Spyder Forums

Spyder Forums (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/index.php)
-   Non-Paintball Topics (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Considering Serving (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=20212)

marvin-martian 06-12-2009 10:23 AM

Considering Serving

I am going into my 3rd year of college next fall (Im also behind on credits due to changing majors), and am currently on the path of majoring in International Relations/Global Affairs (to go into intel/counter intel). I would like to have a focus on Russia because it has a good mix of personal interest and current need. All my life I have toyed with the idea of doing something in the military or SWAT or something of the sort, but was never able to commit - mainly because i had no idea what i wanted to do with my life. Right now I'm thinking about it both because of my interest, and because i think it will be a nice resume booster.

The problem is that I have no idea what would be the most beneficial to me, or even what branch i should look at. I'm fairly sure I will enjoy whatever I do in the military, so how long I stay will be pending on how fast I get burned out. Any ideas I should take a look at?

TheDarkShadow 06-12-2009 10:45 AM

Re: Considering Serving

airforce would be cool

Hossy 06-12-2009 12:47 PM

I assume you want to go in as an Officer? or are you looking to drop out and just go Enlisted?

I would definitely suggest finishing school first, because I think being an officer is a pretty good deal. I dont know your screenname, but I could talk to you alot about this via AIM if your interested.

I would definitely say Marines or Navy, for two reasons. The Navy will let you do a lot of traveling (you said you liked Russia, idk if your interested in travel) but you also may get a chance to be aboard an Aircraft Carrier and those things are truely amazing. The Marines are well, the Marines. They do amazing things.

big_daddy_d 06-12-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hossy (Post 241490)
The Marines are well, the Marines. They do amazing things.

I beg to differ, I spent 3 weeks with them in the field in Thailand, and their only interests were procuring scorpions to fight them in the barracks, killing any and all wild life in site, and talking about dry humping the first thing that didn't have a weiner that moved when they got their liberty pass in Pattaya. Was an eye opener.

marvin-martian 06-12-2009 07:44 PM

My dad recommended that i look into Cryptology. Anybody have information on this?

irishwarrior 06-12-2009 08:16 PM

Look at CIA, NSA, and other organizations that deal in Comms and intel. For Intel-based I would check out the Air Force.

marvin-martian 06-12-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishwarrior (Post 241517)
Look at CIA, NSA, and other organizations that deal in Comms and intel. For Intel-based I would check out the Air Force.

thats actually where i currently plan on ending up, and i figured the military would definitely help me get in, or give me a place to be if things go sour.

buffblackbird2002 06-13-2009 03:48 AM

Me being in the Air Force, i say come to the Blue Side. They take care of thier own alot better than i have seen other branches. Army and marines are taking the brunt of the war right now and you can suffer from some serious mental and physical trauma in those two branches. The Navy takes good care of its people but i dont here about much interaction with outside families, i have a cousin in the navy right now, married, two kids. And just because its the Navy doesnt mean you will get stationed on a ship or in water. forementioned cousin is stationed at the great ocean base of Tinker AFB, Oklahoma. Like i said, the air force takes good care of families along with its troops. Basic training in all branches is just one big mind game, if you are in good physical shape, you will make it past all the physical training B.S. Wherever you may go, as long as you do your time, do what your told, and make it out with an honorable discharge (if you dont make it to retirement) being a veteran will help you many many times over for jobs on the outside world.

RSX99 06-13-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin-martian (Post 241485)
I am going into my 3rd year of college next fall (Im also behind on credits due to changing majors), and am currently on the path of majoring in International Relations/Global Affairs (to go into intel/counter intel). I would like to have a focus on Russia because it has a good mix of personal interest and current need. All my life I have toyed with the idea of doing something in the military or SWAT or something of the sort, but was never able to commit - mainly because i had no idea what i wanted to do with my life. Right now I'm thinking about it both because of my interest, and because i think it will be a nice resume booster.

The problem is that I have no idea what would be the most beneficial to me, or even what branch i should look at. I'm fairly sure I will enjoy whatever I do in the military, so how long I stay will be pending on how fast I get burned out. Any ideas I should take a look at?

Marv, sounds like you would be best suited to finish college and either go in as a Officer or go the enlisted/ OCS route. Don't waste your time as enlisted unless you really want to work and not get credit where credit is due. I say this because I was an IS2(SW) in the Navy. The Ship's Intelligence Officer takes all the glory while we're in the trenches.

On another note, I'm not sure which branch would best suit you. Chairforce and Navy have the best schooling, but if camaraderie is what you look for, Marines are your choice. We worked hand in hand with the Marine intel staff and they're extremely professional but have a great sense of morale as well.

I think you would be best suited for intelligence vice cryptology. Cryptologists in the Navy basically intercept/send messages and decrypt/encrypt them. I'm sure with an intelligence background you can get into the NSA/CIA if you work for it.

marvin-martian 06-13-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSX99 (Post 241553)
Marv, sounds like you would be best suited to finish college and either go in as a Officer or go the enlisted/ OCS route. Don't waste your time as enlisted unless you really want to work and not get credit where credit is due. I say this because I was an IS2(SW) in the Navy. The Ship's Intelligence Officer takes all the glory while we're in the trenches.

Ideally, I would sign a contract that would let me finish my degree first. If I cant do that, I will just wait to join until after college. I have no intentions of joining until thats all done with.

And thanks everyone for your input/direction. I have alot to consider.