valve should be fine. I'm not sure why anyone would willingly slather on D55. That stuff is supposed to be so minimal only and in very limited situations (timmies).

VagabondStarJXF 11-06-2011 09:39 AM

According to the Metadyne vid the Thumper is designed for petroleum jelly (aka Vaseline) only.

The previous owner just tried what he had laying about in his toolkit. He told me that he'd tried a little but it didn't have much effect so he added more and more until it was smooth. No bother to me. I'll just have to degrease then change out the o-rings, I guess, and I'll be good to go. Now I just need to buy some more degreaser. I've ran out.